mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Confusion about Lactic Threshold Heart Rate

I'm doing some TrainerRoad workouts. I did the 2 x 8 min Field Tests with an avg HR of 174. At the end of that workout, TR gave me an Virtual FTP # and said my LTHR should be 157 bpm.

So I jumped on the trainer this a.m. to do an Endurance/Tempo w/o called Mont Gosford and kept my FTP in the suggested range, but my HR was in the low 120's.

If I recall correctly, a "Tempo" HR for me in the past was in the upper 150's based on an identical HR avg from a Field Test a couple years ago.

So, is my LTHR actually the 174-175 bpm from my Field Tests? ... because the prescribed FTP range for this a.m.'s "Tempo" workout definitely isn't the perceived effort or HR range I recall in past Tempo workouts.

Probably could have gotten more of a training effect from shoveling snow this morning.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The issue with using estimated power is that it is estimated. The HR value falls in the range considered to be the LTHR. At a guess I would simply say that for some reason the estimated numbers are off - temperature variation, tyre/trainer interface, tyre pressure etc. Unless you're using some sort of device that actually measures power then its a wild guess, at best.

In the meantime, just use the measured HR.

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    If you don't believe the numbers, try another test? I do the 20 min test to give me my LTHR and as long as I have really pushed myself, it is general pretty accurate.