mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Continental Race King and Stans, UST or Non-UST?

For racers do you think I would be fine running non UST with Stans on my race wheels that have been converted over to tubeless? Not sure if I should go non UST version or use the UST for extra protection. What are your thoughts and experience?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I've never used a UST tire.
    The Race Kings were one of the easiest tires to set up tubeless on the Sun rims I used to use.
    Aired up w/o sealant, nice sidewall.
    With Stan's rims they will be a total breeze.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Did you have the standard tire or the supersonic. Looking for the most protection out there. My races have allot of roots and rocks. Thanks

CB2
    Jam Econo
    The standard 2.2 x 29".
    I'm in New England so our trails and races are rocky and rooty too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    How do the sidewall holds up with the rocks? What tire are you using for the mud in your area?

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Not too well

I ran the standard blackwalls half of last year with Stans. I had big problems with them in rocky areas. I didn't get cuts, as much as the abrasion would wear down the sidewalls untill they started seeping and then cut. My previous teammates all had the same issues and quit using them mid season.

I think they are a great tire if you aren't in rocky areas, as the volume is amazing, they roll fast, and the grip is very good as long as it's not too loose. The blackwalls did have some mfg issues with being assymetrical. They always looked like my front wheel was tweaked. I guess the supersonics have alot better QC.

I have a couple pair of UST Race King and Mtn. Kings that I used for training tires. They held up very well. I never had an issue with them until the tread just wore out. They are a soft compound and will be ground down on pavement sections. One interesting thing, was that the UST's I had were lighter than the protection version. I bought the protections thinking they would be good for an endurance racing tire, but they were boat anchors.

I have since moved to Racing Ralphs (Protection) and am loving them. better grip...better durability.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    My main problem is my team is sponsored by Conti, so we have to run then with converted tubeless rims. Not sure to go with supersonic, standard or UST. What would your race set up be for dry and wet conditions?

Giant Anthem
    I ran the race king (supersonic version) on my dt swiss 4.2's last season. They were very easy to install with the stans tubeless kit. They worked very well for me and I was pleased with them as they have so little rolling resistance and accelerate very well. I raced with them and trained with them in wet, rocky (midwest), rooty conditions. Because I'm paranoid about getting flats I always picked extra careful lines with these tires. They are very similar to stans crows as far as how they feel and handle. The sidewalls are thin but strong. Mine wore on the sidewalls a little faster than tread but never had a problem with flats. They lasted about half a season racing and training. They work in the wet if you're careful (same as any other race tires) but do better in the dry. I now race the the kenda karma with stans kit on dts swiss rims and have to say this is my favorite set up so far since the square tread pattern works better for wet and mud. Hope this helps.
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

Giant Anthem
    I ran the race king (supersonic version) on my dt swiss 4.2's last season. They were very easy to install with the stans tubeless kit. They worked very well for me and I was pleased with them as they have so little rolling resistance and accelerate very well. I raced with them and trained with them in wet, rocky (midwest), rooty conditions. Because I'm paranoid about getting flats I always picked extra careful lines with these tires. They are very similar to stans crows as far as how they feel and handle. The sidewalls are thin but strong. Mine wore on the sidewalls a little faster than tread but never had a problem with flats. They lasted about half a season racing and training. They work in the wet if you're careful (same as any other race tires) but do better in the dry. I now race the the kenda karma with stans kit on dts swiss rims and have to say this is my favorite set up so far since the square tread pattern works better for wet and mud. Hope this helps.

The UST would be heavier; no? I'd use regular rims with the stans tubeless kit that way it's lighter and more versatile.
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

mutaullyassuredsuffering

rocks

If your rocks are relatively smooth, I think you could get away with the supersonic. If they are kinda gritty and rough, I'd pick the UST or Protection version for sure. I wouldn't get the standard blackwall at all. I think they aren't any more durable and the build quality isn't as good. I have never owned the supersonics, but Kerkove runs the supersonics in alot of the same trails I ride, and seems to be fine.

I wore out all four standard race kings within a six month period. I kept them on the race wheels, so their mileage was limited. It was always on the same type of trail with sandstone or rough granite gutting the sidewalls. They would have cords exposed and look ratty within a month. Soon after they would begin to seep. the sidewalls looked like I squirted them with a bottle. Eventually a rock would open a bigger hole and I was tubing it. For reference, I have run standard tires tubeless for over 4 years now (Schwalbe, Michelin, Maxxis, Stans, Bontrager, Geax, Specialized and others...even on my 29'er which is a harder application) and again..I flat once or twice a year on average.

I'd go with protection race kings in dry conditions, and then swap over to mountain kings for wet. Some folks have good luck with the race king traction in the wet at low pressures, but I found clearance to be a big issue as they are big tires. The 2.0's only left 1/4 inch between the legs of my SID. The mountain king 2.0's are a completely different size...way narrow in comparison.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Tough Terrain?

Comparing terrain is tough unless you actullay lived there and rode there consistently. I imagine that my rocks (basalt) are different than your rocks. My roots are pretty much negligible and the soil is damp in winter to dry in summer. So I take a big grain of salt with tire recommendations.

That being said. I'm struggling with a tire choice for the High Cascades 100. Likely to be dusty and some sharp lava rocks encountered. It is a looooonng way off but I'd like to spend some time on the tires in training and I might as well pick-up the tires I plan to use when my current tires wear out...

The Continental Race, Mountain, or Speed King are on my list!

OP: I've never run Conti so I'm looking for the same feedback as you. I agree with U2BHard about Schwalbes: they are robust and grip well (in my conditions). Why not try the DuraSkin/ProTection tires? Not too heavy but supposed to have better sidewalls. Maybe consider the SpeedKing tread pattern as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    One interesting thing, was that the UST's I had were lighter than the protection version. I bought the protections thinking they would be good for an endurance racing tire, but they were boat anchors.
    Really?!? Did the Protection hold up as well as the UST? Or did you drop 'em like a bad habit.

Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    I have since moved to Racing Ralphs (Protection) and am loving them. better grip...better durability.
    Are these the "Snakeskin" or "Double Defense" versions? I've always run the UST Schwalbes and they have been fantastic! A little heavy though, hence my interest in the protected versions...

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by promtber
    How do the sidewall holds up with the rocks? What tire are you using for the mud in your area?
    They held up well for me. I actually found the sidewalls to be quite tough. I ran them for most of the season, only swapping to Maxxis Ignitors, or Ignitor (r), Nevegal (f) for the gnarliest races.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    what size tires do youthink work best in rock and roots for racing 2.2 or 2.0 in the racing kings and mountain kings? Thanks

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by promtber
    what size tires do youthink work best in rock and roots for racing 2.2 or 2.0 in the racing kings and mountain kings? Thanks
    I'm planning on using the Race Kings 2.2 SS, F/R this year. The only time I'd ever run MKs would be on a pretty slick course.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    are you running them tubeless. How do the sidewall stand up on the protection verse the supersonic?

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Schwalbe

Quote Originally Posted by NC2WA
    Really?!? Did the Protection hold up as well as the UST? Or did you drop 'em like a bad habit.

Are these the "Snakeskin" or "Double Defense" versions? I've always run the UST Schwalbes and they have been fantastic! A little heavy though, hence my interest in the protected versions...

The protections are still sitting on the shelf. I couldn't believe it...I'll use them as training tires when my UST's wear out. They were 50g a tire heavier than the UST...maybe a wierd batch or something?

On my 26" bike, I've been running the snakeskin on the front, and then the DD on the back depending on the race or terrain. I raced them on a 125 miler, a 24 solo, and a couple XC races with no trouble. If I was only racing XC, I'd run the Snakeskin on teh back as well. I just find after a long time in the saddle I'm not as smooth with that rear wheel and hit alot of crap I'd normally miss. They still look great.

On the Niner I've been running the standard tire on the front for 8 months....it's fricken huge. Probably 1,000 mileson it now. It's been incredible.