mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Clothes for Cold Weather Riding

Topic says it all. I was wondering what are those things you put on your shoes to keep your feet warm called. I would also like to know what people are using on their under body. For my legs i just use my running tights with shorts over top.

Any help would be great, Thanks

mtbr member
    They are called shoe covers. They work well. In a pinch, in the absence of shoe covers, I put my socked feet into bread bags before putting them into my shoes. No breathability, but it will keep your feet warm (and sweat soaked if it comes to that). Shoe covers tend to cut off the breathability as well, but as long as your feet are warm until you're back at home/in the vehicle afterwards then they've served their purpose.
    For the legs, I do the same as you mentioned.
    For the upper body, layers with a windbreaker on top. Body temp swings a lot between uphill effort and downhill windchill, so it nice to be able to moderate that by shedding/adding layers mid-ride.

mtbr member
    It depends on how cold. I dress differently for different temps.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by uncomplientspud
    Topic says it all. I was wondering what are those things you put on your shoes to keep your feet warm called. I would also like to know what people are using on their under body. For my legs i just use my running tights with shorts over top.

Any help would be great, Thanks
    For any great amount of riding below say -5C get some winter boots, mine are good down to -35 C for over an hour (shimanos) and breathe really well so you can ride them at say +10 C...Also great for crossing cold rivers etc.

I find better results with lycra shorts underneath running tights, I go there somewhere around -10C. shorts outside don't help with anything but headspace.

Layer Layer Layer...

To layer properly you have to buy the outer layers one size larger, or everything just gets overly tight...

mtbr member
    Toe covers are nice when it's not too cold out but when it's freezing you'll need booties that cover the whole shoe. I like my shorts against my body and my tights on top of them. I think Under Armour Coldgear longsleeve jerseys blow away anything I've tried from a cycling company. Gloves? My junk gloves I bought at Sears work better than Pearl Izumi's and other companies lobster gloves. Sugoi makes nice skull caps and balaclavas. I use them all the time.

mtbr member
    good point on the gloves. My preferred pair are some Youngstown winter work gloves from the hardware store. They were the a pricey $25 pair I believe, but still a bargain compared to bike-specific stuff.

mtbr member
    Next week: 24 Hours of Moab.

Gear for night laps (~35F):
    -PI, leg warmers
    -Long Sleeve wool jersey (or Under Armour + Jersey)
    -PI super thin wind breaker
    -Castelli wind stopper gloves
    -Castelli wind stopper booties
    -Performance skull cap under helmet

For most Zone2 winter road riding, I'll add some Performance Triflex Tights, instead of the PI leg warmers, and liner under the gloves. Also have some PI Amfib gloves, which for me, seem like too much.

Also, be careful when buying UnderArmour, it's easy to get their stuff confused. Their "Cold Gear" is what you want. Expensive but absolutely excellent. Use it for XC skiing as well.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Down to 20 F, leg warmers. Below, I have some tights with wind-proof fronts I wear over shorts.
    Above freezing I wear booties (shoe covers), below I have a pair of Lake boots. I'll wear the boots if it's real sloppy, and as warm as 35 F.
    Up top I'll wear a polypro undershirt, long sleeve jersey and a jacket. I have a Craft jacket for 32 F - 45F, and a Santini wind proof jacket for below freezing that is unbelievable. It's so light weight, yet still so warm. I've worn it below 0 F and been toasty.

mtbr member
    I have tried lots and so far nothing compares to Under Armor cold gear. I live in PA and it gets cold, not as cold as other places. I wear full Under Armor cold gear with riding shorts and a shirt with a Columbia riding jacket. Wool socks are awesome too.

mtbr member
    Under Armour is REALLY good when it's freezing out. They don't make cycling specific clothing (no back pockets on a jersey) but who cares. It works.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli
    Next week: 24 Hours of Moab.

Gear for night laps (~35F):
    -PI, leg warmers
    -Long Sleeve wool jersey (or Under Armour + Jersey)
    -PI super thin wind breaker
    -Castelli wind stopper gloves
    -Castelli wind stopper booties
    -Performance skull cap under helmet

For most Zone2 winter road riding, I'll add some Performance Triflex Tights, instead of the PI leg warmers, and liner under the gloves. Also have some PI Amfib gloves, which for me, seem like too much.

Also, be careful when buying UnderArmour, it's easy to get their stuff confused. Their "Cold Gear" is what you want. Expensive but absolutely excellent. Use it for XC skiing as well.
    Last year was super cold night )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robicycle
    Last year was super cold night )
    35F in the dark is different from 35F in the sun.

Last year I went with no shoe covers or riding pants (leg warmers instead) at 3AM, thinking I would warm up on the hills. Big mistake. My feet went numb for the whole lap and knees were frozen most times.

It's weird because most other people are hardly wearing anything at the lap tent.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    synthetic (poly) glove liners. Pick some up for 5$, good investment!

I've got some windstopper bike gloves and then some windproof gloves, with the glove liners you can deal with surprisingly low temps, especially when you're active.

I have some of those pearl izumi lobsters but I don't think I can really recommend them for intense cold, probably a ski glove is better. Hard to get used to 2 finger braking again with those, and my hands got cold in them last winter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli
    It's weird because most other people are hardly wearing anything at the lap tent.
    and one of them was me I did 3 laps at night (duo team) and because I did not know how damn cold will be when I left my home , I did not pack enough clothes so every end of my lap I was so frozen that I could not talk - next time I will bring everything a have I think I saw some snowflakes that night. anyway....... great times!!!