aka bOb

Crash a spinner bike?

Just to lighten it up a little, am I the only smuck ever to crash a stationary spinner bike? And Yes it is possible!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i almost crashed my bike while attached to a trainer once. was watching "Between the Tape" during a workout and was sort of into the action. i was ducking and weaving with the action and then tried to bunny hop a log with the rider on TV... not a good idea.

AZ
    banned
    Was it OTB ?

bi-winning
    Has not happened to me... yet.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

i stopped pedaling once while clipped in, thinking it was a freewheel when its really a fixed gear. almost tore my knees apart. i think the whole thing came off the ground, and i got thrown into a standing position.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Was it OTB ?
    Yes, I was about 45 mins. into it and standing trying to make an imaginary hill "YES" I made it went to sit down and didn't keep my cadence OTB!! Man they need to put some type of free wheel on them things and yes I was clipped in.

ups and downs
    I'm sure there will lots of roller disaster stories out there.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    I'm sure there will lots of roller disaster stories out there.
    a buddy of mine was watching some car race on tv while riding his rollers, he accidentally steered as a reaction to a crash and slammed into the wall next to his television.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme
    a buddy of mine was watching some car race on tv while riding his rollers, he accidentally steered as a reaction to a crash and slammed into the wall next to his television.
    I have heard tales of people who have T-boned their TV when something went wrong on the rollers at speed.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    For some reason when I am on the spinner I never forget to keep spinning, so I never had a mishap. But on my fixed road bike, it happened a couple of times and it is as scary as it is unpleasant. But climbing on a fixed bike is one of the best feelings.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme
    I've done that on rollers, only while watching a Giro video.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    For some reason when I am on the spinner I never forget to keep spinning, so I never had a mishap. But on my fixed road bike, it happened a couple of times and it is as scary as it is unpleasant. But climbing on a fixed bike is one of the best feelings.
    I've never had an issue on the spin bike either, but the thought of riding a fixie scares the crap out of me!

mtbr member
    Riding a fixed bike is definitely an acquired taste. I am still on the fence about it, even though I enjoy the challenge and absolutely love the climbing.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    I almost crashed when my rear tire blew on my trainer. It made a loud BANG!, I wobbled around for a bit but got my foot down alright.

Complete Bastard
    One time I was in the basement riding rollers and a light fixture burst into flames. Actual fire, on the wooden beams. I completely forgot I was even on a bike and tried to run over to it while still clipped in and pedaling. That didn't turn out well. Luckily, I did extricate myself from the bike and get over there in time to prevent anything serious from happening.

mtbr member
    A guy in our club came off his rollers and stuck his arm through the glass of a french door. He was home alone and bled to death in seconds.

I had JUST bought a set of rollers to try when this happened. I returned them unopened...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    why didn't you just return your french doors.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF
    A guy in our club came off his rollers and stuck his arm through the glass of a french door. He was home alone and bled to death in seconds.

I had JUST bought a set of rollers to try when this happened. I returned them unopened...
    Well the obvious answer is that the French are at fault again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    IMO it's not the right time for comments like that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atown117
    IMO it's not the right time for comments like that.
    S'alright--I didn't know the guy personally and it was 10-12 years ago. Totally freak accident anyway--I'll bet the guy was cussing at himself and calling himself a dumbass for as long as he was conscious.

I actually knew his (non-cycling) wife better--she worked in my building. But she quit and moved away with their 2 year old daughter not long after. The little girl was the only one home when it happened but I don't know if she saw him, if he was trying to comfort her or tell her to call 911 while he bled out or if she was traumatized or anything--didn't know the family that well and didn't want to pry.

It was ironic for me because I'd literally gotten rollers that week just to try them--I was pretty new to road riding anyway--and I was concerned about coming off them. Well, this fellow's accident was enough to keep me off the things 'til just a couple years ago when I again bought a set and learned to use them easily in a couple of sessions. They're more challenging and fun than a trainer, but still pretty boring. And I don't ride them near anything breakable...

aka bOb

Broken

Update on the spinner bike OTB crash, went to see the doc today= broken ankle

Bike Geek
    Mar 2005
    I have a good one. When I first started racing I borrowed a performance mag trainer from a buddy. I was in my living room riding at 16-17 mph. I am about ten or so feet away from the tv. All of the sudden the bolt on the non clamp side busts and releases me onto the floor. I instantly crash as the bike hits the ground and tries to take off. It was quite crazy for about 10 secs. If I had a camera on me it would have been absolutely hilarious. No injuries.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    that is a good one, an old one ,lovely bit of urban err bicycle myth, even hoping off a set of rollers at 30+ doesn't rocket you forward, the only momentum is that of your wheels on a trainer the front wheel isn't even moving. So the 3/4 inch coarse threaded axle clamp released instantly,interesting

Smarter Than He Looks
    My first spin class - the instructor keeps saying 'and another small turn to the right', but I can't get my handlebars to move!