mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Compex EMS Muscle Stimulator

It seems like there is a thread about Compex about every three years. i would like hear some fresh opinions about people experiences with the Compex units.

A little about my situation. i am 31 and recently suffered server achilles injury. recovery has been very tough. mainly because it is extremely hard to do pretty much anything. I cant really lift weights because ankles are really like outriggers. they stabilize body movement and keep balance. so i have been staying away from that.

i saw the Compex units a few years back and thought they were a great idea and passed them off to memories past. now i have revived my memory about it being a great idea and maybe a even better recovery tool.

has anyone used these for recovery?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hi there, I have been using EMS for the last year and a half, I use the GLOBUS products and I have been racing for the last 7 years in fact Last year I took 3rd place at he New York state MTB championships, I have had a lot of great results with the active recovery programs for post ride/race muscle soreness as well as general muscular aches and pains and it certainly helps speed up your recovery time, I ave also been using the strength training programs for my winter strength training regiment since I have limited access to weights and or a gym I find EMS solutions to be very cost effective and if you stick with it you can see some real results, I would recommend trying to see if there is someone in your area that can give you a demo so you can try it out for yourself. I hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Iíve often wondered about this technology. It seems like you could adapt something like this to spinscan software to maximize pedaling efficiency vis a vie electro-stimulation feedback. Possible?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I suppose that is possible, in my case I have mostly used it for off season Strength training, pre-event massage and post ride/race recovery. however it can also be used to correct muscular imbalances so I would assume that if you can identify the problem with Spinscan you can target the areas you need to strengthen with EMS and you can get very specific with your electrode placements so you can target exactly where you need to. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jselwitz
    Hi there, I have been using EMS for the last year and a half, I use the GLOBUS products and I have been racing for the last 7 years in fact Last year I took 3rd place at he New York state MTB championships, I have had a lot of great results with the active recovery programs for post ride/race muscle soreness as well as general muscular aches and pains and it certainly helps speed up your recovery time, I ave also been using the strength training programs for my winter strength training regiment since I have limited access to weights and or a gym I find EMS solutions to be very cost effective and if you stick with it you can see some real results, I would recommend trying to see if there is someone in your area that can give you a demo so you can try it out for yourself. I hope that helps.
    i purchased a Compex Elite about a week ago. i should have it tomorrow. but i also just had corrective surgery last night. so i wont be using on my legs for awhiles! Thanks for all your input. i did do a good amount of research on EMS and am pretty excited to give it a go.

On a side note. i find it very interesting that there are only a few companies that make sports versions of these. most companies rebrand for the USA. it is also a little frustrating to see that the FDA is very restrictive on some features on these units. while across the pond you have richer feature sets available.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by jselwitz
    New account. 2 posts. Do you work for GLOBUS? Congrats on the race results btw.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by myke2241 View Post
    i purchased a Compex Elite about a week ago. i should have it tomorrow. but i also just had corrective surgery last night. so i wont be using on my legs for awhiles! Thanks for all your input. i did do a good amount of research on EMS and am pretty excited to give it a go.

On a side note. i find it very interesting that there are only a few companies that make sports versions of these. most companies rebrand for the USA. it is also a little frustrating to see that the FDA is very restrictive on some features on these units. while across the pond you have richer feature sets available.
    How is your compex experience? I'm thinking about getting one but I'm unsure of their effectiveness.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mjsing View Post
    How is your compex experience? I'm thinking about getting one but I'm unsure of their effectiveness.
    It has been really good actually. For me it did a very good job getting me back on the bike. I do think it can build muscle with consistent use. The most annoying thing is applying the pads and pad placement. i use the endurance mode a lot along with the recovery modes and find them effective with consistent use.

I would highly recommend. just buy a ton of pads. They dont wear out fast but it is nice to have extras. if you don't like it you could probably get back what you paid by reselling it on eBay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Can you make the pads last longer than a few dozen times or is there a definite lifetime to them? I've read testimonials for other products that you can add a little water and they can last up to a year.

The low joint impact is what's selling me. I've got bad knees and a bad back. I'm hoping that this can help strengthen them without the pain of going to the gym.

Which device are you using? I've decided that I'm going to buy one, just don't know which one to get

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mjsing View Post
    Can you make the pads last longer than a few dozen times or is there a definite lifetime to them? I've read testimonials for other products that you can add a little water and they can last up to a year.

The low joint impact is what's selling me. I've got bad knees and a bad back. I'm hoping that this can help strengthen them without the pain of going to the gym.

Which device are you using? I've decided that I'm going to buy one, just don't know which one to get
    The best way to make the pads last is the make sure the area you are applying them to is always clean. Also keep in mind while the your EMS is in use the pads will heat up. this is a a issue because as they heat up the pads are easy to move. so debris from pillows or covers can get stuck to the pad. why would that even happen??? personally i will use my laptop while the EMS is on. The pillow acts as a stabilizer so my computer doesnt bounce around like crazy. i am still using some of the same pads i had when i purchased my Compex Elite!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Using compex pads is definitely a good idea as a muscle stimulator, It works well and lasts longer if taken proper care. I have been using it.