mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Burning legs right from the start

Hey,

I have realized during the last training rides that my legs start burning right from the training start and I have the feeling that I do not have full power. During uphills actually my legs limit the pace while my pulse and my general endurance are not yet at their threshold.

Some other days I seem to have full power in my legs and I can cycle up endless hills out of the saddle without feeling anything in my muscles.

I have yet to find out what I have to do to always have those good days. Anyone has hints? Am I missing carbohydrates? Protein? Hydration? etc.?

Thanks a lot

mtbr member

Burning legs right from the start

When getting ready for a ride I find embrocation useful pre-ride. I'll rub a layer of warm up cream into my legs, hips and lower back, along with my arms if it's going to be cold and wet, about 15 minutes before setting off. It helps get my legs going early on, giving them a nice warm sensation. Remember to wash your hands thoroughly after applying the warm up cream, so that you don't accidentally get some of the warm up cream in your eyes by rubbing them with your hands during the ride.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/natures-kiss...ports-rub-90g/

For my pre-ride routine I like to have a Quaker Oat So Simple cereal bar about 15 minutes before setting off.

http://quaker.co.uk/products/morning-bars

Immediately before putting my helmet and sun glasses on I drink a 250ml glass of plain water, do a few quick stretches (touching toes, quadriceps stretch, calf stretch) and then head out the door.

It usually takes 10-15 minutes for your body to adapt and begin producing endorphins early on and really settle down. If you can use the first part of any training ride as a warmup, rather than going flat out immediately that's best. If you have a climb straight away try riding up it in bottom gear well within yourself, instead of attacking it hard. By easing into a ride it gives a chance for your muscles and tendons to loosen up, reducing the chance of picking up an injury.

If your legs are feeling a bit stiff or tight giving them a good shake from time to time (as shown at around 5min 20 in the video below) can help a little too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxXqQqAc2pA

mtbr member
    There are 2 ways of attacking this apart from the obvious warmup.

1 is beta alinine dosing, you need to take it constantly and it will take 6 weeks to get to a level in your muscles that will optimise the effect. You must find slow release tabs of it, the powder is terrible stuff and you must control dosing.

2 is consuming 3 or 4 sachets of a urinary alkaliser like ural just before the ride, beware this is the same as consuming a a tablespoon or 2 of sodium bi carbonate, so much water needs to be consumed with it or you get the worlds fastest diahorea .

Look both up from a sports performance study perspective to get correct doses, and be aware of side effects. Both techniques effect acid buffering , and there is also some evidence to support change in diet - ie cut acidic juices out of your diet can help

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    +1 Beta Alanine & loading- I have no problem with powder in morning protein shake though.

Best price on amazon
    Amazon.com: NOW Foods Beta Alanine Powder 500G: Health & Personal Care