mtbr member

Breathe Right/Nasal Dilation Question?

Hello All,
    I am a 50+ Cat 1 XC racer looking to enhance my performance where I can. I have a deviated septum from a teenage injury, so I have somewhat restricted nasal passages. I also seem to perpetually have some sinus/nasal congestion that causes additional restriction. Although I am doing a combination mouth/nose breathing, I am wondering if I could decrease my nasal restriction, it might give me some small performance increase. I have read the mixed studies on Breathe Right strips, but maybe they might be better for someone who actually has abnormal nasal passages? Does anyone have a similar situation and successful experience, other input?
    Also, while watching the TDF, I noticed that some of the racers put an ointment under their noses while warming up that I understand is to clear their sinuses. I am guessing it might be eucalyptus based, does anyone know what the ointment really is? Has anyone tried it for race applications?

Thanks,
    Wardo

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I had a deviated septum from a teenage injury as well. It seemed to get worse in my 30's so, it was corrected with surgery. The doctor will basically take a drill and open the air way. The procedure was done about 5 years ago and everything is fine. Huge improvement in terms of sinus issues, and even more so in my performance running and on the bike. This is a permanent fix compared to strips or an ointment. Something to consider with your doctor.

FKA Malibu412
    I have friends who use the strips and they say that they help. Inexpensive and harmless experiment to see of they work for you.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    What is the downtime like with a procedure like that?

I've been thinking of doing g something similar as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jrabenaldt View Post
    What is the downtime like with a procedure like that?

I've been thinking of doing g something similar as well.

Pretty quick, the procedure was done on a Friday, and I was back at work on Tuesday without any issues. It sounds and looks worse than it feels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    How does the doc want you to take it easy?

mtbr member
    Thanks, I hadn't thought of taking that route, but your experience is helpful. My left side is about 50% more restricted then my right. I'll try the strips and see what that yields. If I am not satisfied, I'll seek out an ENT.

Regards,
    Wardo

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jrabenaldt View Post
    How does the doc want you to take it easy?

To be honest I cannot remember. Must have been very minimal like a week or less.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm soon to go in for the procedure so glad to hear that there is big improvement in both the sinus issues/congestion and riding performance. Almost looking forward to getting it done now!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dreednya View Post
    I'm soon to go in for the procedure so glad to hear that there is big improvement in both the sinus issues/congestion and riding performance. Almost looking forward to getting it done now!
    Please let me know how it goes, I'd like a few data points before pursuing this.

Thanks,
    Wardo

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I also have restricted airflow through my nose and I have used strips while both racing/riding and have noticed a big difference. The only issue I have is getting the strips to stay on while riding/racing, every time they fall off due to sweat, they need to make the adhesive stronger!

mtbr member
    I've now done a few hard workouts with Breathe Right strips and I can say that anecdotally, they much improve my nasal air flow. I don't have any empirical data as to whether this improves my performance, but intuitively it would seem to. If nothing else, there is a psychological boost to being able to breathe freely through my nostrils. I am going to schedule a visit with the local ENT as well.

Thanks,
    Wardo

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    A less invasive approach is to go to an ENT and see if the condition is bad enough to warrant a prescription steroid(??) to help clear the passage. This works for me as I can go months between use. Maybe my condition isn't as bad as yours??

The key for USAC racing with this tactic is you will likely need a TUE. The form is not a big deal. The steps are very clear at USADA.