mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Bike commuting and training

After three years of absence I want to take up racing again. Apart from having a family now I'm a bike commuter now. My commute is about an hour one way. Depending on how well my twin girls sleep at night (do they every sleep through?) I commute by bike about 4 times a week.

How do I incorporate this in my training? Clearly, intervals are a prime candidate (Tue and Thu, Wed easy go). But when? In the morning or in the afternoon. I've read that it is recommended to do them in the morning and use the afternoon ride for easy go. Makes sense to do them when your fresh but I'd rather do it the other way round. I'm more in hammer mode after work. A bad idea?

Any other recommendations? Just want to see what others may think.

mtbr member
    I prefer riding easy in the morning and hard after work. Just don't like showing up sweaty. I usually take my bike on train in the morn.

After work I take some flat low traffic roads home and do assorted intervals. My road bike has a PM so I can target tempo, threshold, and VO2max type power stuff. Threshold I have most difficulty with, hard for me to hold that high long power.

I find that it's a good idea to get max recovery between int sessions. So if going hard Tues night, then go hard again Thursday night, rather than thurs morn.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member

Bike commuting and training

I also have to use commuter bike for about 50 percent if my training. It's a great way to turn an negative into a positive.
    Intervals are awesome, so are hill climbs. If you are rocking a 35-40 loaded commuter bike with 35 mm tires up Abd down hills, your legs will get in shape quickly.
    Also you can back off your tire pressure a bit so you have to push harder.

Bill

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The Time-Crunched Cyclist has a chapter on commuting + training, might be worth checking out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    This is what I do for training now. I commute on Tue and sometimes Thurs, 30 miles each way. Most time it is on my single speed. It not only is a great workout but I do not get burnt out like doing intervals too often. Every now and then I see someone on a road bike and I will get up and draft them until they pick up the pace trying to drop the MTB SS on his tail. Also there is a school zone and it is fun to see the looks on peoples faces when I am spinning a 130 cadence doing 20 mph with the cars. Makes training fun and saves gas as well. (luckily I have showers at work)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It has been a few years since my commuting for training. I remember thinking of each directions as one session. So total of 10, 1hr sessions for the week. Since you are effectly riding 1hr with less than a "normal" 23hrs off for recovery, I found that I needed to take 3-4 "sessions" off before the next interval to be fresh.

So, if interval on Monday morning, then easy that night and Tuesday morning. Maybe slightly harder Tuesday night, but not Z5. Wed morning easy, maybe interval again on Wed night. (this isn't exact, but you get the point).

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    In the end it's all about figuring out how well one recovers. I definitely need more time.

Had a look at the new Time Crunched Cyclist edition. Quite a lot of pages that are free on Amazon. His program would be too tough for me. I'd burn out within a few weeks. Iowasgriz's suggestion is more in line with what I can tolerate. Nonetheless, the Crunched Cyclists is definitely worth a read to get some ideas. The Kindle edition isn't that expensive.

I'm in the special situation that my commute is park & ride. 30 min by car, 1 hr by bike. Every once in a while I commute the entire distance (~55 miles) by car in the morning and by bike in the evening. Next day by bike in the morning and back home by car. This means getting home quite late the one day and having to get up early (4:45 am latest) the next day. With twin babies at home I appreciate every hour of sleep that I can get. Hopefully this will become better next year so I will include this into my routine. This will help me build some more base endurance . Most of my races are more in the 3-4 hours range.