Thread: Bike choices

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Bike choices

I haven't done much MTB riding for a while as I have been concentrating on (road) Multisports races. I have decided to start doing some more xc riding as part of my winter training and perhap to some offroad Mulitsports races next year. My current bike is a Trek STP 200 (carbon softail).
    I am currently deciding if I should keep this bike and just replace some of the parts or if i should sell it and get a new bike.

I would like to give disk brakes a try (I am in the UK so the winter riding is pretty muddy)but unfortunaly my stp doesn't have mounts which counts against it.

Other bikes I am looking at include an Kinesis Maxlight pro 2 xt equiped, R7 platinum forks, hope brakes = www.kinesisbikes.co.uk (cheapest option)
    Scott Scale 30 or 20
    And a 2006 Trek 9.9 I have seen for the same price as a the Scale 20.

Any opinins on these bikes?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Dang...that's like asking if you should take the Porsche or Ferarri!!!! You don't know until you ride one as you know with bikes. The Scott and Trek appear similar in geometry but not sure on specs. Good luck!

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Scale is good.

It comes down to fit, but I have no complaints about my Scale. I bought a Scale 20 and added lighter wheels, XTR cranks, and a few carbon parts. I ended up below 21 lbs.

Members who have read this thread: 0