mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Compression tights for recovery

I recently picked up some 2XU compression tights with the hope of improving my recovery by wearing them after training rides. I've been squeezing myself into these things after rides, and wearing them for three or four hours. I really can't say I notice much improvement in recovery, but it's hard to say.

Seems like they would be great to wear after out-of-town races or in situations where you have to sit for a long time after riding.

Does anybody have any experience using these? Have they been effective for you? When/how long do you have to wear them to get any benefit? Do you have to wear them all night or something? Does anybody know of any legitimate studies on these things?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My experience has been pretty much the same as yours. When I was training hard at the start of the year I used to wear them while sleeping and I did notice that when I hopped on the bike to ride to work in the morning (I live at the bottom of a big hill so I am straight into hard riding) my legs felt like they were pre-warmed up compared to when I didn't wear them at night if that makes any sense.

Some of my mates swear by them for recovery which is why I got some to try out. No idea if it really helps but I guess it can't be bad for me (apart from my lighter wallet).

I have BSC compression pants btw.

mtbr member
    I've read an article (sorry, don't remember where) that discussed that while the compression garments do what they claim they do, they don't actually help performance. No difference.

They're helpful to prevent deep vein thrombosis if you're flying or driving long distances, won't help you race (or ride) better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You bought them. If they make you feel better keep wearing them! I have 2 sets of tights and a few different socks and I wear them occasionally throughout the year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Been using the skins recovery tights for a while. Seems like they help reduce soreness after running especially, not so much biking though. They really help reduce swelling on long car rides and plane trips though.

mtbr member
    I never bought into the recover tights until I bought some Zoot ones. There were 50% for one day at PBK. Figured why not.

I will say that I feel much more refreshed after wearing them. Not sure if that adds to performance or not, but it has definitely helped with recovery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    When/how long to you wear them? Over night, or just for a few hours after a ride?

mtbr member
    I won some of Smartwools compression socks at a local race and they make my feet and calves feel better after a long day on my feet.

mtbr member
    usually just on the drive home, made an hour or so.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzky
    When/how long to you wear them? Over night, or just for a few hours after a ride?