mtbr member
    Jul 2008

crazy idea - pls. help (mtb/road x-over)

Gents,

i'm a recreational biker at best, but would like to bike 10K vertical feet in a single ride when i'm in Maui in couple of months. I would love your advice on any and all parts of the project. Specifically, i currently only own a mtb ('11 epic comp 29er), have not riden a road bike for ~15 years, and will likely do 90%+ of my preparation on mtb. Once in Maui i will rent a road bike and will do the ride on the road bike (likely Specialized 2011 Secteur Comp). I will of course try to rent/borrow a road bike for some prep. rides before the "race day". I would love to hear advice on any of the following (and other, perhaps even more important issues i have missed):

1) how many rides on the road bike should i do minimum, how many optimally?
    2) what are best pedal/shoes for dual use - mbt/road? -- i need to get new pair of both shoes and pedals and am planning to get them for my mtb, but wondering if certain types/setups are better for road than others. right now planning to get the Pro mbt shoe from specialized and likely some kind of crank brothers pedals.
    3) if i were to invest a get a road bike, which bike(s) from specialized would you recommend (pls. include the exact model, not just the family) thanks.
    4) how should i adjust the training to prepare for the transition from mtb to road
    5) more broadly, any tips about how to train, what to eat/dring during the race etc?
    6) other?

Thank!
    m.

Feral Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by slav View Post
    Gents,

i'm a recreational biker at best, but would like to bike 10K vertical feet in a single ride when i'm in Maui in couple of months. I would love your advice on any and all parts of the project. Specifically, i currently only own a mtb ('11 epic comp 29er), have not riden a road bike for ~15 years, and will likely do 90%+ of my preparation on mtb. Once in Maui i will rent a road bike and will do the ride on the road bike (likely Specialized 2011 Secteur Comp). I will of course try to rent/borrow a road bike for some prep. rides before the "race day". I would love to hear advice on any of the following (and other, perhaps even more important issues i have missed):

1) how many rides on the road bike should i do minimum, how many optimally?
    optimal- All of them

minimal - Most of them.

You need to get your road bike position/saddle type/bars dialed in to be as pain free as possible on a long ride. You'd be way better off to rent a bike that you can easily duplicate
    the same setup as you use in training. While a lighter road bike will help you climb 10K faster, your chances of actually finishing a 10K vert ride are much higher on a bike that fits you.

2) what are best pedal/shoes for dual use - mbt/road? -- i need to get new pair of both shoes and pedals and am planning to get them for my mtb, but wondering if certain types/setups are better for road than others. right now planning to get the Pro mbt shoe from specialized and likely some kind of crank brothers pedals.
    I use the same shoes/pedals for both MTB and road. As long as you're using a quality well fitting stiff MTB shoe, there is minimal difference.

3) if i were to invest a get a road bike, which bike(s) from specialized would you recommend (pls. include the exact model, not just the family) thanks.
    Specialized Roubaix with a Triple crank. - Good long distance riding bike.

4) how should i adjust the training to prepare for the transition from mtb to road
    5) more broadly, any tips about how to train, what to eat/dring during the race etc?
    Just ride lot's of hills. A bike's a bike and there isn't all that much difference between MTB and road as far as going uphill is concerned.

10K in a day isn't that outrageous that you need lot's of specialized training. As far as eating and drinking, you need to do lot's of both and the only way to figure out what works for you is to try different things on long training rides.

Work on getting in one long ride a week, and gradually increasing the length of that ride until you're getting close in time to the time you'll be spending on a bike for the event. You want to build up to at least 75% time. There is simply no substitute for long training rides, if you want to minimize your suffering during long events.

Intervals and other speed training are nice, but only after you've build up to the long training ride.

- Booker C. Bense

ups and downs
    You don't indicate whether that's one 10k climb as in 10,000 feet elevation when you're done, or whether that's your accumulated elevation gain. If that's one long volcano climb then your biggest issue is going to be a lack of oxygen once you're up above 8000' elevation.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

^^ i'm guessing it's the Haleakala climb? 10k in 38 miles

normally i'd say get used to sitting in a road bike saddle, which seems to put a lot more chaff on the butt than a mountain bike because there's less moving around....and the overall riding positions different. but over 40 miles of nothing but climbing you might be standing up and alternating positions a good portion of the time anyways....and standing up is standing up, regardless of the bike fit. i wouldn't worry so much about what brand/model bike and fit. you can make virtually any bike a right or wrong fit with different spacers, stems, seat position, crank lengths/widths...etc. ....just bring the saddle you like the most and attach it to whatever bike you rent.

is it a race or a ride? (you mentioned both)
    just doing it to finish? doing it to finish without feeling terrible the whole way? or trying to beat other people to the top?

if it's the former two, i'd just go ride up a lot of hills between now and then. the more the better, while giving yourself adequate rest. i don't know where you live or what your options for hills are, but if you can mix it up and keep it interesting it's nice. short (~5 min) steep ones at a hard pace...almost as hard as you can go, then repeat x times. long (10 mile+?) at a slower pace. the key is ride uphill, because it's definitely a different style and takes a different kind of pedaling than riding on the flats.

experiment with nutrition when you train to find out what works for your stomach.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit View Post
    standing up is standing up, regardless of the bike fit. .
    Absolutely false. Bike fit matters just as much when you are standing as when you are sitting.

because the bars may be oriented slightly differently. with respect to this conversation and renting a bike for a day i'm not sure that distinction will change anything of significance.

mtbr member
    i'm a recreational biker at best, but would like to bike 10K vertical feet in a single ride when i'm in Maui in couple of months. I would love your advice on any and all parts of the project.
    Start at the top and go down.

Sorry. I couldn't resist. Good luck on hitting your goal.

mtbr member
    If you're going to be using a rental bike then I'd suggest taking your own saddle and pedals along, in order to swap them over before the event. The saddle on an unfamiliar rental bike may or may not suit you so it's best to stick with what you know will be comfortable. Mountain bike pedals and shoes are fine on the road. By doing that two of the three contact points are what you're familiar with, which will reduce the risk of any nasty surprises. Set the rental bike's saddle height and distance behind the bottom bracket as close to the measurements from the bike you've been riding as possible.

If your fitness is good from mountain biking then that ought to largely transfer across to riding a road bike. The main thing is to get used to riding a road bike again as it will have a slightly different position to your mountain bike. It takes your muscles a little time to get used to pedalling in a different position. Ideally you'd do 50-100% of your riding for the build up to the event on a road bike but at a push you could leave it to just the 1-2 weeks before the event. The longer the ride the more important it is to get accustomed to the riding position beforehand.

For training I'd make a point of doing plenty of road rides at a constant pace without any pauses or breaks. Long climbs are all about pacing yourself and measuring out your effort. You could always put some 700c road tyres on your Specialized Epic as a way of doing practice road rides straight away too.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I did Mauna Kea to 9500 feet...

80+ K from Sea Level...

Use road tires I had knobbies (ouch)..

Elevation is gonna hurt, so is hydration, get somebody to refill your water every 2 to 3 hours...

Gotta eat so they can bring food too.

It can get cold up at the top even if it is 30 C at sea level...they can bring clothes too.

Don't be afraid to take a break as well...

My support team got bored, and said I was on my own after 9500 ft....so I quit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for all the great advice.
    it is the Haleakala volcano (so one continuous 10K climb).
    based on your guys' advice i'm getting a road bike to train on. i was hoping (more just wishing) i can get away without doing that, but it seems that'd a disaster/injury waiting to happen. can you guys further advise what bike to get -- i'm getting the specialized secteur 2011 as that's the one the bike shop in maui rents and also its easier on the wallet than roubaix, but i'm not sure which specific model within the Secteur family to get. i know this is a mtb forum, but assume people have road bikes as well and there will be some great advice again. thanks!
    m.

Feral Roadie
    Thanks for all the great advice.
    it is the Haleakala volcano (so one continuous 10K climb).
    based on your guys' advice i'm getting a road bike to train on. .
    There are lot's of great reasons to own a road bike, but IMHO this one ride isn't it.

I was thinking you'd be doing a 10K vert ride which would be somewhere in the range of 80-100 miles and 6+ hours riding.

If you're just riding straight up for 38 miles, I don't see any particular reason to do it on a road bike. Do it on a bike that is a reasonable approximation to your current bike. And at 8K+ I think you'll really appreciate the lower gears on a hybrid or MTB bike.

In terms of all the different models, this one seems the best value to me.

Specialized Bicycle Components : Secteur Elite Triple

Shimano 105 gets you a lot of bang for the buck. But the lower priced models will probably work just fine as well. Tiagra and Sora work just fine in my experience, they are just a little heavier.

There are lot's of great reasons to own a road bike, but IMHO this one ride isn't it.
    agreed.

spending $1000 on a bike to train for 3 months is a little crazy unless you can really afford it.
    and the value's gonna depreciate pretty fast because it's new, and we're at the end of the model year.

if you're committed to riding/training on the road after this event, then it'll be worthwhile. but if not, it's more or less a waste and i'd imagine it'd be more fun to blow that $1000 while on vacation in hawaii.

i'd train on the bike you currently have, then transfer the seat/pedals over. i really don't think the fit is gonna make all that much difference in comfort/speed/finishing ability in under 40 miles.