Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BB30 or GXP

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

BB30 or GXP

So I am looking to pick up a new XC hardtail frame. My LBS carries Specialized and Giant. So its between the Stumpjumper or XTC Advanced. I think the specialized is about 100 bucks more. Question is and I know its been heavily debated, the spec has the press fit BB and the giant does not. Is the press fit BB worth it? is there a viable reason to go with a frame that has the pressfit BB vs. GXP.

AZ
    banned
    In my view it is a toss up . You are not going to go wrong with either . Giant might be easier to service and get parts for though .

mtbr member
    I'd buy the Giant because it looks awesome and I think it's a better frame than Specialized.
    If you go with Specialized get Lightning or possibly Hollowgram cranks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by limba
    I'd buy the Giant because it looks awesome and I think it's a better frame than Specialized.If you go with Specialized get Lightning or possibly Hollowgram cranks.
    In what way? I have searched for anything giving either frame an edge. Locally you cant throw a rock without hitting an sworks hardtail, yet the giant frame is few an far between.

AZ
    banned
    I'd buy the Giant because it looks awesome and I think it's a better frame than Specialized.
    If you go with Specialized get Lightning or possibly Hollowgram cranks.

I would be interested to hear what makes the Specialized a better frame , it might be helpfull in my search for a new hartail .

General industry guy
    Sep 2009
    In my experience with Specialized - and top-end racers racing Specialized - the BB30 with the Specialized crankset is less than great. The racers found the Specialized cranks flexy - enough that even despite our sponsorship obligations, some of the racers switched to XTR cranks, using BB30 adapters. I found the Specialized BB30 bottom brackets to be highly susceptible to wear and mud especially - one race in particular destroyed a brand-new set of BB bearings.

I like both the Specialized and Giant frames - but if I bought the Specialized, I'd swap the cranks. Also, if that bike is coming with the Specialized fork, look into a Fox - while my team's forks held up well last year, I sure saw a lot of them that didn't on other racer's bikes.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmf102
    In what way? I have searched for anything giving either frame an edge. Locally you cant throw a rock without hitting an sworks hardtail, yet the giant frame is few an far between.
    There's another thread about BB30 cross bikes being not so great in the mud. I have no personal experience with BB30 so I can't comment.
    The Giant XTC always gets great reviews. I would say the XTC and the Scott Scale are the top carbon hardtails of the last few years. Specialized reviews always seem to go something like "great bike but..." "I love this bike but..."
    Both frames are nice but I would buy the Giant based on it's history and it's looks. I would buy the Giant even if it was 100 more than the Specialized and it's 100 bucks less. Easy choice for me.

AZ
    banned
    There's another thread about BB30 cross bikes being not so great in the mud. I have no personal experience with BB30 so I can't comment.
    The Giant XTC always gets great reviews. I would say the XTC and the Scott Scale are the top carbon hardtails of the last few years. Specialized reviews always seem to go something like "great bike but..." "I love this bike but..."
    Both frames are nice but I would buy the Giant based on it's history and it's looks. I would buy the Giant even if it was 100 more than the Specialized and it's 100 bucks less. Easy choice for me.

Have you ridden either of these bikes?

mtbr member
    I've ridden the old 2007 XTC. The new one is supposed to be lighter and stronger. A friend of mine owns a bike shop. The owner and his son raced XTC bikes and they loved them. The son switched to full suspension last year and now he's on a Niner. He can get whatever he wants. Another friend of mine has an old S-Works and sold it for a Rocky Mountain. I'm not saying I'm an expert of either frame or any frame for that matter. I have read a lot of reviews though and I hardly ever see complaints about Giants.
    I'm currently looking at the Cannondale Flash, S-Works Stumpjumper, Rocky Vertex, and Felt Six. If the XTC came as a complete bike i would have ordered it already. I'm sure either bike will kick ass but I would buy the Giant.

g3h6o3
    I seriously dislike Truvativ cranks, so I'd advice against them. But if the debate is BB30 vs. external, it's another question competely!

Looking at Giant's website, the XTC Advanced comes with an XT crank... Unless you're elsewhere in the world.

And there's more to this debate than the BB standard...
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyDurango
    In my experience with Specialized - and top-end racers racing Specialized - the BB30 with the Specialized crankset is less than great. The racers found the Specialized cranks flexy - enough that even despite our sponsorship obligations, some of the racers switched to XTR cranks, using BB30 adapters. I found the Specialized BB30 bottom brackets to be highly susceptible to wear and mud especially - one race in particular destroyed a brand-new set of BB bearings.

I like both the Specialized and Giant frames - but if I bought the Specialized, I'd swap the cranks. Also, if that bike is coming with the Specialized fork, look into a Fox - while my team's forks held up well last year, I sure saw a lot of them that didn't on other racer's bikes.
    i don't share these sentiments.

i love my Sworks cranks and the BB bearings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    I seriously dislike Truvativ cranks, so I'd advice against them. But if the debate is BB30 vs. external, it's another question competely!

Looking at Giant's website, the XTC Advanced comes with an XT crank... Unless you're elsewhere in the world.

And there's more to this debate than the BB standard...
    My question was more directed towards press fit bearings vs. external, not nessesarily a particular brand. my LBS carries spec and giant and would like my business to stay with them. otherwise i would have gone with a rocky mountain or scott

Sissy Pants FTW Moderator
    My question was more directed towards press fit bearings vs. external, not nessesarily a particular brand.
    GXP is a crank/spindle attachment method that is specific to Truvativ/SRAM, which also renders their external BB cups incompatible with the more common x-type standard used by several of the other manufacturers including Shimano, Race Face, FSA, etc. That's where you have confused the issue, although I now understand that you intended to refer to external BB cups in the more general sense.

g3h6o3
    My question was more directed towards press fit bearings vs. external, not nessesarily a particular brand. my LBS carries spec and giant and would like my business to stay with them. otherwise i would have gone with a rocky mountain or scott
    In theory, BB30 should be more durable because of the bigger diameter of the axle and the bigger balls in the bearings. You also end up with a lighter system as there is no cups and since it's all pressed inside the frame, you have a smaller Q-factor and narrower chainline.

I haven't tried any BB30 yet though, that's why I mentioned "in theory". They seem to be more and more frames in the BB30 flavor and I'm pretty sure it will end up being the new standard. Also remember that if you prefer the external BBs, you can still use an adapter in a BB30 shell and get the same result.

As for the Spec vs. Giant debate, it has nothing to do with BB standards so I'd say you're messing things up. Giant could use BB30 (they don't offer any yet I think), some Spec use external BB...

I would also add that limiting yourself to 2 bike manufacturers is seriously limiting your options. If your bike shop doesn't offer what you want, then go somewhere else! If you ask me, Niner's CYA bottom bracket is the future! With adapters it fits anything from eccentric to square taper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So I am looking to pick up a new XC hardtail frame. My LBS carries Specialized and Giant. So its between the Stumpjumper or XTC Advanced. I think the specialized is about 100 bucks more. Question is and I know its been heavily debated, the spec has the press fit BB and the giant does not. Is the press fit BB worth it? is there a viable reason to go with a frame that has the pressfit BB vs. GXP.
    You do know that Pressfit BB30 is not the same as standard BB30.

http://www.sram.com/en/truvativ/bott...kets/index.php

Pressfit BB30 are bearings housed in press in cups and presses in like a headset while standard BB30 are bearings that press into the bottom bracket shell and mate up against C-clips that are inside the shell. They are two different animals. The pressfit BB30 seems to be much less accesible to contamination.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    the way look at it with all the options out there you cant go wrong with any of the carbon hartail offerings. When i am sitting on the line i am not going to be afraid that the guy next to me on a scott scale, or vertex is going to beat me cause i am on a xtc or stumpy. I really like my LBS and would like to support them. Clearly i need to further educate myself on the different BB options. ultimately i like the giant but didnt want to short myself if the newer BB offerings were significant and/or worth it.

mtbr member
    Any frame can break but you might want to have a look at this thread and see what happens.
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...hp?f=1&t=64915

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST
    You do know that Pressfit BB30 is not the same as standard BB30.

http://www.sram.com/en/truvativ/bott...kets/index.php

Pressfit BB30 are bearings housed in press in cups and presses in like a headset while standard BB30 are bearings that press into the bottom bracket shell and mate up against C-clips that are inside the shell. They are two different animals. The pressfit BB30 seems to be much less accesible to contamination.
    Maybe less accessible to contamination but the bearing balls have to be smaller since the cups take some place. Same inner diameter, different outer diameter. Which means they can't take as big of a load as BB30, again, in theory! I would prefer BB30.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Maybe less accessible to contamination but the bearing balls have to be smaller since the cups take some place. Same inner diameter, different outer diameter. Which means they can't take as big of a load as BB30, again, in theory! I would prefer BB30.
    You're right in regards to load bearing. But this can also be handled by increasing the number of balls even though they are a smaller diameter. It's probably a horse-a-piece. Anyway I've got a Sram XX crankset on order and am going with the BB30 pressfit. It's just less complicated. Also the standard version is only $40. Ceramic is around $200. Problem is that at this point of time I can't find neither anywhere. My shop has had it on back order for several weeks now and the distributer is saying a few more weeks yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Actually if you click on the pic. for the different BB30 options in the link it shows that they both have the same bearing size.

g3h6o3
    You're right. It's either a mistake or I'm confused. They have the same BB shell, right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You're right. It's either a mistake or I'm confused. They have the same BB shell, right?
    Standard BB30 is 41.96mm while the pressfit is 40mm. Now I'm confused as well?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST
    Standard BB30 is 41.96mm while the pressfit is 40mm. Now I'm confused as well?
    screw it, i'll get the giant

g3h6o3
    All the explanations here : http://www.parktool.com/repair/readc...ner.asp?id=231

Pressfit30 is 46mm, BB30 is roughly 42 (41.96)

Makes sense! Are you sure you got the right BB for your frame? From Park : "At time of publication of this article, I am unaware of any bikes made with this standard."

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    All the explanations here : http://www.parktool.com/repair/readc...ner.asp?id=231

Pressfit30 is 46mm, BB30 is roughly 42 (41.96)

Makes sense! Are you sure you got the right BB for your frame? From Park : "At time of publication of this article, I am unaware of any bikes made with this standard."
    You're right. I misread that. So it does make sense then. This is a custom frame being built to the spec.'s to accept the PressFit BB30. Frame builder has the spec.'s from Sram.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast