mtbr member

Hope Clarification on ' F1 ' workout/by J. Friel

Looking for some help understanding how to perform this sort of workout.

I'm working with J. Friel excellent 'The Mountain Biker's Training Bible' and this is the relevant information:
    Currently I'm in my Base 2 period, my weekly riding hours are 7.5-8 hrs in this period (considering that I'm planning 300-350 annual hours).
    Since F1 has the longest duration in Friel book I figured 2.5 hrs are needed.

Now, I understand the general desired heart rate zones (4, 5) but for how long should I stay in those zones ? during the hills only, for how long ? and when I'm done and back to flat surface at what zone should I stay ?

Been working with this book for the past 3 months and so far I'm very impressed with the in depth explanations and how Joe describes the needed workout, but for some reason I fail to understand this one.

Would love any suggestion on how should F1 workout look like in parameters of heart rate zones and how long should i stay in each one, how many hills, whats the desired altitude etc etc.

Thanks a lot
    Specialized - SJ Marathon 29" (2010) ||| KHS - Solo One 29" (2007) ||| KHS - Alite 3000 (2000) ||| Kona Kula Supreme (2008)

mtbr member
    Well if anyone else wondered about that topic and not just me, here's Joe's answer (he agreed of course to share it with you on this forum):

"It was intentionally left open ended so that you could decide how much higher intensity is appropriate given your fitness level and level of fatigue. Sometimes when you do this ride you will be at a high level of fitness and well rested. Other times that won’t be the case. You decide each time. Of course, the higher intensity is on the climbs only. On downhills and flats you would be recovering. Good luck!"

Best,
    Joe

Joe Friel, MSc
    Head Coach
    TrainingBible Coaching
    Specialized - SJ Marathon 29" (2010) ||| KHS - Solo One 29" (2007) ||| KHS - Alite 3000 (2000) ||| Kona Kula Supreme (2008)

Hardtail Freak
    Shouldn't you be looking at your RPE? Friel gave us a table from 1-20 on RPE.