mtbr member

blur classic vs. blur xt vs. superlight for beginner racer

I was wondering if some of you hard core sc racing people could help me out?
    Here is my deal:

I want to get into XC racing (will be entering intermediate categories). I have a santa cruz blur classic that is very light and very fast. The deal is that this bike was in a car accident where the rear swing arm of the frame was crushed. Everything else on the bike is in good shape. I could replace the rear swing arm for $300 and have a blur to race on.

Or. . I could buy a santacruz superlight frame for abougt $400 and use all the components (All XT) off of the injured blur.

Or. . I could buy a santacruz blur xc frame and use all the components off the inured blur.

Of course I would get a new lighter wheelset and tires for whatever I choose.

The thing is, my blur frame is a size large. I am 5'11 and it fits me vertically, but horizontally I have to really reach for the handlebars even with a super short stem.

Help!

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Xc

Of course the XC will be a better race bike due to the lower weight and geometry. However, your classic is a fine bike. It's a fuzz heavy but not bad at all. With a light wheelset you are set to go. Saving 1/4 lb in the frame for $1,700 is foolish compared to saving 1.5lbs in rotational weight the wheels for $800....

If it doesn't fit you well, than you may find that you get alot more comfort and power output out of a bike that does. Does a medium fit you better? It seems like you are in-between sizes a bit. Maybe the medium will cause a different fit issue? It's amazing how much more power you can put down with a good fit. My buddy just got a pro fit and his power output wne tup 20 watts in his new position.

Before you make a decision see where you end up with a professional fit. If you still belong on a large with a few component changes, keep your bike and buy some Stans Olympics.... Otherwise start trying out the Superlite and Blur XC...
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    THanks for your reply,
    I have found a lightly used superlight medium frame for $400, and am thinking about just swapping components onto that bike and then save up for lighter wheels.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Wheels

Yup,

Wheels are the key. Nothing else will make your bike perform better!
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.