mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Which class to start in?

Going to compete in my first XC race tomorrow. I train on the bike or off the bike daily riding 50-70 miles a week on my mtb. Just curious if I should start in citizen or sport group? Ill racing the WORS series. Thanks for your help

mtbr member
    Citizen, you can always move up next race, but it is frowned upon to ever move down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    Citizen, you can always move up next race, but it is frowned upon to ever move down.
    Really? I can't see how anyone would care as long as they're not sandbagging.

Depending on the course and length of the races I'd consider racing sport if it were me because sometimes the beginner races are really short. OP seems to have a pretty decent base going.

Either way have fun!
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Really? I can't see how anyone would care as long as they're not sandbagging.

Depending on the course and length of the races I'd consider racing sport if it were me because sometimes the beginner races are really short. OP seems to have a pretty decent base going.

Either way have fun!
    You would think, but people suck, trust me.

mtbr member
    If you are training, then Sport would be recommended. Beginners by and large are not involved in any training protocol.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Sport. If you get last place and move back to beginner and people complain... F-em....

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It really depends where you are racing, in my hometown the usual races are marathons, but we have a state xc race series where we have categories.

Beginners 1-2 laps
    Intermediate 2 laps
    Advanced 1 3 laps
    Advanced 2 4 laps
    Elite 5 laps

Usually people have a lot of fear for these kind of races as they are more technical and harder than marathons, thus not many people race them. Occasionally some people decide to try them and they usually start as beginners or intermediate.

Sadly, they are usually wrecked in race, because the competition is fierce. Beginners would usually be young kids that train around 6-8 hours per week. Last month a friend of mine decided to try xc races, he has been training for around 2 years and I was trying to convince him to race intermediate, but he stuck to beginner, to his surprise he could only achieve a 5th.

Advanced 1 & 2 riders seem to train around 12-18 hours per week around here. Winners usually have a >5.0w/kg FTP.

Elite 20 hours per week.

I would test waters in beginner and if its too easy move up next race.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    So many factors...

Sometimes the beginner race is just too short, pick the length of race that you want to do.

The competition is very different depending on what part of the country you are in.

Here in SoCal, beginners can be pretty competitive.

I race Sport and was beaten earlier this year by the current CX National Champ in my age-group! Sandbaggers are everywhere... it's an honor system... don't sweat it, ride your own race and have fun.

For the most part, racers understand that when someone races for the first time they don't really know where they stand... if you choose to race beginner and kill everyone, that's OK. Just move up appropriately next time.
    TTUB - Ventura County California

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I was going to say sport, but I've changed my mind to 'citizen'.
    Around here, we have Beginner (cat3), sport (cat2) and Expert (cat1). They try to make it very clear that Beginner is for 'beginner racers', not beginner riders.

Go ahead and race in the lower cat and if you do well the confidence boost will help you if you move up (if you smoke everyone), but even if you are at the front you will probably have some competition, - there's always a couple of fast guys in beginner.
    carry clippers! cut something off the trail every time you ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks guys, I think I'm going to wait and see what the distances are between the two classes when I get there. It says the Citizen (CAT3) race time is 60 mins and sport (CAT2) is 85mins so I'll just wait and see how I'm feeling I guess

Dances with horses
    Quote Originally Posted by hitchcock117 View Post
    Thanks guys, I think I'm going to wait and see what the distances are between the two classes when I get there. It says the Citizen (CAT3) race time is 60 mins and sport (CAT2) is 85mins so I'll just wait and see how I'm feeling I guess
    That would be my advice. If you podium your first race, then move up.

mtbr member
    Here our race season just wrapped up.

There are 4 groups.

Beginner (Cat 3)
    Intermediate (Cat 2)
    Expert (Cat 1)
    Elite (Pro)

Beginner races tend to run about 45-60 minutes for the top guys.
    Intermediate tend to run about 90 min to 2 hrs
    Expert are 2hrs to 2.5hrs
    Elite is same distances as expert, just faster.
    Marathon is 3hr to 4.5hrs

If you are a rider, but have never raced beginner is where I would start out. Even beginner's can be fast. If it is too easy you can always cat up. As for the distance. Yeah it is short, but that does not mean easy. I did short track race this year at it was done in 25 minutes. Many that was a hard 25 minutes. Flat out sprint and by the end every one was pegged. I was not tired so much as pegged max heart rate for 25 minutes. This was part of 3 event series so next day was a 40 miler that took a few hours.

Anyway try the lowest class and see how it goes. Moving up is easy, but if you move down and get on the podium people will talk about sandbagging. If you move down and are still a back marker nobody will care.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    If you are training, then Sport would be recommended. Beginners by and large are not involved in any training protocol.
    One man's training is another's just riding around.

I don't "train", but I do ride 50-100 miles a week. I just won my class in intermediate this season. So I am going to expert for 2019. I still won't "train", but I will ride. That said there are guys who ride 50-60 miles a week that will never be able to get on the podium in beginner. They are just not that fast. So tough to generalize really. Best to show up and see how you do and adjust from there. My first race in my class was last year. In that race I came in 4th or 5th in an 11 rider field. Good enough to push the leaders for a bit, but not enough to really challenge. I did 2 more races that season as high as 3rd. For 2018 I put some mental focus on doing the entire season with hope of being able to get on the podium. Worked well as got 3 1st, 2 2nd and 1 4th. Series was best 5 of 6. Got the series win. So off to expert for 2019. Where I will probably get creamed, but that is ok.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Dances with horses
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Expert are 2hrs to 2.5hrs
    Elite is same distances as expert, just faster.
    I wish! Our local C1/Elite races are about 1:10-1:15

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Pardon my ignorance, and a slight hijack of the OPs thread, but does each category also have age groups? How high do they go? (I hate having to ask that, but I'm about to turn 60.)

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    2017 Yeti SB4.5c, stock, except for a Wolf 28T oval chainring

Dances with horses
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaldedDogCO View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, and a slight hijack of the OPs thread, but does each category also have age groups? How high do they go? (I hate having to ask that, but I'm about to turn 60.)

Mark

Everywhere I have been so far does some sort of age group for everyone except Elite/Pro. Although, I do know of one place that does a "Vet Pro", which is weird to me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    They usually do have age groups, very few do not. It depends on what the promoter decides, and they change the age groups as they feel appropriate. Here in the mtb series I do it's 35-49, then 50+ for cat1, but there's more riders in cat2/sport so they have more age groups, a 60+ cat2, plus cat2 'open' for those not quite ready to move up to 1 but kind of too quick for their age groups. There's one guy in my group (50+ cat1) who is 64, and very fast, he's often top3, I hope there will be a 60+ cat1 when I get there.
    carry clippers! cut something off the trail every time you ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thanks guys!

Mark

2017 Yeti SB4.5c, stock, except for a Wolf 28T oval chainring