mtbr member
    Oct 2009

bike price estimate???

Hey so the shop I usually go to takes bikes for trade in as a method of down payment to knock some of the money off of the bike you want to buy SO I was thinking about doing it but I just wanted to get an idea of what some of ya'll think so that way when they give me an offer I will know if it's a good offer or low ball one...here's my bike and specs, thanks!

2008 Trek EX7
    (upgrades below)

Mavic Crossride wheelset

Noir Truvative XC 3.3 carbon crankset

XTR carbon rear der.

XT shifters

Kenda Small block 8s (maybe 70 miles on them)

Brand new Crank Bros. Smarties

Chris King Headset (brand new)

Thomson Elite Seat post

Wireless Cateye set up

everything on the bike is a year old or less, I've ridden it hard and definitely put some miles on it, but I keep it clean and always bring it in for tune ups or tweaks when needed, rides as good as it ever did....

ups and downs
    A bike more than 1 season old is likely only going to be worth about 25% off your new bike, unless they are especially generous, or it is an "in demand" model. They'd likely markup a used bike 100% to resell it and it wouldn't be worth more than 50% of it's new value.

The upgrades also don't get much return on the used market, you're better off putting the OEM bits back on and keeping the upgrades for the new bike or selling them separately.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada