Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
  1. #1
    mnoutain bkie rdier
    Reputation: rydbyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,711

    Best FS 27.5 XC race machine

    After many years as a stubborn hardtail 29er guy, I am really considering a 27.5 FS for next season.

    As I have always said, here in S. Calif, a FS 29er just seemed like overkill for most of the courses.

    Sometimes it is nice to just switch things up for fun too...so...

    I am just now looking at the Scott Spark and the Giant Anthem 27.5, but have had limited time for research.

    Anyone have any thoughts on these two and how they compare?

    Anyone have any other suggestions?

    I know I am dreaming, but I want super light with a super stiff rear triangle (aka...one that can hold a line and not get noodly)

    I had the first generation Jet 9 when it launched for a "fun bike" and hated it fwiw...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fakie1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    891
    I'm also interested in both of these bikes. My LBS should have a demo anthem for me to ride soon. Closest Scott dealer is ~2 hours away. Hopefully someone has some ride opinions!

  3. #3
    I'd rather be riding
    Reputation: zippinveedub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    638
    I'm going to set here and patiently bide my time waiting for either a Trek Top Fuel 650b or Mach4 Carbon 650b. C'mon ya'll! You know you want to.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,560
    Not completely related to what you're asking, but I ride a Blur XCc 650b. It has a bit less than 4" rear travel. About 23.5 pounds (I posted recently about lighter wheels) with a 1x10 and durable tires. It's fast and fun, but for my races the 29er HT gets called to action. For me the few pounds difference and pedaling efficiency are worth the HT "pain" on my courses. When I judge whether or not to race the 650 FS I factor in the ascent vs descent, and all my pro buddies tell me all their time is made going up and they rest going down. And they've done week-long races in BC. Maybe if I had a bar mounted lockout it'd change my mind, but I like the HT instant pedal power.

    Maybe a 27.5 HT, and have the frame with some sort of compliance built in and high volume tires and seatpost with some give?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    862
    The anthem is the best fs I have ever ridden, and I've ridden all the big brands.
    This was all 26 bikes tho, but I don't see why wheel size would change that.

  6. #6
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,392
    The Xpreso sub 5 is a super sweet bike. Not as flashy as the major brands but rides just as well.

    Xprezo - Fabrication 100% canadienne
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    27
    I demoed a Giant Anthem Advance 27.5 a couple of weekends ago. I loved it. If you can get your hands on one to try, I'd highly recommend it. It was fast, maneuverable, and had a balanced geometry for xc racing. I ride a Turner Flux 26" now and it's one of the few bikes I like better. I wish Turner would put out a carbon 27.5 (the 29er Czar gets killer reviews though). Maybe next spring?? Or maybe Pivot updates their Mach 4 into a mid-wheel racing machine.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,232
    I too, race a converted Santa Cruz Blur XCc for cross country, I find on most of the races I do here in So. Cal, that this bike kicks ass. Most of my competitor's are racing 29ers handrails, but I give up nothing to them in climbing and drop them on the downhills.
    BTW, I race the cat 1 50+

  9. #9
    mnoutain bkie rdier
    Reputation: rydbyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by southacres View Post
    I demoed a Giant Anthem Advance 27.5 a couple of weekends ago. I loved it. If you can get your hands on one to try, I'd highly recommend it. It was fast, maneuverable, and had a balanced geometry for xc racing. I ride a Turner Flux 26" now and it's one of the few bikes I like better. I wish Turner would put out a carbon 27.5 (the 29er Czar gets killer reviews though). Maybe next spring?? Or maybe Pivot updates their Mach 4 into a mid-wheel racing machine.
    Yes. Agreed. A Pivot in a FS 27.5 sounds great!

  10. #10
    Registered Dietitian
    Reputation: tommyrod74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    1,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    I too, race a converted Santa Cruz Blur XCc for cross country, I find on most of the races I do here in So. Cal, that this bike kicks ass. Most of my competitor's are racing 29ers handrails, but I give up nothing to them in climbing and drop them on the downhills.
    BTW, I race the cat 1 50+
    Ditto. Pro/Elite here in the Southeast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best FS 27.5 XC race machine-image.jpg  


  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velosprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
    Ditto. Pro/Elite here in the Southeast.

    Awesome!!! How did you "shim" the rear shock to fit the 27.5" wheel? I've a 2012, and I want to try the wheelsize. I can't find any details on how to "shim" the fork.

  12. #12
    Registered Dietitian
    Reputation: tommyrod74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    1,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Velosprocket View Post
    Awesome!!! How did you "shim" the rear shock to fit the 27.5" wheel? I've a 2012, and I want to try the wheelsize. I can't find any details on how to "shim" the fork.
    I didn't shim anything. 2.25 Racing Ralph fits just fine, no seat tube contact even under hard impacts (though it could happen in theory). Fork has plenty of clearance as well.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velosprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
    I didn't shim anything. 2.25 Racing Ralph fits just fine, no seat tube contact even under hard impacts (though it could happen in theory). Fork has plenty of clearance as well.
    That's good news, I'm gonna demo a set. Hopefully this weekend.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,232
    Didn't shim mine either( 2012 SC Blur XCc, large) even ran a piece of painter's blue tape on the front. derailluer cable stop for a month or so to check to see if there was any contact, none was detected. Using the 2.25 RR' s, I have plenty of clearance, also no problems using my 120mm Fox fork. I highly recommend the conversion, it makes a great bike even better and since SC doesn't yet have a fs xc 27.5 bike yet, the conversion is well worth it, couldn't say a dedicated 27.5 xc bike would b e better anyways.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,560
    I had to shim mine. 2012 large frame, Pacenti TL28 rim with Neo Moto 2.1 and Racing Ralph 2.25 had contact when all air was let out of canister and full body weight pushed on saddle while in garage. About 5mm travel reduction. Have Crossmark on now but didn't bother checking if shims needed. Fork is 2013 Fox Float 32 RLC 120. Tons of clearance with every tire on a Crest or Pacenti TL28.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velosprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Didn't shim mine either( 2012 SC Blur XCc, large) even ran a piece of painter's blue tape on the front. derailluer cable stop for a month or so to check to see if there was any contact, none was detected. Using the 2.25 RR' s, I have plenty of clearance, also no problems using my 120mm Fox fork. I highly recommend the conversion, it makes a great bike even better and since SC doesn't yet have a fs xc 27.5 bike yet, the conversion is well worth it, couldn't say a dedicated 27.5 xc bike would b e better anyways.
    Thanks. I'm in the same boat. Not ready to go all in on another wheel size. I tried a 29er for a couple years, but switched back to 26" last summer. The 29er was for sure NOT for me!


  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velosprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I had to shim mine. 2012 large frame, Pacenti TL28 rim with Neo Moto 2.1 and Racing Ralph 2.25 had contact when all air was let out of canister and full body weight pushed on saddle while in garage. About 5mm travel reduction. Have Crossmark on now but didn't bother checking if shims needed. Fork is 2013 Fox Float 32 RLC 120. Tons of clearance with every tire on a Crest or Pacenti TL28.

    Where, and how did you shim? Any chance you can post a pic of the shim?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,560
    Plastic 10mm ID (inside diameter) washers from hardware store, cut and slid over rear shock shaft. I paid about 35 cents each.

    Deflate rear shock. Open canister with hand, pop back canister body, place cut shims over shock shaft and close canister back up by hand. Compress shock to see if rear tire rubs. Add shims until there is no contact. As stated you may not need a shim. Inflate rear shock back to proper psi for proper sag.

    Like this: http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/shi...0b-810749.html

  19. #19
    I'd rather be riding
    Reputation: zippinveedub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    638
    This thread has given me the itch to build a Blur. The only issue is that I'm 6'2" and I wonder if I should stay with big wheels even in full suspension form. My superfly fit's so much better than any of my 26er's...decisions decisions.

  20. #20
    Team Awesome
    Reputation: playpunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    939
    Man, now I want a blur XCc with 650b wheels...

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: VICpt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    134

    Best FS 27.5 XC race machine

    The Scalpel, no issues on the conversion.
    We ( the ones that made the conversion), gained a much better bike.
    Last edited by VICpt; 09-15-2013 at 10:19 AM.

  22. #22
    mnoutain bkie rdier
    Reputation: rydbyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by VICpt View Post
    The Scalpel, no issues on the conversion.
    We ( the ones that made the conversion), gain a much better bike.
    Pics please!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: VICpt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    134
    Here they are:







    My previous bike was a SC Blur, it was wonderful, one of the best bikes out there.

  24. #24
    mnoutain bkie rdier
    Reputation: rydbyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by VICpt View Post
    The Scalpel, no issues on the conversion.
    We ( the ones that made the conversion), gained a much better bike.
    Is that frame a 26er or 29er? I had no idea they made a 26" version.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: VICpt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    134
    Itīs a 26", we had them in Europe until last year. I think that this year there were only 29" everywhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. my 2013 enduro race machine: SantaCruz Bronson C
    By chillindrdude in forum 27.5 - 650b
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-20-2013, 07:02 AM
  2. Ream headset race or machine fork?
    By mravery in forum Frame Building
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-01-2013, 02:21 PM
  3. New Race Machine
    By codytaylor in forum 27.5 - 650b
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 10-06-2012, 12:53 AM
  4. New AM machine
    By DWill in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-10-2012, 05:31 PM
  5. if you could build your ultimate race machine...
    By IronXterra12 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-27-2011, 01:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •