mtbr member
    Nov 2009

bike fit suggestions

figured i would post this here since i race and i think most people that do put alot more time in the saddle so are more informed.

stuff about me 5'10 32 inseam, giant anthem size large 26 inch version 90mm stem. problem started when i had a 75mm stem on it so i tried a little longer.
    center of seat post to middle of handlebars where they attach to stem. 26.5inches
    seat heigh= bb to saddle 28.25 inches.
    have my knee positioned slightly behind spindle

last year was the first year i rode mutiple days in a row during the week to train. previously i usually just rode on the weekend usually both days for up to 3 hours. and every once in awhile 4.5hrs. so i don't think i would have noticed a small problem with my fit. this year i rode my mountain bike on the road three times during the week and then twice off road on the weekend on average. mostly 2 hr rides during the week and 3+hr ride on one of the weekend days. my neck started hurting at the base of it and since has never gone away including taking some time off. it almost never hurts while i am on the bike but if i take a break to refill my bottles on the longer rides as soon as i get back on the bike my neck is locked for 3-5 minutes. i cannot look up and then eventually it all relaxes and i am back to my normal self as long as i don't stop. i was curious if there is anything i could do with my setup that might help this, i have heard tilting the seat forward can promote better posture. how about rolling my bars back a bit, maybe my shoulder are to tense? maybe my controls need to be rotated which would promote a different stance on the bike?

anybody my height know what there measurement is from the seat post to handlebars? i am wondering if i am to stretched out.

before i here get a fit done i have. i think i might not fit into the numbers they use and i need something a little different. and i also know you cant see me to it is hard to diagnose but i am just looking for ideas. maybe something simple that i haven't thought of that could make the long rides a bit more enjoyable.

thanks,
    adam

mtbr member
    Lots and lots of variables. I'd suggest you bite the bullet and get a professional fit. They should be better equipped to factor in the bikes geometry, your body, any medical history, etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sounds like you need a 29er. The added front end hight would help with your neck cramps.

Just kidding. There are a lot of veriables to bike fit. I'm 5'10 and run my seat at 30.25 from BB to top of saddle and center of seat to middle of my bars is 28". I have long legs and arms and a short torso. My seat is also 2" above my bars.

A bike fit might help address some issues but some core exercise or yoga might help. Haveing some one take a picture of your riding position and posting that might help someone pin point some fit issues also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    Sounds like you need a 29er. The added front end hight would help with your neck cramps.

Just kidding. There are a lot of veriables to bike fit. I'm 5'10 and run my seat at 30.25 from BB to top of saddle and center of seat to middle of my bars is 28". I have long legs and arms and a short torso. My seat is also 2" above my bars.

A bike fit might help address some issues but some core exercise or yoga might help. Haveing some one take a picture of your riding position and posting that might help someone pin point some fit issues also.
    i actually did buy a 29er which is why i am revisiting this while i am setting it up i usually just copy my old setup but since that isn't working anymore i was wondering what tweaks i could make that would maybe help me out a little bit. i will be getting fit on this bike but i am trying a different fitter to see what he says. since i want to ride the bike now i didn't now if there is something i could try in the mean time. i figured trying something wouldn't end the world even if a professional fitter didn't sign off on it.

mtbr member
    Fit Calculator - Competitive Cyclist

This one seems pretty good since it takes into account arm length and femur length; and differentiates by bike type.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i did those calulcators and my bike is pretty much set within those parameters. but like i said things like saddle tilt or rolling of the handlbars, or maybe even a wider handlebar don't show up on those charts and can definately have an affect on fit.