Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

cramping & nutrition

I went for a ride this morning before it got too hot, went through 2L of water, had a good breakfast afterwards. I took an hour nap and went to the pool for. about 30min into my swin I started getting light cramping when I kicked off the wall in my quads,

i suspect its electrolyte issue but assuming it is, I don't think it's as simple as drinking Gatorade. In fact about 30min before I drank about 12oz of Gatorade.

I was just reading up on cramping (wiki) and found something interesting. Hypomagnesemia (low magnesium) and hypocalcaemia (low calcium) are both causes of cramping. Hypocalcaemia can also be brought on by having magnesium levels too high. where is the balance? Are these types of things normally measured in a blood test? I've been considering going for a ~4 hour bike ride then stopping into the doctor to get blood drawn. What else can i do?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Last edited by mjs1231; 01-25-2013 at 06:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Last edited by mjs1231; 01-25-2013 at 06:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Yep, organic juicing along with mega consumption of vegetables has changed my life. I started this past fall and since have slowed down a little. Now that all the holidays are over I need to ramp back up.

I can't speak to cramping, but now that you mention it, I haven't noticed having any muscle twitches lately - the quivering you mention. I used to have them all the time. Plus, I just generally feel better, and I sleep well now. Not bad for a chronic insomniac.

There are several of those documentaries on Netflix; I've seen a few of them. Very motivational.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by sixteenornumber View Post
    I went for a ride this morning before it got too hot, went through 2L of water, had a good breakfast afterwards. I took an hour nap and went to the pool for. about 30min into my swin I started getting light cramping when I kicked off the wall in my quads,

i suspect its electrolyte issue but assuming it is, I don't think it's as simple as drinking Gatorade. In fact about 30min before I drank about 12oz of Gatorade. What else can i do?
    Forget about Gatorade. Stay far away from it at all costs.

Pickle Juice

Sport Legs

Endurolytes

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Last edited by mjs1231; 01-25-2013 at 06:16 AM.

VIP
    Jun 2006
    mjs1231, no one can deny the benefits of fruit and veg but you sound like a snake-oil salesman.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by iwanttolookatpics View Post
    mjs1231, no one can deny the benefits of fruit and veg but you sound like a snake-oil salesman.
    +1 on the snake oil

also I got a rough estimate of what ate leading up to the cramping. This doesn't including the sweet potato pancakes or the muesli with rice milk which all have minimal salt, I had the following before the swim through a multi Vitamin and orange/grape fruit/carrot juice.

Potassium 750mg
    Magnesium 61mg
    Calsium 140mg
    Sodium 150mg

I don't know if these values are high or low but I suspect i may need more salt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    :::edit:::
    Last edited by sixteenornumber; 01-25-2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: double post

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    appreciation for help and freely giving information has only lead to personal attacks.

I'm removing all knowledge i have posted here and will be canceling my account.

I'm tired of these trash comments.

do the site a favor, STOP ATTACKING WHAT OTHER MEMBERS HAVE TO SAY.

add something helpful. stop bashing people with ignorant reply's.

and for you guys that actually like adding to the knowledge base, the bashers are ruining it for you all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Regarding the cramping. When I started racing, several years ago, I would always cramp by the final lap of the races. My coach and I attributed it to lack of electrolytes, lack of magnesium, dehydration, etc. I increased my consumption of those to no avail, the cramps persisted.
    It took a couple years of training and conditioning to get to the point where I rarely cramp now, and I do now longer and tougher races.

My conclusion is that we cramp when we ask our muscles to do an effort they are not prepared for, so nutrition alone will not solve it in the short run, only time and hard work will.

Of course, to sustain the level training and effort we need the electrolytes and proper nutrition.

BTW: stay away from Gatorade!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    +1 on AztecRider's conclusion.

I have cramped when swimming after a hard ride. Pushing off the wall is a pretty explosive move and you often keep your quads kind of flexed after you push off. That would definitely make me cramp after a decent ride where my legs feel fatigued.

mtbr member

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1231 View Post
    appreciation for help and freely giving information has only lead to personal attacks.

and for you guys that actually like adding to the knowledge base, the bashers are ruining it for you all.
    I can't speak to anything from other threads, but in THIS thread no one bashed what you said, but rather commented on HOW you said it. I came to the thread after you deleted your 'knowledge' so I can't judge it, but maybe, just maybe, you need to reassess your presentation. And, don't be so sensitive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs1231 View Post

sorry man, I didn't mean come off overly harsh. I was kinda laughing at the original snake oil comment. I will say you are defiantly very passionate about juicing and stuff. I did watch fat sick and nearly dead, great film.

one of the counter augments to juicing is that it's too much sugar. I heard a doctor recently say that orange juice is worse than soda. that being said, I did gene mapping about a year and a half ago. one of the things that I found interesting is that I'm something like 40% less likely to develop diabetes. A lot of people that I train with can't eat sugar like I do. everything is too sweet for them including eating tons of fruit. i would be curious to know if you carried the same gene that I do.
    Last edited by sixteenornumber; 01-25-2013 at 05:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

~ B A D A S S ~

i suspect its electrolyte issue but assuming it is, I don't think it's as simple as drinking Gatorade. In fact about 30min before I drank about 12oz of Gatorade.

I was just reading up on cramping (wiki) and found something interesting. Hypomagnesemia (low magnesium) and hypocalcaemia (low calcium) are both causes of cramping. Hypocalcaemia can also be brought on by having magnesium levels too high. where is the balance? Are these types of things normally measured in a blood test? I've been considering going for a ~4 hour bike ride then stopping into the doctor to get blood drawn. What else can i do?
    I had cramping some times like a few years ago after biking, my legs would lock up in a position and I would literally have to punch my quads as hard as possible with my hands while trying to open them, it hurt so much I almost cried. Just moving the legs would induce such a pain it was unreal. **** that.

For me it was salt deficiency. So now I use salt one or 2 times a week in my food.
    Have not seen the phenomenon since. btw I use salt with both potassium and sodium, like 50/50.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

SSOD
    Yeah +1 for finding a eleytrolite drink that doesn't contain simple sugars. Localized cramps are usually musclar difficiency and whole body cramps is a nutrition deficiency. Learn to ride through them if you can and carry something that will knock them out for you.

I've found mustard does it for me. I carry several packets in my jersey for races and if I feel them coming on suck down a couple packets and they will go away.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosstown Stew View Post
    Yeah +1 for finding a eleytrolite drink that doesn't contain simple sugars. Localized cramps are usually musclar difficiency and whole body cramps is a nutrition deficiency. Learn to ride through them if you can and carry something that will knock them out for you.

I've found mustard does it for me. I carry several packets in my jersey for races and if I feel them coming on suck down a couple packets and they will go away.
    I had no idea mustard was so awesome! I just looked it up online and found this,
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Mustard, prepared, yellow

100g mustard:
    sodium 1135mg (10x what 1 serving of Gatorade has)
    calcium 58mg (Gatorade doesn't have any!)
    Potassium 138mg (3 times what Gatorade has)
    Magnesium 49mg (Gatorade doesn't have any)
    Protein 4.4g
    Omega 3 488mg
    Omega 6 455mg

Mustard is ****ing amazing! but you would need to eat a lot of 5g packets to get that kind of dosage.
    Last edited by sixteenornumber; 01-26-2013 at 05:27 PM.

~ B A D A S S ~
    I had no idea mustard was so awesome! I just looked it up online and found this,

100g mustard:
    Protein 4.4g
    Omega 3 488mg
    Omega 6 455mg

Mustard is ****ing amazing! but you would need to eat a lot of 5g packets to get that kind of dosage.
    Or, just IV it! like lance
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Or, just IV it! like lance
    I can see it now, 2013 tour winner stripped of medals, found mustard doping.

~ B A D A S S ~
    if they look hard enough they will find it.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Wow. Hope I don't sound like some kinda snake oil freak to y'all. Veg juicing & all is just what works for me, is all I was saying.

Seems I missed what upset people (and now it's gone so I guess I'll never know). But I think it was his post that motivated me to reply.

I haven't been healthy in quite a while, and mega vegs turned my life around. Feel so dadgum good these days that I bought a MTB so I can feel even better.

Bro Mountainbiker

100g mustard:
    Protein 4.4g
    Omega 3 488mg
    Omega 6 455mg

Eat it? You are supposed to rub it on topically.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pequin View Post
    Wow. Hope I don't sound like some kinda snake oil freak to y'all. Veg juicing & all is just what works for me, is all I was saying.

Seems I missed what upset people (and now it's gone so I guess I'll never know). But I think it was his post that motivated me to reply.

I haven't been healthy in quite a while, and mega vegs turned my life around. Feel so dadgum good these days that I bought a MTB so I can feel even better.
    you didn't miss much. the unfortunate thing about forums is that you can't see the emotion behind the words. It was just friendly bashing that came out sounding harsher than it was intended. juicing is great! fruit, veg even ground beef ok not really... I just got home after 3hours of mountain biking and an hour of rock climbing. it's been so hot where I live, i lost so much water during my climb! I was craving some juice but i'm all out of stuff to juice. need to go to the grocery store.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Eat it? You are supposed to rub it on topically.
    i loled

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast