mtbr member

convert 3x crank to 2x

I'm currently running my xt crank setup as a 1x9, and I would like to run a 2x setup this year. Who has done it? What brand chain rings would be a good choice? I was thinking something like a 26/36 combo, if possible. Not sure on small ring choices really, and I really dont need a 22t. I'd like to stay in the bigger ring as much as possible, but have a granny gear if need be. I think my xt crank is 64/104bcd. Thanks for any help! I posted this in drivetrain also, but, seems its slow-ish over there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Easy answer first: maybe the XT 28-40, combined with the switchable LH shift pod that has a 2x mode. What are your courses like? Any reason a 28 wouldn't be low enough (super-nasty mud bogging, for example)?

For myself, I like having a pretty good sprinting gear in case it comes down to a flat-out drag race for the line. 44 x 11 on 26-inch is satisfactory, a 40 would be lame, and a 36 would be a case of "ok, no point trying to sprint, I lost." You've seen the movies from our courses, and we do have pedalling descents out beyond 35mph too; I like to capitalize on those. Anyway, think over your high-gear needs.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I don't have any practical experience, but there are plenty of options for 26t 64bcd chain rings. If I'm not mistaken, ramps and pins are not too crucial on the inner ring, so just about any ring will work.

For the 36t I'd stick with Shimano.

I'd rather be riding
    I've been running a 40-28 with an 11-36 (26in) and I've noticed that when out trying to do a base ride or just plod along I don't have a low enough gear. However if I'm riding near race pace it's almost perfect and reminds me to keep pushing. I'm curious to see how it does my next race later this month. The course is normally 1400' per lap and about 6 miles for each lap, so granny gear sees some use.

mtbr member
    well, right now, I can make all the race courses climbs with my 32t 1x9. I wouldnt say its the most efficient thing to do, cuz I do burn some matches which i could save for later. But, its also made me much stronger. So, a 26 or 28t would be no problem for a granny gear. I may do a 48 mile mtb race this summer, so, an easier gear would be nice for that.

As far as sprinting goes, I'm not too worried about it. I'm usually top 1/3 of the field, so, no real need to sprint for 50th place overall. I like to gear for most riding conditions, so, I dont need to sprint hardly ever, and most downhills I coast down (90% of my riding is single track).

Thanks for the help so far!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I wouldnt say its the most efficient thing to do, cuz I do burn some matches which i could save for later. But, its also made me much stronger.
    There's truth to that. Most of the guys I ride with, even strong riders, bail to granny as their opening move on anything steep. They basically slow down to whatever their lowest gear is. They might surprise themselves if they'd stay in the 32 and throw a little muscle at it. In a six-hour race, I could see the need to pace oneself, but on our 1-2hr group rides, I think they gear down further than necessary.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've run various 2x combinations on Shimano XTR970 cranks for the last couple years. First, stick with Shimano rings, they just shift better and last longer than the vast majority of aftermarket rings out there.
    On my 6" travel AM/super D bike right now I'm running 38/26t. That gives me one gear for the climb and one for the downhill, I wouldn't want to use this for XC race though because it would force too many front derailleur shifts. On my 29" hardtail this year I'm running 32/22t, which works out to about the same gearing at 36/25 on a 26" wheeled bike. With the additional range of the 10 speed cassettes I should be able to race this bike 99% of the time in the 32t ring, with the 22t there if I blow up into a cramping mess. And I like the granny for leisure training rides.

mtbr member
    ok, I found a 36t shimano chainring, and its says for use with a 22t inner ring. Will going bigger be ok? Also, I found 26 and 28t inner rings, but both are 10sp. I assume a 9sp chain will still be fine with it?

mtbr member
    that 36\22 is from the slx double, it works ok with a 26 but if you're anal about front shifts get the xt 36 from the 26/36/48 touring version.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    that 36\22 is from the slx double, it works ok with a 26 but if you're anal about front shifts get the xt 36 from the 26/36/48 touring version.
    Thanks for the heads up!