Intermediate wannabe

Carmichael's Time Crunched Cyclist

I was wondering if anyone out there is adapting this book/method for mtb training, and if so, how are you approaching this? With the varying terrain we mtbers ride its hard for me to imagine sticking to the parameters of those TCC workouts. I am contemplating doing the actual workouts on my roadbike on more predictable terrain.

Also, with winter approaching and my deep loathing of the trainer, I was wondering if anyone is using any of the newer high quality stationary bikes or spin bikes for training with Carmichael's TCC book.
    "You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding." ~KRob

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I used the book's experienced racer training regimen in preparation for Chequamegon and Iceman and improved my best times in both races by four minutes and eight minutes, respectively. I did the majority of the workouts on the trainer and road bike, as the intervals are specific as far as being able to sustain specific threshold efforts.

The thing to keep in mind is that this program really is for people with very little time to train (6-8 hours per week) who are trying to put forth their best race efforts within about a four-to-six week window; it's basically a four day per week ball-busting interval schedule that will give you the anaerobic capacity to be able to race competitively. For anyone involved in a racing series or who wants to go longer than three hours, it's not the ticket, as you won't have the top end for longer distances and your finely honed fitness will fade roughly 3-4 weeks after peaking. Still, it's an excellent resource, comprehensive in its sceintific explanations and, in my opinion, successful in its purpose. If you're as time "crunched" as I am and want to target a specific time of year to rip it up, it may be the perfect plan.