mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Crashing and increased thirst? Hydrating before and during race.

Looking for feedback on hydration before and during race

I had a race yesterday and developed dehydration symptoms in approx. 30m into race (dry mouth, slight headache, dizziness). I may have (did?) had my last drink of water about 30m before start. Peed clear right before that - I usually am walking around with a water bottle. It was 90 outside and fairly humid (approx 40%).

I did train Tues and Thurs prior at same location with temps mid to high 90's and humid.

Usually during approx 1.5 hr race I go thru less than 24oz of Gatorade during race and feel OK (I have some left at end and chug it). I weigh 150lbs.

Yesterday, I went thru 24 oz in a little over an hour and then in last 30 min of race drank about another 20 oz. Drank a lot (estimated 48 oz of recovery drink, juice, water afterword and did not have to pee for hours) I realize I got dehydrated

At start of race, I slid out hard in fast turn (18mph).

A doctor friend of mine was at race and he said contusion from fall would cause fluids to go to injury.

I am not doubting him, but has anyone experienced this also?

Does anyone hydrate before race with sportsdrink? I have read on friel site nothing but clear water 1hr before race.

How much do you guys drink during race - I use water bottles and hard to get a chance to drink.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    90 and humid means lots of drinking. I've switched entirely to CamelBaks for racing, it's too hard to get a bottle when riding. For me, way easier to grab the hose. Two races ago here in Iowa it was 95+ and high humidity, I drained a 70oz CamelBak and actually picked up a dropped bottle on course as I was most certainly going into mild heat stroke. If it weren't for the dropped bottle I would have stopped, just too hot. If your getting dizzy, cold, goosbumps etc. it's onset of heat stroke and you need to either stop exerting or drink more.

As for what I drink, all water prior and during the race. After the race I drink a chocolate milk, 1 or 2 32oz Gatorade(s) and more water -- and beer of course Also I can't stand bananas so I take 2 SaltStik capsules prior to the race (Salt/Potassium pills) to help with fluid retention and muscle cramping.

psycho cyclo addict
    I hydrate prior to races with water. My consumption goes up dramatically (4-5x maybe) around mid 80 degree temperatures (Mid Atlantic region with high humidity too).

I tend to carry a Camelback more often in races for the same reason as RCook stated- it takes much less effort and focused attention to drink from a Camelback than handling a bottle.

As for recovery, I've always been skeptical of the chocolate milk approach (and still view it as a US national dairy council marketing maneuver). The often referenced 4:1 carbs to protein ratio is more like 2:1 so there are many options other than chocolate milk. This is a good article about it Is Chocolate Milk Really Best for Recovery? | Runner's World

On hotter days, I may drink Gatorade then water and definitely a couple of beers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    You may have overheated more than gotten dehydrated, I don't see why they two can't occur separately.
    Carmichael (in time crunched cyclist) says it's critical to drink 24 oz of sports drink in the 90 min prior to a race. I usually skip the coffee on race day, and I usually drink probably too much coffee, and I start drinking the cytomax (or whatever) and get a large bike bottle down in the 90-20 min time frame pre race. Then sip on sports drink until the start. If it's warm I brink a 2nd bottle of water in case I want plain water, and also to squirt on my head/face/shoulders/chest if I'm feeling too warm. For a really hot day I think I would resurrect my old camelback and pack it with icewater or iced sports drink.
    I totally agree that your crash could have made you feel bad in lots of ways, one of my bigger 'bonks' happened immediately after I endoed down a bank. I was smoking fast that day, top 10 in a field of 75 in c1 (a long time ago), did the endo and the bonk came right after. I was young and stupid (in some ways) and did not bring food or sports drink, but I did have 2 water bottles.
    Yeah, try a couple of sports drinks to see what you like, and try the 24oz drink in the 90-20 min time frame prior to the race and see how you feel. Last longer race I did that, drank a few oz just prior (peed 10 min before start), 2 24oz bottles during and shortly after, another 48 oz or more in the hour or three post race, and still didn't have to pee until hours later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks

I will start trying hydrating with sports drink before race as suggested (I have read also, best in a slushie form to cool core temp). Also water bottle to cool body.

I found this recent article on racing in the heat interesting:
    Racing in the Heat: Are You*Ready? - Posts - TrainingPeaks Blog