mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ceramic Bearing = ~4% more efficient

"For the last few years, Full Speed Ahead has been working with their extensive array of sponsored teams to test, improve, and refine an often neglected product that can provide significant performance advantages. FSA's Claudio Marra explained to Cyclingnews that "our testing shows that ceramic ball bearings are 20% more rigid, 10X rounder and 60% lighter than standard steel ball bearings, which reduces friction. We have found that using ceramic ball bearings can provide speed increases of up to 4%, or a forty meters distance gained over every kilometer.""

That's about 3.5 minutes time gained in a 1.5 hour race. Certainly wouldn't hurt ones times.

Anyone switch to ceramics on all rotating parts? Wonder if the pro's are on 100% ceramics? Also wonder if any pedal manufactures offer ceramic bearinged parts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Destroy
    "For the last few years, Full Speed Ahead has been working with their extensive array of sponsored teams to test, improve, and refine an often neglected product that can provide significant performance advantages. FSA's Claudio Marra explained to Cyclingnews that "our testing shows that ceramic ball bearings are 20% more rigid, 10X rounder and 60% lighter than standard steel ball bearings, which reduces friction. We have found that using ceramic ball bearings can provide speed increases of up to 4%, or a forty meters distance gained over every kilometer.""

That's about 3.5 minutes time gained in a 1.5 hour race. Certainly wouldn't hurt ones times.

Anyone switch to ceramics on all rotating parts? Wonder if the pro's are on 100% ceramics? Also wonder if any pedal manufactures offer ceramic bearinged parts?
    Let me know when they conquer gravity.

mtbr member
    Despite pacman's skepticism, ceramics are for real. Unfortunately they're expensive too. The pros at the Tour use ceramics and ceramic kits for existing parts, I would assume they do on the World Cup too. Give it a little time and the prices will go down, as there are cheaper ways to gain ~3 minutes.

MTB fanatic
    Jul 2005
    There's an article in BIKE mag that basically states the same thing. Universal cycles sells ceramic replacement bearings for hubs and BB's. I'd like to give ceramic bearings a shot, but I'll have to do some more research before laying out the cash to switch over.

Rob
    "Speed kills...oh well, we've all gotta go some time!"

mtbr member

boca bearings has

Quote Originally Posted by Destroy
    Also wonder if any pedal manufactures offer ceramic bearinged parts?
    ceramic bearing kits for some time pedals. They also have kits for many hubs, bottom brackets and pivots.

This ceramic bearing thing appears to be another way to spend money on your bike , so I'll probably be looking into this winter

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbiker3111
    Despite pacman's skepticism, ceramics are for real. Unfortunately they're expensive too. The pros at the Tour use ceramics and ceramic kits for existing parts, I would assume they do on the World Cup too. Give it a little time and the prices will go down, as there are cheaper ways to gain ~3 minutes.
    Looking it up - FSA was referring to (road) rolling resistance, a great concern to time trialists on flat courses with 120psi tires. For fat tires climbing on dirt infinitesimal but if they can produce a ceramic chain I'm in!

jms
    mtbr member

Read more closely

Actually, the Cyclingnews article stated that the outboard bearing BB designs have 4% more drag than square taper BB's and that FSA's ceramic BB recaptures about 3.5%. Let's hear it for "obsolete" parts.

Whatever

They should have more effect on a MTB

With road riding, the most significant drag element is wind. So ceramics are able to make you 4% faster given all the other drag.

On a MTB you don't have the wind drag, so maybe ceramics will make even more of a difference. That said, you do have more rolling resistance drag from the tires, of course depending on surface.

CURB HUCK!!!!!!
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    Actually, the Cyclingnews article stated that the outboard bearing BB designs have 4% more drag than square taper BB's and that FSA's ceramic BB recaptures about 3.5%. Let's hear it for "obsolete" parts.
    that doesn't make sence, kinda funny really
    but if these bearings are slightly more efficient, multiply that buy the many bearings found in front hub + rear hub + the cranks, and that has to equal something
    Kona Coiler

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umbertom
    that doesn't make sence, kinda funny really
    but does it make sense?

CURB HUCK!!!!!!
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by splangy
    but does it make sense?
    no, I already said it doesn't make "sence"
    my apologies

why would racers uses ceramic bearings if they weren't more efficient?
    Kona Coiler

mtbr member

I am using

I have the FSA hybrids in my xtr bottom bracket and my I9s have all ceramic bearing but one on rear free hub (KUDOOS to Jeff at I9 for finding the bearings for my wheel set). The rear wheel hasnt been broken in so I am have not felt any real difference from my ISO CK/Sapim CP xray/819's. The front wheel, it was so obivious in spinning by hand. Have never felt (or should I say have yet to feel) any drag what so ever. As far as the BB, it feels and seems to feel smoother, but it could be me. Just to note, I also am using Stan's crows and dt 4.1 rims on wheelset which is lighter than my other wheels, so its not like the ceramics are fully responsible for the improved feel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (134.3 KB, 255 views)

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    To all:

It's amazing how much drag there is with sealed bearings. Not because of the bearing so much, but rather the seals! Guys who do major road touring will us loose ball hubs and bottom bracket. Totally adjustable and easily rebuildable on the road! Remember your BMX bike you never did any mantaince on. The wheels would spin forever when you turned your bike upside down to be cool, and the fat kid who had no bike would stand there and spin the wheel just to see how long it would go for!

Guess what He's still fat!

I saw him yesterday!

He has a Vette now!
    Proformance Cycle
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    We used to pop off the seals on our skateboard wheels. Then clean out all the grease.
    Use a dry lube. So much faster.
    I guess it would be the same for bike wheels. Just have to clean them every so often.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _hamilton
    We used to pop off the seals on our skateboard wheels. Then clean out all the grease.
    Use a dry lube. So much faster.
    I guess it would be the same for bike wheels. Just have to clean them every so often.
    Recument racers will clean their bearings and lube them with machine oil when they're making high speed attempts. I can't imagine this creates any durability though.

Members who have read this thread: 0