mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Best XC bike out of these, best deal (with prices)

Well I was looking on the internet and was trying to find new complete bikes, here are some XC/Trail bikes I was interested in. What bike do you think is the best deal, and super fast+trail?

-Yeti ASR Carbon - $3478
    http://www.fullcycles.com/product_in...oducts_id/1546
    -Ellsworth Truth - $3700
    http://rbikes.com/product/ellsworth-...-kit-16798.htm
    -Orbea OIZ Carbon, Team - $4400
    http://thebikepalace.com/product/orb...am-58676-1.htm
    -Trek Top Fuel 9.8 - $4500
    http://helenscycles.com/product/trek....8-48521-1.htm
    -Tomac Carbide, XC2 - $3200
    http://cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?i...+MOUNTAIN+BIKE

-thanks!

New MTB XC Racer
    For the price point try a Jamis Dakar XCR Expert.
    A few guys got them this year due to team sponsorship.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...xcrexpert.html

Cheers,
    Paul

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rum Runner
    For the price point try a Jamis Dakar XCR Expert.
    A few guys got them this year due to team sponsorship.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...xcrexpert.html

Cheers,
    Paul
    seems pretty, nice, though for some odd reason I find myself leaning towards the Yeti ASR Carbon and Ellsworth Truth. Are you guys sponsored by Jamis? My teams sponsored by Specialized but I've never gotten any Specialized bikes ever lol.

New MTB XC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by terminus
    seems pretty, nice, though for some odd reason I find myself leaning towards the Yeti ASR Carbon and Ellsworth Truth. Are you guys sponsored by Jamis? My teams sponsored by Specialized but I've never gotten any Specialized bikes ever lol.
    Sorry miss-read your post. I realized after you where looking at 5 specific bikes

I like the Yeti but that seat post scares me

The Jamis Expert is around 26 pounds so not bad for the price. Our team store only carries Jamis and with team deals is by far the best weight/specs for the price

I personally ride a GT i-Drive with some upgrades and love it

What do you think about the Yeti having an integrated seat post???

Cheers,
    Paul

mtbr member
    I say the Trek, but I'm partial to them. The Trek has a lifetime warranty on the frame - do the others?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Either Trek (made in USA!), or the Orbea.
    A couple guys on my team have the Trek 9.8 and a few have the 9.9. Both very nice bikes.
    If you want a bike that's more "unusual" go with the Orbea or Tomac, you probably won't see to many of them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rum Runner
    Sorry miss-read your post. I realized after you where looking at 5 specific bikes

I like the Yeti but that seat post scares me

The Jamis Expert is around 26 pounds so not bad for the price. Our team store only carries Jamis and with team deals is by far the best weight/specs for the price

I personally ride a GT i-Drive with some upgrades and love it

What do you think about the Yeti having an integrated seat post???

Cheers,
    Paul

lol, totally same here, the integrated seat post looks amazing and is sure to turn heads...but I'm scared I'll fuk up cutting it. I'm 5'8 (about small-medium frame) and I'm not sure which frame to pick, and I'm scared I may have to cut the ASR Carbon super short to fit me if I get the medium frame, but with a medium frame my father can also ride it, additionally I'm still growing (I'm 17), so yea, the integrated seat post scares the sht out of me.

The Trek is really cool, but very expensive...but Armstrong uses the 9.9 which must mean it's good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The Trek might be more expensive, but it also has one of the better build kits of the bikes you listed. While I haven't been a fan of Trek mountain bikes for the last ten years, the new Treks kinda kick ass. The 9.8 is about 23.5lbs (w/out pedals) out of the box with tubeless ready wheels and tires, so not much need for upgrading. It is also supposed to be a pretty good trail bike for being an xc racer.
    I would steer clear of the Yeti carbon because of the seatpost. I grew a couple inches from where I was at 17. Why not consider the AL version?-- it's still pretty light and you probably could get a better build kit for the money.
    The orbea looks pretty cool and is probably really fast, but the shorter travel makes it less of a trail bike.
    If your team is sponsored by Spesh, shouldn't you at least get a deal on them? The epics aren't bad either.

mtbr member
    This bike was not on your list but the Intense Spider or maybe bikes that have the lower link gives these bikes great out of the saddle performance (no bob) or very little, I would love the Truth but stay in the saddle. My 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Whambat
    The Trek might be more expensive, but it also has one of the better build kits of the bikes you listed. While I haven't been a fan of Trek mountain bikes for the last ten years, the new Treks kinda kick ass. The 9.8 is about 23.5lbs (w/out pedals) out of the box with tubeless ready wheels and tires, so not much need for upgrading. It is also supposed to be a pretty good trail bike for being an xc racer.
    I would steer clear of the Yeti carbon because of the seatpost. I grew a couple inches from where I was at 17. Why not consider the AL version?-- it's still pretty light and you probably could get a better build kit for the money.
    The orbea looks pretty cool and is probably really fast, but the shorter travel makes it less of a trail bike.
    If your team is sponsored by Spesh, shouldn't you at least get a deal on them? The epics aren't bad either.
    yea, I do have deals, but I'm not a fan of Spec's XC bikes, though I do like their road bikes. Well I know the ASR Carbon is actually very expensive (I just found a complete bike with poorer parts) and the new Treks seem really good. Does anyone know if the ASR Carbon are made in USA and handcrafted?

FAT CHANCE!
    yea, I do have deals, but I'm not a fan of Spec's XC bikes, though I do like their road bikes. Well I know the ASR Carbon is actually very expensive (I just found a complete bike with poorer parts) and the new Treks seem really good. Does anyone know if the ASR Carbon are made in USA and handcrafted?
    Why does it matter? Do you know most carbon is made overseas and currently the better stuff is done in Taiwan (I donít know if that is opinion but a lot of the top companies are having it done there). Most European bike companies are having their carbon frames made in Taiwan as well. Still Handcrafted just different nationalities. The new ASR5 will have a normal seat post and it will come in a carbon and a alloy version of that frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    made in USA and handcrafted?
    Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2 - $4899
    Cannondale Scalpel 3 - $3749

Both handmade in the USA, Full Suspenison (4") and very very raceable, while being an everyday trail bike.

The alloy version isn't really all that much heavier, and visually, you can't tell the two apart unless you tap on them. BB30 bottom bracket and lefty are stiff AND light. If you want to go cheaper with an alloy scalpel with the alloy lefty, the alloy lefty has a very very stiff one piece upper now which is pretty darn cool, and still only weighs 3 lbs.

This should be on your list.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2 - $4899
    Cannondale Scalpel 3 - $3749

Both handmade in the USA, Full Suspenison (4") and very very raceable, while being an everyday trail bike.

The alloy version isn't really all that much heavier, and visually, you can't tell the two apart unless you tap on them. BB30 bottom bracket and lefty are stiff AND light. If you want to go cheaper with an alloy scalpel with the alloy lefty, the alloy lefty has a very very stiff one piece upper now which is pretty darn cool, and still only weighs 3 lbs.

This should be on your list.
    I'm about 90% sure that Cannondale started making there stuff in Taiwan.
    The only carbon frames I could find that are made in USA are Trek.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by COLINx86
    I'm about 90% sure that Cannondale started making there stuff in Taiwan.
    The only carbon frames I could find that are made in USA are Trek.

The carbon Flash no longer has the "Made In USA" but the scalpel is still sporting the logo, so I am still assuming the carbon Scalpel is still made in Pa.

The alloy one is definitely still made there though and that really isn't a heavy frame, especially for a bike with 4" of travel.