mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Best Muddy conditions tires??

What is a good tire for muddie XC trail riding with mud and wet leaves??
    Or what is a good tire tread pattern that I should look for. I am
    now using Specialized Fast tracks.

Rob

Loving Life
    I use kenda neveals with the stick-E compound, worked well for me during the squeezer this year where everyone else seemed to be slippin. They have a high rolling resistance, but if you use them in mudy conditions then thats the least of youyr worries

The need for singlespeed
    Continental has a mud-specific model--the CrossCountry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Check out mud-specific tires like the Bontrager Mud X, Maxxis Swampthing, etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Maxxis Medusa, looks like a motocross tire it rips...

ride the moment
    Kenda Nevegal.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

bi-winning
    In general, you want to look for a tire that has soft rubber, moderately tall and well spaced knobs, and a reasonable casing size. Too big could get really heavy, and tough to push through mud, and too small might hold you back if the trails have a moderate amount of rocks and roots.

I've used the WTB Prowler MX 2.1 Race (front only) for some muddy races and rides this year. It is much better than dry conditions tires like Crossmark, SB8, Python, etc.

When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

gunslinger
    Everyone's got an opinion, so here's mine...

Did 1.7mi in the mud (mild climb) a few weeks back running my Panaracer Dart/Smokes and was blown away @ the traction and "our" (me and the bike and the tires) ability to work thru mud that I thought I stood no chance with. Not only did I get thru it, I was "hauling" thru some deep, slick & nasty stuf. There were spots where I nearly stood still, but not quite... the rear had just enough bite to catch and move me forward and the front sharp enough to hold an edge where I needed it.

I'll add this:

I'm not a mud rider and that was my first ride ever in like non stop mud (besides BMXing thru the swamps of FL). Had I known it was going to be that muddy, I would not have gone. I don't ride MTB to have fun, I ride to meet the challenge, but I'll admit I was smiling thru some of those nasty sections.

Now that I know what that trail can be like when wet, I'll purposefully go back to ride mud (even though I ride it all the time cuz it's close to me).

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    There are two types of wet conditions.

1) Mud.

2) Mud, with rocks and roots.

For #1 you go with something fairly narrow with tall knobs. Usually to make the tires not too squirly the rubber compound is a bit harder. A good example would be a Maxxis Medussa.

For #2 you need a high volume tire with soft rubber compound. A Kenda Nevegal, or 2.2 Karma, would good examples.

mtbr member
    I've had good success with Conti's Speed King. Although not a specific mud tire, it has widely spaced knobs that clear quickly and good 'dig' as a drive tire. I suspect it may perform well as a front tire in the slop too. Good over roots as well, but I can't say about rocks. Seems to be a fast wearing tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I find UST Michellin XCR Muds to be fantastic for winter months here in Ireland. Good grip, light and quick rolling!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    +1 for the Michelins.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Conti Cross Country

I second a recommendation for Cross Country. You want a narrow tire for mud so you are able to cut right down to the harder soil for traction.

Brant-C.
    kenda nevegal is what i use...

black friday ride...conditions were very muddy...i was shooting rooster tails from what another rider told me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Muddy conditions tires??-dsc00473b.jpg  

Last edited by bcaronongan; 11-29-2009 at 12:10 PM.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    second for maxxis medusa