mtbr member

Comparison of the Cannondale SAVE and Syntace P6 hyflex seat posts.

I know many readers here despise carbon, and more so designer carbon, but i thought some racer types might find this carbon seat post comparison interesting. These seat posts are supposed to take the sting out of rooty:bumpy trails ridden on a hard tail or stiff suspension by "flexing". I have been using the syntace Hyflex for about a year and changed it out for the Cannondale SAVE post a couple of days ago. There is a difference between the two and wanted to write this down while it is still obvious to me. I am 5' 8 175 and a competitive age group racer in the UP of Michigan. I would be more competitive if I could drop 15 pounds, but that is another story. I ride/race a no name carbon 29er. The bike pic and description is at post Chinese Carbon 29er. The changes relative to the picture are I now use Maxxis IKON 2.2 at ~23 psi and of course the seat post(s).

I have always thought the syntace did a good job of smoothing out shallow 'dips' and broad bumps in the trail, but did not do much for the roots and square edge rocks on my home trail. The cannondale SAVE post is a big improvement in this area, really blunting the square edges. On the hits, the softening effect of the SAVE kind of feels like the rear tire pressure is significantly lower than it actually is. The SAVE post is designed to flex backwards on hits, but I did not notice any obvious change in hip angle. I have used a thudbuster 3 inch suspension seatpost long ago and the hip angle change there was too much. Nothing like that here. However, I did notice a momentary loss in engagement at some hits signaling my hips were moving backwards, so i assume the flex must be significant. This loss of engagement does not occur with the Syntace post. While pedaling on the smooth flat or climbing trail, or on a road section at higher speed, I did not notice any loss of engagement or 'bouncing' using either SAVE or Syntace post. Others have complained about this regarding the SAVE post, so this may be a measure of my own pedaling style/bike position (or lack of power).
    My personal preference is the SAVE seat post over the syntace. The momentary loss of engagement that occasionally occurs is more than balanced by the trail smoothing effect.

Post failure is obviously something to fear. My frame is already china carbon direct, so I must like taking risks. However, Cannondale has been putting these out for about three years now without any recall. Marco was not on a SAVE post according to reports on this site.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the comparison. Rep.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    What's the warranty on the cannondale seatpost? Syntace has a 10 year warranty.

mtbr member

warranty policy for all cannondale components

Quote Originally Posted by pindowngirl25 View Post
    What's the warranty on the cannondale seatpost? Syntace has a 10 year warranty.
    cannondale frames have lifetime warranty. But I imagine the cannondale seat posts come under the same warranty as all other cannondale components according to the website.

"All other components, including HeadShok and Lefty internal parts, suspension parts, frame fixtures and finishes (paint and decals) are warranted against manufacturing defects in materials and/or workmanship for a period of one year from the date of original retail purchase. Suspension forks (other than those made by Cannondale) are not covered by this limited warranty, but are separately covered by the stated warranty of their manufacturer."

mtbr member
    Did you weigh the posts?

mtbr member
    Nice write up! Are you selling the syntace, and if so, what size is it? See you next saturday for tour da woods!

mtbr member

weights

Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Did you weigh the posts?
    i did not weigh the posts, but the info I saw on the weight weenies forum and starbike came in at

Syntace Hyflex
    34.9 mm 211 g (480 mm)
    34.9 mm 198 g (400 mm)
    31.6 mm 205 g (400 mm)
    30.9 mm 206 g (400 mm)
    27.2 mm 212 g (400 mm)

Save post 27.2--230 g (400mm)

so, not the lightest...

mtbr member

Hi Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Fakie1999 View Post
    Nice write up! Are you selling the syntace, and if so, what size is it? See you next saturday for tour da woods!
    Look forward to Le Tour. Hope it is not record heat or flooding or foggy...there is always some weather event with that race!

I'll probably keep the syntace (27.2) for my road bike.

mtbr member
    Yeah, they're both heavy. I was just curious if you had a real weight on them. Sometimes the claimed weights are off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I weighed my SAVE post (27.2 / 400mm) at 229g. It's not super light but I wouldn't call it heavy. More info / impressions in the Cannondale section if you want it...

Fontana doesn't use the SAVE posts but I think Fumic does (and maybe Gujan too).

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Not to veer off your post, but I'm thinking of one of these for my road bike. Our roads are horrifically chip sealed. I'm running a 27.2 Thomson Masterpiece setback in a 31.6 Scott CX alu frame with 28c tires at about 90psi and on a great comfy saddle with nice bibs, but whomever created our roads must've had a thing for cyclists in a past life. The weight of either post is a moot point for me on the training bike if extra miles can be put in.

mtbr member
    Nice write up!!

I rode a SAVE post for 4 months (on the Flash, which I sold recently) and noticed that it was a nice riding bike. Did not know that the post was designed for flex and comfort, I thought it was just a run of the mill seatpost.

I currently have a lot of problems with strained ligaments/tendons on the back of knees on my FS (still dialing in that bike, aaarrgh), but never had any problem whatsoever with the Flash with SAVE post. Knees, hips, back, everything was great.

It was also one of my favorite post for setup and adjustment. Loosen the one bolt and adjust as needed. It never slipped or moved while riding, unlike the POS post that came with my Superfly in 2008. I recently mounted a Thomson Elite post after breaking a POS Carbon Easton post on my FS (stripped bolt hole), and Thomson posts are still the bomb!!
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

My Syntace just came in today. It's the 30.9 x 400mm. I weighed it with the seat post clamp attached and it came in at 223 grams. Right after that i decided to cut it shorter to lose weight, plus 400mm is way to long for me. It now weighs 199 grams.