Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crossfit

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Crossfit

I did my first crossfit session today and I think i might keel over.

interested in seeing what people do for their sessions. I just pulled one up online and did it.

post your crossfit workout of the day!

mtbr member
    After doing, on and off, a couple of years of cross fit, I've concluded that I think there are some great exercises in there (the core strength stuff is great), but the intensity needs to be more gradual.

If you work out, and are so sore, that you need several days of inactive recovery......that is worst than working out, then following up with more exercises sessions (cycling, running, snowshoe, etc.), during those same days. Especially true if you're training for cycling.
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 04-13-2012 at 08:45 AM.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    I just had my second crossfit workout today. I ended up buying a groupon for it and I am sore as heck. Our workout today was 3 rounds of 10 jump squats 10 pushups 10 wall balls and 200 m run. I think I will enjoy it I just have to adjust to the intense interval aspect of it. I want to couple crossfit with mountainbiking this summer. I hope to see some good results.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I think that crossfit is great for general fitness and the culture helps with motivation. Just make sure to do alternative exercises if you do not have the technique down for some of the exercises, i.e., snatch, cleans, etc.

For people that are new to weighlifting or people that are just starting should know that it is ok to do half the amount of sets/reps when they first start. They can work their way up to the prescribed WOD.

mtbr member
    That is kind of what I did today. I know the exercises are timed and there is always room to improve in that sense. I really hated the wall balls today. My biceps and chest hurt more today than my legs do from all the squats.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If you haven't already, go to this site , they have the workout of the day posted

mtbr member
    I love crossfit. I'm a big fan of the compound, fundamental exercises and like the intensity. However I stopped doing it when I got serious about getting faster on the bike. So many of the exercises and workouts target the lower body. My riding alone leaves my legs sore for much of the week...if I attacked my legs with CF a couple of times a week I would never be able to ride

mtbr member
    I am still trying to adjust to the intensity. How long does this take to usually get acclimated to it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Don't count on the soreness going away to quickly. The program stops the plateau effect of traditional weights by always changing up. I find Crossfit great for general fitness and health. As a competitive master MTB and CXer I think it helps overall bike fitness but more than likely may hinder the high end that only specialized interval training with fresh legs can bring. The results from the average Joe's at our local gym(box) are fairly impressive. I stopped Crossfit last fall the week before the CX season. My best results were early in same season when I was the strongest. I was literally running past faster riders on the runups like they were standing still. Mostly I feel due to the amount of box jumps, squats and short runs I did in crossfit more than likely all above LTHR really helped prepare me.

mtbr member
    That's what I am really looking for the general better fitness and health. I don't mind the soreness. What I was wondering is of you adjust to the interval training aspect. Will your body adjust to not feeling sick after you do crossfit for a bit? You really don't have a successful workout unless your sore after it in my eyes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I did "Annie" last night after a 1 mile run warm up...

Crossfit changed my body for sure. I was getting bigger (it made me heavier), my aerobic threshold was improved, but I felt it wasn't helping me to become a better rider or runner. So I've backed off of the "hardcore" Crossfit workouts and I mix WOD's in with my running and riding. I stick to bodyweight exercises and if I do the lifts I use lighter weights and dumbells. I love pull ups, handstand push ups, push ups, burpees, and doubleunders. I use an app on my iPhone called myWOD. I like it... I even got my Crossfit Coach to break out his road bike and let me do a tune up on it so he can go ride with me...
    Brandon
    09 Santa Cruz Superlight
    00 Diamondback XR-4
    99 Specialized S-Works

mnoutain bkie rdier
    My chiro loves crossfit. He says it keeps him in business.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Love that quote. Crossfit is terrible, just plain dangerous. No evaluation such as a Functional Movement Screen and the sequencing of exercises is none. Crossfit gives true strength professionals a bad name. Just my opinion. Here is a great article written by a smart strength coach. Enjoy.
    What Crossfit is and isn’t | IPT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AE Beej View Post
    I am still trying to adjust to the intensity. How long does this take to usually get acclimated to it?
    About two - three weeks for me. Then the soreness is a non issue.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I dont think the purpose of the post was to start a Crossfit debate. I dont do Crossfit but i think it holds true for everything in life, it depends on the quality of the instructor/coach and that what your article was leading to.

ps I thought someone was going to get hurt in that vid

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Check out CrossFit Endurance. It's geared for endurance athletes, and is a great way to train if you're limited on time. Two interval sessions and one longer stamina session per week on the bike. Three to four strength and conditioning WODs per week. Remember to start slow and scale the weights and reps to YOUR level. Technique FIRST, then add intensity and volume.
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

mtbr member
    WOD=Work out of the Day??

am I right?
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

mtbr member
    Crossfit is fast and intense. You will get a lot more out of it if you're already in shape. I sold off all my geared bikes and bought a SS hard tail with a 32x20 gearing. I ride it up a 3 mile fireroad at a 22% grade. It offers a similar intense workout like crossfit but more fun! My arms and legs get sore from this SS after 5 miles where I could ride a geared bike 30 miles on the same trails and feel like I didnt exercise at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My muscles are so confused

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    As a physio i was about to make this exact quote. I have nothing against funtional exercises such as the ones done within crossfit. My issues with programs such as crossfit are the lack of focus on proper form, lack of gradual progression and the risks that come with 'cult following' of fad exercise programs (eg peer pressure, watching & learning improper techniques)

I Ride Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by wilki View Post
    As a physio i was about to make this exact quote. I have nothing against funtional exercises such as the ones done within crossfit. My issues with programs such as crossfit are the lack of focus on proper form, lack of gradual progression and the risks that come with 'cult following' of fad exercise programs (eg peer pressure, watching & learning improper techniques)

You apparently know nothing about Crossfit. Or you have a really bad Crossfit gym in your area that give this type of workout a bad name.

Have you actually been to a crossfit gym and tried out some of the workouts?

At the local crossfit gym in my area they will not let you do any of the prescribed workouts in this first couple of months. You can be built like a young Arnold Schwarzennager and they still won't let you lift the prescribed weight for that workout. They want to make sure you know what you are doing. They don't want to assume you can do it. They might even lessen the reps too. The coaches attend nutrition seminars, olympic weightlifiting classes, spend thousands of dollars on certifications, create special workouts geared to your type of goal. The workouts are very gradual. There are many people at the gym who are still doing lesser weights. Heck even I can't do the prescribed weights. They are also very focused on form especially when it comes to weightlifting areas. They train you on a pvc bar that might weigh 2 pounds. Then after you can get the form down they actually let you pick up the bar.

My overall fitness has increased because of the simple crossfit wods that I do. Plain and simple.

The ones who get hurt in any kind of workout are the ones who don't stay within their boundaries.

The next time you come to Hawaii, hit up Big Island Crossfit. Your first workout is free!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post

They are also very focused on form especially when it comes to weightlifting areas.

The ones who get hurt in any kind of workout are the ones who don't stay within their boundaries.
    Are you serious. The whole Crossfit premise is "as many as you can as fast as you can." Or just "as fast as you can". Proper form is thrown out the window. Your gym may focus on using proper form on something like learning the snatch, but when it comes time to do the exercise in the WOD, form is sacrificed for time. I've been to 3 different gyms, worked out with a couple guys that have been doing it for a year, and the result is the same. Get done as fast as you can, with total dis-regard to proper form.

I Ride Bikes
    Hey man I'm basing my experience off the gym in my area. Like I said there are gyms out there that give crossfit a bad name.

It's funny cause I watch videos on youtube of other crossfit gyms and some people don't know how to do a proper burpee! The coaches are right there too and they aren't correcting them.

For example if you're doing pull-ups and you don't go all the way down, lock the elbows open, then go all the way back up and get your chin over the bar, then that rep does not count. If your chest doesn't touch the ground when you're doing a burpee that rep doesn't count.

FORM counts at the Crossfit gym I go to. From burpees to snatches. It all matters at the gym I go to. The coaches don't want anyone to get hurt.

Yes you do go as fast as you can, but like I said before, you must stay within your ability.

mtbr member
    I think its a great tool if done correctly. I emphasize correctly. However, its not the end all when it comes to fitness. Your gyms that are successful have onramp programs that hammer down the 9 basic movements of crossfit, and until you can do these movements with a decent amount of proficiency your not allowed to move up. Nobody that comes in the door regardless of athletic experience is not subjected. However, these are the GOOD gyms. Unfortunately for every 1 good gym there is probably about 5. Crossfit only requires a Level 1 cert for you to open a gym, and thats its.

I have been Cross fitting for about 2 years now. I am a Level 1 Crossfit Trainer, not that that means much hah, you get certified over 2 days/weekend of training and it adds alot of good tools to your skill-set if your looking to add to your crossfit experience.

Crossfit was a good change from my other routine. I was doing it 2-3 days a week initially. After 4 months I showed some good progress. I was able to dedicate myself 5-6 days a week to it on a cushy deployment when life wasnt in the way along with other things like passions, and home. The results were greater, but at age 33 I always found myself achy, and nursing something I was aggravating during a WOD. I was lighter than I had ever been, but I had found my strength plateaued and was falling off the lighter I got.

I basically quit doing Crossfit about 3 months ago before riding season. My summer program consists of a structured simple 5-7 rep, squat, deadlift, and Olympic Lifting routine with some rowing intervals working the 60-80% range for maxes. Not bashing crossfit, but my body feels alot better, my riding is alot better, stronger than ever without all the aches and pains of before. Coupled with a 3-4 days of week of XC, and DH on weekend things are looking good. Plus its nice to be able to step up to squat rack and squat 405, deadlift 475 and and weigh 190lbs. I'll probably go back doing some Crossfit style workouts during the winter, but not anytime soon.
    Last edited by nojoke; 07-16-2012 at 12:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I started Crossfit this year and have visited and done trials at a lot of different Crossfit gym. Each one is independently owned so you can't judge them all the same.

I have to say form and safety is the number one goal at the Crossfit gym I work out at. If you attend out Olympic lifting class you will notice some members will stick with just the bar or very little weight on it because the coach won't let you add weight until he feels your form is good enough to add weight to the bar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast