Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Changing rotation of rear tire for mud race?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Sheepo5669 
#1 ·
I am running Bontrager 29-1. If you look close, you can see difference on knobs - tire does not state direction.
Bontrager: XR1 Team Issue (Model #11869)

One side of knobs are @ 90 degrees, opposite 45 degrees (I imagine for, less rolling resistance).

Does anyone reverse direction on rear? Or depending on conditions? Does anyone ever notice a difference?

Pretty wet in midwest, and thinking of reversing rear for a little more traction on climbs

#2 ·
I'd think that the wide open spaces between the knobs and low knob profile (especially off centre) would work against those being a good mud tire, regardless of the direction of tire rotation.

If you compare that to the XR mud tire, there's just not much to provide bite on the XR-1. Even the XR-3 has a closer knob spacing and a higher knob profile to provide more edge in the mud for better traction.

#3 ·
Low tread tyres like the Bontrager XR-1 aren't really suited to mud. They can be useful if there are occasional muddy sections (because the shallow tread will clear quickly as soon as you're back on harder terrain again) but for sustained mud you need a tyre that has more bite, something with taller tread blocks that can dig in and give traction, along with side blocks that will still grip whilst cornering.

http://bikemagic.com/gear/10-of-the-best-mud-tyres-mountain-biking.html

A tyre that works quite well in Cotswold mud is the Specialized Ground Control. It's more of an all round tyre than a dedicated mud tyre, which often comes in handy. Mud tyres with tall tread blocks (eg: the old Panaracer spike tyres) can sometimes be a bit squirrelly on hardpack and rocks and often don't roll well either. Unless it's constant mud they can be overkill for many situations.:)

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/mtb-tires/xc-trail-tires/ground-control

#4 ·
I realize they are not mud tires. Last year I was in a mud race (at same location as this 'Sunday). It seemed like no matter what tire riders used - they packed up solid. I run 'skinny & light' 2.00's so at least my tires did not pack up mud against frame and fork

Odds are it will not rain day of race - Trails will be muddy though, I am sure

Last year it rained 'perfectly' at start of cat 3 race. I raced cat 2, 1.5 hours later

GoPro from last years race - I am not the author of video
Matthiessen Mountain Madness 2012 - YouTube

#6 ·
I bought a set of Maxxis Beaver 2.0s before this season on a whim.
I regretted it the first race as they were sitting unopened in my shop. Then we had 4 mud races in a row. They were 100% worth the money. Killer mud grip and zero slip when on the pedals. Only issue I see is delicate sidewalls. I was extremely nervous racing in the mud at Tanasi, TN. Especially when descending the Thunder Rock Express.

Point being, just pony up for a proper mud tire for the rear. Itll be worth the money guaranteed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.