mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Cross Country frame sub $1,000 for a beginner

I'd been riding a hardtail (Yeti ARC) since I started cycling, but I had a non-bike back injury last year which causes me to feel every bump in the trail. I installed a higher stem and used a Thudbuster, and although it helps, I need a full suspension rig.

I have no experience when it comes to full suspension bikes. I'm looking for a cross-country frame to soak up the bumps. I'll be transferring all my components from the hardtail to the new frame. The fork is a Marzocchi Marathon Race 80mm.

I don't do any jumps or kamikaze runs - just a lot of laid back, easy riding, usually over fire trails or gravel roads, with some potholes and bumps. So what frame would you recommend sub $1000? I have looked at the Cannondale Rush, Ibex Asta, and for a bit more than a $1,000, the Santa Cruz Superlight. There are so many choices and my head is spinning.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Are you looking for new or used frames?

What kind of riding do you do? XC race, Trail,etc.
    Standard advice Test ride Test Ride Test Ride Test Ride.

There are so many designs and bikes out there its tough to say "here ya go this is the one for people whos backs hurt". The Santa Cruz stuff is really nice. I demo'd a blur and was really impressed. The VPP frame design really does a good job of preventing BOB while soaking up the bumps. The Superlight is a simpler design hence its lighter and cost less, but it does not have VPP. I have never ridden one but I bet the ride is alot harsher then a Blur.

Also gotta reccomend Titus. Racer X or Motolite. My Racer X is the best frame I have had. 2 high mileage seasons and 0 issues. No loose bushings, no creaking, No all that stuff that I have delt with on other frames. Not the plushest or most BOB free ride in existance (IMHO), but the bike works day after day after day.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

CB2
    Jam Econo
    A very high percentage of my riding buddies are on Cannondales and they love them. The latest to get a C'dale tested a Stumpjumper, and a Kona Stinky Deluxe before choosing the Rush.
    I personally am not a fan of the proprietary technology C'dale uses. Not that it isn't good stuff, I just don't like that you need a bunch of new tools to service your bike (if you do the work yourself).

mtbr member
    find a lightly used turner flux - or get a new 06 closeout.....

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Anthem

I got a last year model anthem frameset for $700. I think retail was right at 1000. It would mate up well with your 80mm fork. E-bay usually has one or two framesets in the $600 range.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.