Thread: Cross race?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Cross race?

hey, i know it's a mountain bike forum, but don't know any other forums so thought i'd post here.

race mountain bikes (nothing serious, cat 3), and was thinking of trying a cross race. I've never even seen one however. If i show up and do a race, will i just be lost/embarassed? ie, no fun?

Should i do a clinic of some sort first? (it's proving hard to find any around here, tho i know they exist somewhere)

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Just go...have fun. Watch a couple of youtube videos for dismount/remount tips. Cross races are all about fun...except for when you are suffering.. ")

mtbr member
    Lots of fun! Theres also a cyclocross forum on mtbr...

Cyclocross

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    They're short races, expect high intensity for 30min. You may have to buy a USAC license, one day licenses are available for beginner categories. Mountain bikes are allowed in my area, but they must not have 'forward facing bar ends'. I wondered about the bar-end rule for a long time; it has to be because so much of the course is made up of 'caution tape' on stakes, about handlebar height, with so many riders bumping the tape, bar ends would catch more easily and just a few riders could tear down half the course during each group.
    That rule was in effect when I first started cx in 'open' class in 91, -nearly everybody used bar ends at that time, at the start of the first race most guys had gaps on the ends of their bars because they had just removed the bar ends moments before.
    It's very fun, and a great way to learn to race in traffic, also a great way to build speed and stay fit in the fall. The barriers are no big deal, there's usually only a couple per lap, the run-ups may hurt you if you're not used to running up a hill while carrying your bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just do it! I'm 51 and did my first one this past weekend. I also have done a few XC races in the beginner cat. This was the most fun I've had. I rode my mountain bike and no training needed. I just watched some you tube videos so I knew what to expect. Everybody was having fun including the spectators. Just peddle your ass off for 30-40 minutes you'll enjoy it.

I'd rather be riding
    Cross is boss!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    awesome, thanks guys....thx fakie didn't know there was a cross forum on here! whoops.

yeah, jim no worries on the bike. i have a mid-level cross bike that i use for popping around town/commuting, so i'd just use that.

well, guess i'll pick one of the smaller, less intense ones (not Provi maybe!) and just show up!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I just started this season and am having a blast! Do it and have fun!

Practice mounting/dismounting (youtube videos are good, but if you can find a clinic or someone to show you, even better; on the remount, don't jump on like you see in a lot of youtube videos - start slowly and just swing your leg over your bike and don't get in the bad habit of doing an extra hop with your left leg). Practice running with your bike over barriers (logs will do).

Also, go to your local park and practice cornering on grass - especially early in the morning when the grass is wet. In our area, Cat 5 races are first, so the grass can be dewy.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I did my first one this year. It was dang AWESOME! The other guys are right, CX is all about fun.