Thread: bike fit

mtbr member

bike fit

I got some help from used2bhard on comparing frames and fit.
    on my epic I have the fit where i want it, on my new HT i want it the same. I did all the measurments and the frame geometires. the only thing that is annying is that form the nose of the seat to the center on the grips is 24" in both bikes. but the HT has a 105 stem and a 90 stem on the epic. the reason the measuments are the same is because the bars on the HT are 600 mm and the epic is 660 mm. now is this important or do i need to get a shorter stem for the HT?
    S-Works all the bikes!
    Just another used cat for sale

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Bar width has a huge effect on the feel of a bike. A 60mm difference in width is going to make the feel of both bikes considerably different. If you want the same fit on each bike you should be running bars with same width and same sweep.

A couple of weeks ago I would have said trim the 660mm bars and go with a longer stem. However, I just put 680mm bars on my dually and when I switch to my hardtail with the 635mm bars I am not happy.

ups and downs
    I just replaced the 25" (635mm) wide bars on my 4" FS with a 26" (660mm) bar because I've been running the 26" on the hardtail (that darn Kabush challenge) and found the 25" bars just felt weirdly narrow.

And all this happened after replacing the 24" flat bar on the hardtail with the 26" low rise bar a couple of months ago after taking the Kabush challenge to try wider bars on an XC hardtail. It is really hard to mix bar widths on bikes that have similar purposes. And it is really hard to go back to a 600mm wide bar on a bike after adapting to the 660m wide bars.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    that is what i was thinking, If i stay with the flats then i'll leave the 105 stem, but if i go to a 640 mm bar (ones i found i like the best) then i will go with a 90 stem. but the flat seem a little weird. I can't remeber the last time i ran a bar that narrow.
    S-Works all the bikes!

mtbr member
    now will i have fit issues if i stay with the narrow bars and longer stem even though the distance is the same?
    S-Works all the bikes!

ups and downs
    Not just fit issues, but the steering leverage and steering input will feel very different. After riding my hardtail with the 26" bar, jumping on my 4" FS bike with a 25" bar made it feel like I'd forgotten how to ride the bike. And if I jump on my old hardtail that still has a 24" flat bar and 120mm stem, it feels completely wobbly.

As LMN noted, you'll likely find that the only way it will be comfortable is to end up with the same bar/stem combo on all the bikes to keep the weight position, and handling speed and feel similar.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    ok, that is what i was thinking. i guess i'll try this combo wensday but plan on changing.
    S-Works all the bikes!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've got 3 mtn bikes all with somewhat different fit and feel. I don't find it difficult to switch back and forth as long as I regularly ride each of them. I think you've already gone a long way to ensuring you can ride each of them with little adjustment. Just go with what you have for a while.