mtbr member

Carbon 29er FS under $2500??

Is there a decent one out there at that price range?

Looking at buying one to race with next year.

If not I will likely buy an Aluminum or Ti 29er FS by the time I go Cat2 next year (mid season). Id like to go Carbon though....

Online purchase is fine...
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

Drop in?... Anyone?
    Ebay... if you're patient, I would think you could find a 2011 Epic Carbon Comp... then reward yourself with a new wheelset when you upgrade.

mtbr member
    Why so stuck on carbon?

At that price range, you will get a much better FS bike with aluminum IMO.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mnoutain bkie rdier
    That's easy. You can get just about any carbon 29er fs on the market for that price.

Just don't expect to get any parts with it

Go on over to the chinese carbon 29er thread and read up. Who knows?? You could go fairly cheap on parts and end up with a sub $2500 fs carbon (non-labeled) bike..

I'd rather be riding
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1 View Post
    Why so stuck on carbon?

At that price range, you will get a much better FS bike with aluminum IMO.
    Yeah I've gotta agree here.

mtbr member
    What about this bike?

GT Force Carbon Expert All Mountain Full Suspension Reviews

I realize its an AM bike, but it should be fine for racing XC. What do you think? It seems to have all high end components.

Otherwise I agree with the Alum or Ti frame idea i guess. Id prefer to keep the bike weight under 29# though as im already a heavy rider.
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    What about this bike?

GT Force Carbon Expert All Mountain Full Suspension Reviews

I realize its an AM bike, but it should be fine for racing XC. What do you think? It seems to have all high end components.

Otherwise I agree with the Alum or Ti frame idea i guess. Id prefer to keep the bike weight under 29# though as im already a heavy rider.
    What kind of trails are you racing on? I doubt an all mountain longer travel frame would fair well on most XC race courses.

Again, why do you feel the need for a carbon frame?? In your price range I think you would be much better suited by many of the aluminum frames out there.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1 View Post
    What kind of trails are you racing on? I doubt an all mountain longer travel frame would fair well on most XC race courses.

Again, why do you feel the need for a carbon frame?? In your price range I think you would be much better suited by many of the aluminum frames out there.
    Guess thats my newbness coming through. I didnt realize AM bikes were actually longer in frame. I know the travel is longer but I believe that is adjustable, and any tires not made for XC could be replaced.

I ride pretty twisty single track with lots of roots, rocks, sand, black dirt, switchbacks etc.

I was just thinking carbon because of the weight issue. I have a FS and if I was to upgrade to another FS id want a 29er. I have a 26. I understand from what ive read that 29er and FS are heavier than say a HT 26" or a HT 26" FS. As im already a heavy rider and I want to move up to compete in Cat2 I figured the lighter the bike the better and Carbon would be the only way to get a FS 29er under 30#.

I like this bike but not sure about the weight:
    SRAM XO, 3x10 Speed 29er Full Suspension Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2011 Motobecane Fantom 29er | Shimano DynaSys full suspension mountain bikes | Save up to 60% off list prices on new bicycles

Big Boy
    i dont know of any carbon fs 29er that retails for 2500. there are a number of alloy models around that price. salsa spearfish is prolly the lowest pricepoint. you also have a jet 9 at 2800, scott spark at 2600, santa cruz tallboy at 2300, cannondale scalpel at 2550, giant anthem at 2400, trek superfly 100, at 2350, and then there are the classifieds where you might pick up more of a "niche" market bike at your pricepoint. So, there are a few to look at. My vote goes for the scott, nice spec, and i would like the remote dual lockout option. plus i am a fanboi!!
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Ok im thinking spend my money on better components and not worry about the Carbon footprint.

Maybe a few years down the road ...

I'd rather be riding
    IIRC the wieght difference between an AL Superfly 100 and a Carbon one is a little over a pound. If your a big guy you'll feel that one pound much less than somebody who is 120lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I race a 11 Epic comp aluminum 29er...I have had carbon before and i don't miss it at all. The only upgrade i made was a better wheel set and set it up tubeless so my pressure is lower...(stans crest, dt swiss hubs)..