mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Carbon frame bikes for racing

Guys,
    Totally new to XC racing, but thinking of buying this machine due to a very nice price (1600): Optimum III

My main concern is that as much as I love the idea of the carbon mtb HT, I'm thinking you may not race as fast over the technical stuff due to fear of falling and cracking the frame. Also replacing any of the components on the Optimum 3 would be savage. Hence maybe better sticking to a light (& cheaper) alloy, such as http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=57165.

Any thoughts?

g3h6o3
    As it's been said over and over, it's not the material that matters, it's the construction quality.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    As it's been said over and over, it's not the material that matters, it's the construction quality.
    Okay, thanks, so what's the construction quality like of that Vitus I poseted. How much abuse will it likely be able to take before cracking/breaking the frame?

mtbr member
    I doubt anybody could actually tell you how much abuse any certain frame could take before failing. I can tell you that Giant offers a lifetime warranty on their XTC carbon, so I guess that gives an indication of how strong they think it is. How does the warranty from Vitus compare?

Buying a new bike will rarely make you faster. You need to train more and at a greater intensity if you want to improve.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    A properly made Carbon frame is the most durable frame out there. I don't know anything about the bike you want to buy but the material it self is sound.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

ups and downs
    Or to look at it another way... any impact big enough to break a carbon frame will also leave an aluminium frame severely compromised and in need of replacement.

Most manufacturers have had issues with carbon frames on their learning curves to optimizing light vs. strong, but that's what warranties are for. Most of the same manufacturers had issues building light aluminium frames too. Most manufacturers are getting their carbon frames from the same few factories in Asia and they've had lots of experience now in avoiding design or material problems.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Carbon. Totally normal. Most common material for ht race bikes these days...