mtbr member

Which bike on the trainer?

The cold weather has arrived here in the mid-atlantic, and though it will warm up again before it goes full bore into winter, it's got me thinking about my winter training routine. This will be my first winter where I will be setting up an indoor trainer to keep my legs in somewhat decent shape. I have a plan already developed, but my question is which bike should I be putting on the trainer?

I have a 26" steel single-speed that I have been thinking would be a nice choice, but I also have my aluminum road bike that would be a good option. I've decided that I would not try to put my full suspension bike on a trainer. I've haven't spent much time on a trainer so I wanted to get peoples advice on which bike to put on there. Once I get the bike on the trainer I don't want to pull it out until spring. The main difference is wheel size and having different gears available to me vs. spinning a constant gear ratio.

What are you putting on your trainer this winter and what are other considerations should I take into account?
    Last edited by jboyd122; 10-03-2011 at 07:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The road bike and if you have good tires change them out for something cheaper because they will get worn out.

mtbr member
    The FS is certainly not recommended for use on a trainer given the rear suspension deficit you would incur.

I would use the road bike. The gears have an advantage over the SS.
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..

mtbr member
    It might depend on how your trainer's resistance is adjusted. If it isn't something you can adjust while riding, go for the geared bike, so you can change resistance by changing gears without having to stop and get off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd122 View Post
    What are you putting on your trainer this winter and what are other considerations should I take into account?
    Road bike is what I put on my trainer. But I mostly ride rollers.

I like being able to change the gearing for different workouts (fast spins, strength work, etc.). Single speed wouldn't work for that.

It's also nice having a rear wheel mounted computer so that you can get speed of your rear wheel. Gives you an indication of power output to see how power is progressing.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Remember to cover your bar/headset area because you're going to be sweating a lot. You'll need something under the front tire to prop up the bike so you're in the normal riding position too.

SSOD
    Yeah a phone book works well under the front wheel. Go with the road bike and throw an old tire or cheap one on there to train on.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    Road bike is what I put on my trainer. But I mostly ride rollers.

I like being able to change the gearing for different workouts (fast spins, strength work, etc.). Single speed wouldn't work for that.

It's also nice having a rear wheel mounted computer so that you can get speed of your rear wheel. Gives you an indication of power output to see how power is progressing.

/\ This, and I would add cadence as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Road bike for sure. Get a trainer-specific tire, they're pretty inexpensive, quieter, and don't get shredded by the trainer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I use a steel 26" SS (my commuting bike) on my trainer, and it works well for me. I prefer using it over my road bike, as I don't have to worry about the extra stress stationary trainers put on the frame -- I feel comfortable doing out of the saddle sprints on the trainer with the mtb frame, but wouldn't dream of doing it with my road frame.

Whether it will work for you will depend on your gearing and trainer. My commuting bike is set up with a reasonably high gear (can't recall exact number at the moment) and my trainer has a high range of adjustability through a handlebar mounted dial. On low resistance I could spin away all day, on full resistance at highish cadence I struggle with 1 minute.

I haven't had a problem with cheap commuter-type slick tires on the trainer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've got a Trek 4500 hard tail with road tires and rims on it that I use on my trainer. Knobby tires are loud and wear down. If I were you I would go with the road bike for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I use a Bianchi Brava road bike with inexpensive tires. I elevate the front above the rear to increase intensity. Get a high quality training program like Carmichael training systems. They have several different programs. Just ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbspicerider View Post
    I elevate the front above the rear to increase intensity.

Do you also ride in the drops for better aerodynamics?

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    No questions on my end, the road machine gets the trainer. I used my off-road ride a lot in it, but the noise is overwhelming and vibrations are bad. Now that I finally brazed my road bike back together, I cannot wait to put it back in the trainer in January.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbspicerider View Post
    I use a Bianchi Brava road bike with inexpensive tires. I elevate the front above the rear to increase intensity.

Yep, going uphill will do that to ya.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I would go with the road bike and pick up some Chris Carmichael DVD's. I ride more road than I do Mt and the Carmichael DVD's helped me in both disciplines. I picked up Climbing Power, Climbing Speed, and Climbing Strength last year. They helped me get through and come out of the winter stronger. Also, riding the trainer can get boring and the DVD's help pass time since you are doing intervals the entire time.

I would post a link to the DVD's however I am restricted from doing so.

J

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Any experience with the 5 disc set: PROGRESSIVE POWER CYCLING DVDs? I was seriously considering using them for my weekday indoor trainer rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasond View Post
    I would go with the road bike and pick up some Chris Carmichael DVD's. I ride more road than I do Mt and the Carmichael DVD's helped me in both disciplines. I picked up Climbing Power, Climbing Speed, and Climbing Strength last year. They helped me get through and come out of the winter stronger. Also, riding the trainer can get boring and the DVD's help pass time since you are doing intervals the entire time.

I would post a link to the DVD's however I am restricted from doing so.

J

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RickRinaldo123 View Post
    Any experience with the 5 disc set: PROGRESSIVE POWER CYCLING DVDs? I was seriously considering using them for my weekday indoor trainer rides.
    I do not have experience with the Progressive Power Cycling DVD's but if they are anything like the Climbing series I would say they will help. They look interesting since it's an entire program.

Another way to increase power is do it off the bike. Personally I'll be walking away from the bike very soon until about January as I have been doing P90x lately. That program has also helped my cycling.

Dirt Huffer
    Knobby tires on a trainer are super loud and suck!

Use your AL road bike and buy the cheapest rear tire you can find. You definately want a geared bike on a trainer to very resistance if you buy a cheaper trainer that makes you get off the bike to adjust resistance.
    26" for life!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    buy the cheapest rear tire you can find.
    They actually sell tires for trainers and they are not very expensive and will last far longer than a normal tire. They are also very sticky and allow you to really push on the pedals without the tire slipping.

Vittoria, Conti, Kurt Kinetics, Serfas, and a few others put out trainer tires and are between $20 - $35. IMHO well worth the money.