mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Carbon Hard Tail or Kona Hei Hei Supreme for racing?

I currently use a Carbon Lapierre ProRace 500 Hardtail for racing. I've upgraded wheels, cranks etc so it's pretty light and rides very well. However I do find it quite harsh and a bit unforgiving on technical courses which are typical where I race.
    I've recently been offered an immaculate 08 Kona Hei Hei Supreme frame (used 3-4 times) at a reasonable price. I'm very tempted to buy it and transfer all the parts from my Lapierre onto it and use it as my race bike. Obviously it will be a little bit heavier but I would be hoping that it will easier to ride particularly on technical tracks.
    Age old question I know but what do people think?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was kind of in the same position last year. I actually asked my shop to order me the Hei Hei Supreme, but we missed the order deadline for pro-deal, so I ended up building up myself a carbon hardtail.

In retrospect, I think the Hei Hei Supreme's travel is short by today's XC standards. From everything I have read it is a good, fast bike that can be built very light (there is one on the Weight Weenies forum that is well under 20lbs....I think it is owned by Cheers! - you can probably search for it), and it rides well. I just wonder if Kona should be updating it. It seems like to buy it now would be like buying an obsolete design. You are adding the weight of a full susp without getting as much travel as other companies are offering.

If the deal is amazing though, then that may be the clincher. The courses you race and how badly you think the full susp will help (or make your back stop hurting!) will decide if you can hold out for a different bike or not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The deal is very good but a new Giant Anthem X0 frame is not that much more expensive ..... hmmm!
    Many thanks for the reply!