Cannondale Snob

Cannondale choice: '07 Caffeine F1 or '06 Scalpel 1000

I can get either bike for ~$2,000. Right now I ride mostly AM but would like to get into XC for more exercise. I'm concered with bike weight, and would like to keep the rig to 25#s.

Click the pictures for the Cannondale specifications page:

'06 Scalpel 1000

'07 Caffeine F1

So far, with my limited experience, climbing seems to be my strong suit. I'm concerned with wether or not a rear suspension would lessen my climbing ability. Also, would a rear suspension put less power down for speed? I don't believe this rear shock has a lock-out? In reading the reviews on this bike there are quite a few mentions of the rear end wobbling or fish-tailing in the corners and it being "twitchy" on downhills.

Does anyone have a weight on a stock Scalpel 1000?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I have a bunch of friends who race and love Scapel's. One guy likes the bike so much he had a picture of it tattooed on his leg (no joke!).

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have a scalpel with a rp3 (like the 1000). It's a stable platform shock, so it's designed not to bob, even though it doesn't have a full manual lockout. Personally, I think it works very well, although the hardtail will be lighter, and arguably better for climbing.

Cannondale Snob
    How well would the Scalpel do at AM type riding? The bike I get will probably see 50% AM trails, if not more. I just don't want a heavy AM bike and can't afford a light AM bike!