Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LA CHÈVRE

New question here. Best bottle cage

Last race I did (Mont Sainte-Anne), I lost my bottle about 3 or 4 times in one lap. My cage (Topeak Shuttle CF) is useless on a mountain bike so it now sits on the road bike and I need to get another one that will handle rocky and rooty trails. Any recommendations?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    I use a cheap 2.5$ water bottle cage. works fine ..

mtbr member

cheap works fine

I see water bottles on the race course every time. Just get one of the regular cheap aluminum ones and be sure to bend it in so it hugs your bottle tight. Check it before every race and bend it in if it aint holding the bottle tight. Haven't lost a bottle yet!

LA CHÈVRE
    Yeah, I have three cages and they are either carbon or plastic, can't be bent like a metal one so I'll probably just get whatever metal cage my LBS has. Thanks...

mtbr member
    The Cateye plastic bottle cage holds real well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Most cages are meant for the standard sized bottle, that's why some are made in a way where they can't be stretched or pushed in. While they might be perfect for the ss bottle, they just suck if you have something else. I just hate it when things rattle and bounce out of the "solid" cage on my bike, that's why I keep the ss bottle in the front cage and normal water bottles I don't care about in the vertical one.
    I wont get rid of it because I do use it at times, and I wont replace it because it looks nice, and nice looking ones are more expensive (mine came with the bike.)

Live Free or Ride!
    I use 2 Serfac CC1 Cirque Cabon Cages. Never had a problem. But i do see water bottels at races constantly.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

part-time human
    Mar 2006
    King Cage Ti (made in Durango, CO) are one of the best out there. See www.kingcage.com for more info. Since I switched to those I haven't lost a bottle yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    King Ti Cages are definitely one of my favorites as well as Bontrager Race Lite Cages, haven't loss a bottle out of either cage. Bonus is that the race lite cages come in different colors.

fella
    +1 for King Ti.
    Zero problems ever, including the TransAlp - lots of fast and gnarly sections there.
    member of the World Conspiracy against Paranoia

mtbr member
    I have used the Specialized rib cage with success. Not the newer ond but the beefier one with the bigger rubber band. And the bands can be replaced if they start to stretch too much.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Wouldn't it be cool if there were cages that could hold co2 cartridges?

mtbr member
    It's a little pricey compared to other ALU/steel designs, but I've found the Salsa Nickless cage to be awesome. Our trails are rocky and rooty and I've never lost a bottle.

Jason

I love Pisgah
    +2 on the King ti. Have yet to lose a bottle since 03. As light as carbon cages but waaaaay more reliable for mtb use.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've been using carbon Arundel's for 4 years and haven't lost a bottle, yet. They're awesome!

Otherwise, I agree the King ti cages are awesome.
    required disclaimer: I'm a bike shop girl.

FasCat Coaching
    King Ti Cages are the best

Though I've used the Bonty Race Lites and they work great also
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

LA CHÈVRE
    Thanks everyone, you confirmed what I thought, I just ordered a King Ti... To offset the cost, it should last for my next 27 bikes!

Ride Everything
    King Ti FTW.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    I have been using King cages for the past 7 years and they are sweet. I have just been using the stainless ones not the ti ones but they hold the bottle really well and last well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ya i agree, king cage now makes a $60 ti cage, at 28g. it's light and grips well

Illuminati
    i've worn thru a king ti cage, IE taken the bottle in & out so many times its worn thru the titanium tube (i've had it since 1999). i've never lost a bottle with one, i'm about to try one in the horizontal underside of toptube position as thats the only bottle placement on the bike. if it holds it in this position I'll be shouting with joy from the rooftops as so far no other cage has despite bending the crap outta them.
    i cant recommend the stainless king in the same way as i've had a few snap without warning on fast & rough DHs

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Another vote for Ti King Cage. Not a lost cage since, and no need to rebend mind the alum versions. AND light!

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    King ti here too. Robbed one of my Arundel cages from the road bike and tried it. Didn't like it as it seemed to be a little tougher to get the bottle back in compared to the King cage. It went back onto the road bike and the King stayed on the mtb.

Huge Bike Guy Person Man
    May 2008
    whatever you guys do, DO NOT buy the bontrager side swipes. worst cage ever? possibly. hopping off a 5 inch curb at 10mph has seen me lose bottles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I was looking quite some time for usable carbon holder and on the end I gave up and agaim ended with "normal" aluminium Elite cage. It costs about 10 times less then carbon holders, and in 20 years I never lost any of my bottles (today I use 2 0.75l bottles). Not to mention lifetime of this kind of cage or some fancy carbon cage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast