Metalheadbikerider

Bruised ribs before race day

This Winter I have been working my ass off to get ready for the race season, and specifically, a race this coming weekend. Well, a week ago I was hauling a loaded wheelbarrow up a ramp, slipped, and fell full-force with the top of my rib cage into the end of the handle. Totally knocked the wind out of me as I struggled to regain my breathing. I have been icing it, taking Advil, stretching, and doing breathing exercises and it just isn't getting better. I tried to ride the trainer and it hurt as I pulled back on the bars. I am tempted to take a bunch of Advil the morning of the race (totally takes the soreness away), but am afraid a hard effort will make it worse and a longer recovery. Or, worse yet I crash on it! It really sucks to work so damn hard, only to have this happen. Anyone have something similar happen to you? How long did it take to heal? Did you race anyway?
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    I crashed into a log and bruised or cracked a couple ribs a few months back. I was off the bike completely for 5 days then limited to road riding for another 5 days. Even then I had to be very careful about pulling up on the bars and wouldn't have tried racing. It took 4 weeks for it to feel 100% healed but these things probably vary based on how bad it is.
    Last edited by dan4jeepin; 04-25-2013 at 06:57 AM.

mtbr member
    You say "specifically, a race this coming weekend," but also "for the race season." You may need to decide which is more important to you.

I don't know how bad your ribs are, but maybe entering and going conservatively is the way to go. Are there series points on the line?

Metalheadbikerider
    Quote Originally Posted by KAriadne View Post
    You say "specifically, a race this coming weekend," but also "for the race season." You may need to decide which is more important to you.

I don't know how bad your ribs are, but maybe entering and going conservatively is the way to go. Are there series points on the line?
    Yeah, that was confusing. What I meant was that I worked hard this off-season to get better results overall, and the race this weekend is a race I really enjoy (true mtb course) and always want to do well at. There are series points on the line, but there are other races to choose from in the series. Thanks for the reply.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Actually, it looks like I really do know where you are coming from.

I , too, worked really hard over the winter 'cause I want to do well in all my races this year. The first race of our season (week and a half ago) was particularly important to me cause it "my kind of course" and because I DNF'd there last year (my first season) due to a technical issue (bad contact lens, i.e., no depth perception).

So if I had gotten injured before that race, especially something as tricky as ribs, it would have been hard for me to decide which was more important: the race or the season. Should I not start? Start but go easy (here that would at least give me participation points toward the series)? Go all out and risk delaying my recovery?

Metalheadbikerider
    Quote Originally Posted by KAriadne View Post
    Actually, it looks like I really do know where you are coming from.

I , too, worked really hard over the winter 'cause I want to do well in all my races this year. The first race of our season (week and a half ago) was particularly important to me cause it "my kind of course" and because I DNF'd there last year (my first season) due to a technical issue (bad contact lens, i.e., no depth perception).

So if I had gotten injured before that race, especially something as tricky as ribs, it would have been hard for me to decide which was more important: the race or the season. Should I not start? Start but go easy (here that would at least give me participation points toward the series)? Go all out and risk delaying my recovery?
    Exactly! Tough choice.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    I tried to ride the trainer and it hurt as I pulled back on the bars. I am tempted to take a bunch of Advil the morning of the race (totally takes the soreness away), but am afraid a hard effort will make it worse and a longer recovery. Or, worse yet I crash on it! It really sucks to work so damn hard, only to have this happen. Anyone have something similar happen to you? How long did it take to heal? Did you race anyway?
    What's the Doctor say?

Metalheadbikerider
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    What's the Doctor say?
    Didn't go. Just assumed nothing can be done, so didn't want to take the time to see one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    a bruised rib can hurt like hell, I bruised one skiing years back and it hurt to sneeze/cough, I think it took a couple of weeks. I can't imagine racing with a bruised or cracked rib. I think you're going to have to take a break, -bummer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I suggest gettin a good massage. I seem to hurt/break ribs all the time. What I've found is the muscles tightening up is what hurts the most. The key is to get someone who knows about injuries, because the spa fluff and buff won't do anything. You may feel worlds better after. Good luck.

Metalheadbikerider
    Thanks everyone. Appreciate the replies. I think I am gonna pass on the race, and then a step back in the training plan and ramp it back up for the next race. Cheers!

mtbr member
    I lightly bruised mine 4 weeks ago, but kept riding anyway (I hurt them worse last year and this didnt feel as bad so had a point of reference, sneezing/coughing didnt hurt this time around) .... well 3 weeks after I still had soreness, so I took a week off of riding, then went for a rode ride, another 4 days of rest .... went for a mtn ride last night and they are sore again.

So back to no mtn riding

bikerbert

Bruised ribs before race day

Go. See. The. Doc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Doc will tell you to rest for a month... Nothing else you can do... I've separated and bruised ribs on many occasions... Any activity will aggravate it... This one time after a work out, I re-separated my ribs while brushing my teeth...