mtbr member
    May 2008

New question here. Benefits of O2 Trainer...

Anyone out there training with an O2 mask?

If so, when you started using it did you see an improvement in endurance/speed/breathing? How often do you use it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Unless you have an elaborate snorkel system delivering air with a lower percentage of oxygen to simulate the physics of high altitude, then it's not "altitude training." Even then altitude training gets mixed reviews with the last meta-review I saw saying it isn't meaningfully better.

What it does do is provide some resistance to your diaphram. Which might, or might not help. I haven't looked up exercise-related research on that topic.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah I know some guys that use it in other training situations who say it does help their performance...

I think the purpose is to raise VO2 Max by strengthening the muscles related to breathing? I did a little googling, and it's popular with the anaerobic types (MMA fighters, etc.). I'm wondering if it's of any value to me since I do a ton of riding and if anything I probably need to develop the slow twitch muscles before I try to get better lungs.

I'm hoping to hear from other bikers (road or mountain) who have used this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jlockie View Post
    Anyone out there training with an O2 mask?

If so, when you started using it did you see an improvement in endurance/speed/breathing? How often do you use it?
    You would not see a benefit, you make less power at altitude. There are no specific scientific studies stated to back O2 mask.

Per Joe Friel Joe Friel - Questions About Altitude. Answer: It hurts!
    Q. Why is riding at altitude so difficult? Physiologically speaking, what happens to the body?

A. Oxygen delivery to the muscles is reduced at altitude. This means that the athlete’s aerobic capacity (VO2max) will decline as altitude increases. There are only three physical attributes that define endurance “fitness” and VO2max is one of them. The research suggests something like a decrease of about 2% for every 1000 feet (~300m) of altitude gain for someone who is not adapted. Many of the Colorado passes are above 10,000 feet (~3030m). So compared with sea level, the athlete’s VO2max could decrease about 20% by the top of one of these climbs. That’s huge!