mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Best on the bike drink?

I have been using gatorade (readily available and inexpensive)

Considering changing to Cytomax or Vitalyte

Any input?

DFMBA.org

Re: Best on the bike drink?

I use the Camelback fizzy tabs. Lemon lime.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have stomach issues and have tried a variety of products. Current favorite is EFS Grape.

mtbr member
    For use during rides I really like Maximuscle Viper (orange flavour). It goes down easily. I've tried other energy drinks from time to time (High 5, Torq Energy etc) but the Maximuscle Viper is easily my favourite for both taste and perceived results.

The ingredients are listed here:

http://www.maxishop.com/download.asp...rint071211.pdf

mtbr member

Best on the bike drink?

If I use Gatorade I dilute it at least 50% and usually only use it if I forget and need to pick up a drink on the way to the trail.

I used CarboRocket for a while, then it seemed to not agree with my stomach while racing. I have not tried the half evil.

Heed is OK, but I find I am more prone to cramping when I drink it. I cannot stand perpetium.

I have been using Gu Roctane lately and have not had issues. The fizzy electrolyte tabs are pretty good as well, but not calories.

I think drinks are like saddles and everybody has a favorite and there is no universal item.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Water. Watered down gatorade for racing and 4+ hour rides
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Rogue Exterminator
    Beer
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Beer
    Dont you mean Bacon-Beer? :P
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Dont you mean Bacon-Beer? :P
    Bacon is my energy bar.
    Beer is my hydration.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Water.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

A bit stronger than stock gatorade. Powdered. I never use the premade. They changed the formula for the premade about 15 years ago. It's just high-fructose corn syrup now. The powdered is still an athletic drink. Just sucrose and dextrose, no fructose. That and water. I tried EFS, seems to make me burp, and the sticky mouth is worse. I might even sprinkle about 1/2 tsp of whey protein powder in a bottle too sometimes.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I put in some of the GSeries Powder into my water for races. Works great for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Gatorade powder, I usually mix it full strength or a little stronger, then50/50 th at with water in the camelbak......full strength Gatorade makes me feel bloated and gives an uneasy feeling.......if I need a ton of electrolytes I'll pack 2 bottles of full strength as well for those 90% humidity days Herr e

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I use Skratch Labs drink mix. It mostly electrolytes and has a lighter taste and flavor. Heed and Gu Brew are ok but are much heavier taste. Cytomax is good after about 30 min into a ride but any earlier and it was harsh on my stomach.

mtbr member
    Water!!!
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drider85 View Post
    I use Skratch Labs drink mix. It mostly electrolytes and has a lighter taste and flavor. Heed and Gu Brew are ok but are much heavier taste. Cytomax is good after about 30 min into a ride but any earlier and it was harsh on my stomach.
    +1 for Skratch Labs!

mtbr member
    Water......

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post
    Water......
    I am with you guys on water for moderate rides - but race pace, water tends to slosh around in my stomach compared to gatorade, water tastes worse to if it gets warm in plastic bottle

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    I use the Camelback fizzy tabs. Lemon lime.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    I have never seen these. Where do you buy them from?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    I have never seen these. Where do you buy them from?
    CamelBak Elixir 12 Tablet Tube

I've been using Infinit drink mix, and also their napalm gel.

mtbr member
    Water and my fav.food would be a banana. I think a lot of people go overboard with eating and drinking too many calories on their rides.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73 View Post
    +1 for Skratch Labs!
    +2 for Skratch.

I've tried too many to list and Skratch has been the one that works for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I used GU Roctane last year ( i went through 7 24 serving containers between racing and training). I am planning on using it again this year. Easy on my gut, subtle taste, mixes well, and great for performance IMO.

mtbr member
    I use Hammer HEED for normal rides and their Perpetuem mix if I'm out to kill myself with a really long ride. Love the light flavoring and even riding my butt off in the southern summer heat it still sits well on my stomach.

mtbr member
    Half green tea, half orange juice, table sugar, table salt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I was using Clif powdered mix, and I loved the taste (cran-razz) but someone pointed to me one day that it's a lot of sugar. So I decided to try strawberry Heed... I have to choke it down, definitely not keen on the taste. Lemon-lime was slightly better, but still not a fan. I'm thinking of either going back to Clif (never had cramping or other issues with it), or going to REI and picking up a bunch of single serving samples of different brands/flavors. I figure there's no point in using something that I cannot stand the taste of...

I do like the Hammer Fizz tablets in grape flavor!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    I was using Clif powdered mix, and I loved the taste (cran-razz) but someone pointed to me one day that it's a lot of sugar. So I decided to try strawberry Heed... I have to choke it down, definitely not keen on the taste. Lemon-lime was slightly better, but still not a fan. I'm thinking of either going back to Clif (never had cramping or other issues with it), or going to REI and picking up a bunch of single serving samples of different brands/flavors. I figure there's no point in using something that I cannot stand the taste of...

I do like the Hammer Fizz tablets in grape flavor!
    Of course the entire reason for drinking something like that would be specifically for the sugar, so it's hard to register that as a criticism...

If the ride you're going on is short enough that you don't need the calories for fueling, then you probably don't need the electrolytes either and your best bet at that point would just be water.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Water and my fav.food would be a banana. I think a lot of people go overboard with eating and drinking too many calories on their rides.
    I swore off bananas as a riding food after a club run in the early 1990s. With this club it was traditional for the entire club to always sprint for every place name sign passed along the route. On this particular club run there was a long downhill sprint to a place name sign. I had several large bananas in my jersey pockets as food. During the out of the saddle downhill sprint all the bananas in my jersey pockets fell out on the road. I stopped and picked them up, but they were pulped and inedible after bouncing down the road at speed.

After having to do the rest of the ride with no food I resolved to make sure I carried food that I wouldn't drop in future.

mtbr member

Best on the bike drink?

Amino-vital

mtbr member
    Skratch. Best stuff ever.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    For what:
    Mellow rides?
    Fast training rides for endurance?
    XC race pace training rides?

It depends really. Mellow = water for me.

Longer endurance = Skratch labs. Not good for XC racing, as the calories are just not there and the expectation with Skratch is that you EAT food to get calories...not the best for a race scenario

GU brew for XC racing...

Big Damn Hero
    HEED for anything under 3 hours... Perpetuem for anything over 3 hours.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    Of course the entire reason for drinking something like that would be specifically for the sugar, so it's hard to register that as a criticism...

If the ride you're going on is short enough that you don't need the calories for fueling, then you probably don't need the electrolytes either and your best bet at that point would just be water.
    Well, you know, some people get all weirded out by sugar :P

I just reordered Clif. I need something I can actually swallow (and know I can as I've raced with it before) and works for me. Though I did go get a bunch of various samples of stuff to try out for fun. I'm just such a huge taste person, it makes it or breaks it for me.

Shut up and ride
    Hammer HEED for normal rides

add Hammer Perpetuem if its a long race or ride.

Arrrghhh!!!
    Carborocket is perfect for me-- I've used cytomax, poweraid, HEED and others, and they are all pretty good. HEED was the most finicky on the guts, and I found that it upset my stomach on rides over two hours. Also, I couldn't use other products with HEED without feeling my guts roll.
    I've been using Carborocket and Half-evil for the past year and it has been great. Easy on the stomach, no cramping and lots of energy. Good ingredients too.
    I haven't used Skratch, but I respect the folks who make it and think the ingredients can't be beat. I need more in the way of nutrition and electrolytes, though, and will stick with CR.

Try a few and see how you do. Good luck!
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus044 View Post
    I use Hammer HEED for normal rides and their Perpetuem mix if I'm out to kill myself with a really long ride. Love the light flavoring and even riding my butt off in the southern summer heat it still sits well on my stomach.
    I like the Hammer products as well. Anything less than 2 hours for a training ride and I don't really worry about it. But longer intense rides or races, I will add some HEED for up to 3 hours. 3 hours or more and I do like the Perpetuem which my stomach tolerates really well. Today was 4 hours and I used Perpetuem and stopped for a Snicker's Bar with almonds midway for variety.

mtbr member
    Try Osmo, it works great!

bikerbert

Best on the bike drink?

+1 on Osmo, nuun works well for me too.

mtbr member
    Hammer Heed...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm a Skratch labs die hard. I love it. I can drink it for hours and get ZERO stomach issues, etc. If you understand their philosophy (hydration in the bottle, food in your pocket. It's hard to get effective long term nutrition by 'drinking' your food), it really makes sense.

For races under 3 hours, Skratch and maybe a gel or some gu chomps work perfect. When you get into longer rides/races then you have to start eating. That can be things like rice cakes or portables (check out the Skratch Labs cookbooks, they are awesome) or small sandwiches, etc. Things like Hammer Perpetuem works well for some people long term, but I prefer eating actual food in small portions.

You just have to try different things and decide what works best for you. One solution doesn't work well for everyone. I started out years ago using Gatorade (as most beginners do), moved to Hammer products and had good success but found the taste a little lacking, moved to Skratch and now am super happy. Don't be afraid to switch things up and experiment.