Thread: Bike fit

mtbr member

Bike fit

So, I decided it was time to get a real bike fit. Yesterday, I had a retul bike fit done on my road bike. My seat post got swapped, from a set back to zero set back. My seat was set all the way forward, and the seat height was lowered 3/4". So, the bike feels way different to me now. I've been riding 3 years with the old setup. I spun today on the rollers for 30 min, and its going to take some time to get used to it.

1.) How much time does it typically take? I should have got the fit done in december, so I could have adapted all winter. Now, spring is slowly creeping in, and its going to be time to start putting the hours in. I'm just a little worried I wont be able to ride as much as I should be.

2.) I will be getting in for my mtb fit within the next couple weeks. Our trails are still snow covered, so I've been snow biking 3 days a week, along with riding inside. Should I at least get my saddle height down closer to the road bike fit? I'm not getting a fit on the snow bike, but I can match the seat height with the mtb when it gets done. I suppose the same question applies to my cx bike also. My road cranks are 172.5, and the rest of my bikes are all 175.

Thanks for any insight!

mtbr member
    A friend of mine had a fit done recently, and now he looks so good on his bike. It's definitely made him faster.

The more you ride it, the quicker you'll get used to it. If I were you I'd just ride as much as possible and you will soon adapt to the new setup
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member

Bike fit

So what did you think of the entire bike fit process.

Erik

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    So what did you think of the entire bike fit process.

Erik
    I thought it was pretty interesting. The sensors do a good job at picking up even small changes. I tried to ask a lot of questions, and I was curious about switching between different shoes. I used an online guide to set up my seat height, and seat fore/aft position. So, I thought my fit would have been much closer than it was. Also, for the money, I think it will be worth it. Time will tell of course.

mtbr member

Bike fit

Just curious. How expensive was it?

Erik

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    Just curious. How expensive was it?

Erik
    $150

mtbr member
    I had a retul fit through the sponsoring shop. My seat got moved higher about 1.5 cm. setback very close to what it was.

I'm starting to like it and after 3 weeks, I'm getting used to it. Did a 3 hour RR ending with hills and the power seems good. Endurance is getting better but was a struggle at first.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I would recommend you adapt to the position by slowly moving your seat from the original position down and forward progressively 2mm per ride until you end up at the end result allowing your body to "burn in" the new position.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Drider85 View Post
    I would recommend you adapt to the position by slowly moving your seat from the original position down and forward progressively 2mm per ride until you end up at the end result allowing your body to "burn in" the new position.
    I agree. That's a big change. I am surprised the 'fitter' didn't suggest it.

I never heard of anyone having to lower their seat height 3/4", especially with moving seat forward. I have heard of raising it drastically like that, but not lowering it. Interesting.

If you think your fit on road bike is right, I would just take measurements and set up your MTB accordingly.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Drider85 View Post
    This is good advise. Sudden large changes are a receipt for injury.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice. I've just been spinning on the rollers for 30-45 min at a time. I also changed the seat height on my cx and snow bike. But, winter is refusing to go away, so, I guess I still have time to adapt! I'll leave my mtb alone, and see how close that was in the next week or 2.

I too thought 3/4" was quite a bit. In races, the first and usually the only thing to cramp would be one of my calves. So maybe that is from the saddle being too high?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    scribed

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I believe having your saddle back further engages your glutes, hams and calves more. So moving it forward might help with reducing calf cramping a bit.