mtbr member

Can't breath right after 2 weeks off....whats up?

So I stopped training for 2 weeks due to time restraints, and a slight bit of laziness....its been a long season. I had been riding about 200-250 miles per week before that, and was in great shape, averaging 20mph riding my mtb on the road with 'cross tires and taking 1st or 2nd place in every cat 2 race I entered all season (thats about 18 races).

So I got back on the bike about a week ago, and I can't seem to catch my breath...my chest feels tight. My legs still feel great, like they just wanna go all out, but every time I try my inability to breath puts an end to it after maybe 5 minutes.

I am currently only able to hold about 16mph down the road, any higher and my breathing just can't keep up. So what's up? I felt WAY better than this breathing wise after taking almost a whole winter off......
    Check out this organization that I ride with:
    www.r2rministry.org

http://www.facebook.com/destindanserphotography

Back of the pack doping.
    I've read in the mountain bikers training bible that the more fit you are, the more of a hit you take when you stop training, and lose up to 15-20% of your aerobic ability within 3 weeks of inactivity.

It'll come back after a few rides. I can get the real numbers for you later.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

Feral Roadie
    Allergies? It kinda sounds like a brush with exercise induced asthma I had two years ago. Are you making wheezing like noises at all when breathing hard?

I would see a doctor and have it checked out.

_ Booker C. Bense

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbense
    Allergies? It kinda sounds like a brush with exercise induced asthma I had two years ago. Are you making wheezing like noises at all when breathing hard?

I would see a doctor and have it checked out.

_ Booker C. Bense

No, I'm not really wheezing, but I had asthma when I was a kid and this does feel fairly similar to it. I can breath just fine normally. When I try to breath deeply (even at resting HR, lounging around my house) it just feels like my lungs are smaller, by maybe 20% or so...I have

I should mention that for the last 6 weeks I've been watching what I eat trying to drop some weight (wanna go from 185 to 170ish). So I've been trying to burn more calories than I eat. I realize this leads to decreased performance on the bike, but I only have 1 race left this year so I wasn't all too concerned with that. It didn't seem to affect my riding abilities at all after 4 weeks of training and dieting simultaneously. But could this have something to do with it? I wouldn't think it could affect my breathing, but I'm no expert either....
    www.r2rministry.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Based on your training load, the two weeks off were probably good for you. It takes a while to get back up to form after a couple weeks of Rn'R, but stick with your pre-rest schedule and when you come back to form, you'll come back stronger than you were before.

Then keep the base miles up in the off season and when yo come back next year, think abt cat'ing up.

mtbr member
    Oh, I plan on stepping up to cat 1 next year for sure...as long as I'm still racing seriously that is. Might be giving it up to take photos at the races instead as I run a photography business on the side and was just offered a chance to take and sell photos at a bunch of races next year. We'll see how much I need the extra cash when next year rolls around I guess.... I'll prolly end up only racing 5-7 races instead of 20-25 like I normally do. Not sure if I'll feel like training so hard for only a few races.....
    www.r2rministry.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    18 races and 1st or 2nd every time? It is well past time to move up. Around these parts we call that sand bagging

mtbr member
    Haha well maybe. But there are only ~5 kids in my age group. The expert class is doing 15 miles 10 minutes faster than I can do 10 miles. Not really sure I can keep up with that......
    www.r2rministry.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Destin
    I should mention that for the last 6 weeks I've been watching what I eat trying to drop some weight (wanna go from 185 to 170ish). So I've been trying to burn more calories than I eat. I realize this leads to decreased performance on the bike, but I only have 1 race left this year so I wasn't all too concerned with that. It didn't seem to affect my riding abilities at all after 4 weeks of training and dieting simultaneously. But could this have something to do with it? I wouldn't think it could affect my breathing, but I'm no expert either....
    This doesn't make any sense at all your metabolism should be screaming. If youíre training and racing that much you should have a hard time keeping weight on. Dieting that hard during the season prolly isn't the best of ideas. For one your glycogen levels could be depleted which would certainly have an impact on aerobic performance. Iím sucking down 4000-5000 a day during the summer I donít ride near as much you and I lost 5lbs this summer without really wanting to. Something here doesnít make sense.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Sounds like a drop in your aerobic fitness. Happens to me all the time when I get lazy. Feel like you have plenty of stregnth to ride, but tough time recovering.

Focus on aero specific workouts for a week or so and I think you will see your level of fitness come back pretty quickly.

breathing helium
    I suggest you ease back into it. Give yourself a little slack and make sure to have a transition week or two to bridge back into form.

I think if you give yourself a week to gradually build intensity to the pre-break level, you will feel things come around. Likely, you will be even stronger than before due to the 2 week rest/recovery period.

I have noticed this restricted breathing issue before, but only during early morning rides in cold/dry weather. I also recently took a full 2-week break off the bike and any type of training. I felt like total shite when I returned to riding again. It took me a couple of weeks to get back into the routine. My body responded accordingly.

If things continue to feel "off", get checked out by a dr. We all know our own bodies better than anyone else, so take everything that anyone esle says with a grain of salt (myself included). I had shingles once and mistakenly thought I was just being a wuss. I ended up off the bike for over a month because of reading my body's cues all wrong.