mtbr member
    Feb 2013

bumping the big ring over logs, how common?

I find the races I'm doing often have a couple of log-overs where I hit my big ring (no damage yet), and not many downhill gravel roads where I can use the big ring. I'm considering removing the big ring for better clearance. I don't get around to very many trails, and my local trails don't have log crossings that large. You guys have a lot of log-overs?, remove the big ring? (xtr m970 crank).

mtbr member
    I've cogged over quite a few logs and only ever damaged one. That's with salsa and shimano 44 and 46T rings which are kinda minimal. As long as you don't go sideways it is a common technique to use that as a featured grip. For some removing the ring and using a bash guard in the 34t diameter range for more clearance. It is up to you for what range you want to lock in at, but I would personally keep the option of some tall gears as long as I could.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member

bumping the big ring over logs, how common?

Eventually you will just cream your big ring into a bash guard itself. Personally, I rarely used it, so I removed it and put in a bash guard.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I think its a technique issue. I see a bunch of chainring marks on our big logs locally and I never understand how they are bashing the log. Most guys slow down to clear a log but I find speed helps. Its kind of hard to explain the technique but its very fluid. I get the front tire on the log and then pull up on the back. The speed carries me so the back tire taps the top of the log or just clears it all together. You have to pull the back up high enough so you dont hit the log low. Is like doing a J hop but using the front tire on the log as a fulcrum. Hope this helps
    2011 S works SS 29er
    2011 S works 29er 2x9
    2010 roubaix Elite, full RED group

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Oh and keep off the front brake and lean back on the way over so you don't go otb
    2011 S works SS 29er
    2011 S works 29er 2x9
    2010 roubaix Elite, full RED group

mtbr member
    I like imprinting my chainring into logs to show bike use the trail. In the old days, big logs were crossed by throwing you bike onto the log, sticking the big ring , and using the chainring as a crampon to pull over the log. If you bunny hopped, you had a good chance bending you fork, or bashing a wheel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    These are pretty big logs (18" + -) with a small log in front and one behind, kind of like a log ramp. The bigger ones that that I just did cyclocross style, I have been practicing my barriers anyway. These trails were pretty tight and rooty, difficult to get up much speed. I should have described the logs better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I do this on logs sometimes. I think if you're going to scrape the log with the big ring then make sure the chain is also on that ring. It will help protect it and also stop the teeth from digging in so much.

This video explains log clearing techniques quite well:

I can't do it though..I can bunnyhop small logs but whenever I try the technique at 2:00 as JMCCRNA outlined I end up hitting the log with the back wheel and kind of smacking down hard on the front (semi-endo). I guess it's down to timing and maybe confidence to have a bit more speed but I can't quite get it...