mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Base training during race season?

I'm pretty far behind on my training this season due to an injury. Most of the training schedules I've seen have a transition from a lot of base training to very little and everyone seems to emphasize base during the winter. I'm wondering if I mix in base training days with other days if that will somehow make it less effective or something.

mtbr member
    I've been reading a lot lately about the benefits of LSD with the introduction of intensity early in the peace. So I see no reason why you couldn't be doing "base" during the race season to top it off. How serious you are about it will depend on when you want your season to peak I guess.

In Australia we have no real off season, a bulk of the endurance series, marathons, etc... run though Fall / Winter / Spring where as traditional XC series runs though Spring / Summer / Fall, for the most part you tend to see all of the competitors at both series.
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It depends. How many hours/days a week do you have available?

I either do links below during in/off season OR MTB rides year round - but, I do not put that many hours/days in a week though
    Sweet Spot Part Deux | FasCat Coaching :: Cycling Coach for all Cyclists

See #2 below
    Peaks Coaching: Take Your Performance to the Next Level

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Man that gives me a headache Just ride your bike and have fun. No reason to get too wound unless you are a pro.

Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    It depends. How many hours/days a week do you have available?

I either do links below during in/off season OR MTB rides year round - but, I do not put that many hours/days in a week though
    Sweet Spot Part Deux | FasCat Coaching :: Cycling Coach for all Cyclists

See #2 below
    Peaks Coaching: Take Your Performance to the Next Level

mtbr member
    I'd say go back to base training and be sure to give yourself a nice volume bump. Ride consistently and try to get 1.5-3 hours each day. Doesn't have to be hard, just a good solid aerobic pace.

Last year I had good success during cross season after HS mountain bike season ended by picking up the volume. I coached the kids for 3 months prior to cross and even though we did intervals and rode regularly, my overall volume dropped and my performance along with it.

I picked up the volume (at the start of cross) and really did no intervals (some tempo work between stop lights during home commute), I went up the standings each cross race. First 16th, then 8th, then 6th, 4th, 4th, then finally 2nd (podium), and 4th.

My experience is starting to match up with this post:
    Intervals waste of time?
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Man that gives me a headache
    Sorry to give you a headache Litany - Oh wait a second - you are not Litany....

Great advice Jaybo...

Registered Dietitian
    Man that gives me a headache Just ride your bike and have fun. No reason to get too wound unless you are a pro.
    Oddly enough, there are racers who aren't pro/elite but still want to improve. For some people, competition isn't stress, it's fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
    Oddly enough, there are racers who aren't pro/elite but still want to improve. For some people, competition isn't stress, it's fun.
    +1.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    A lot of those folks end up being Cat II pack fillers who miss out on a lot of fun worrying about training formula's and nutritional plans. Okay. whatever....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm finally able to ride again without having my injury holding me back so I'm pretty happy. I did 2hrs and 40mins today without any problems.

I have a lot more fun when I'm able to go faster. Being in better shape especially helps when I go to altitude (such as Tahoe where the riding is 6-10k feet) to actually have fun and not just suffer and go slowly. Plus racing is fun.

Registered Dietitian
    A lot of those folks end up being Cat II pack fillers who miss out on a lot of fun worrying about training formula's and nutritional plans. Okay. whatever....
    What part of "for some people, competition isn't stress, it's fun" was unclear?

You are on a message board titled "XC Racing and Training".

Perhaps you should start one called "XC Racing - But Just For Fun and I Don't Care How I Finish Because I'm Not A Pro Anyway - And The Guys Winning My Races Are All Sandbaggers So Why Bother?"

mtbr member
    I too struggled a bit understanding that SST graph, but after seeing it for 5 years, it's pretty simple. The SST advocates are saying that this training intensity gives the best bang for buck.

SST is performed by riding for 0.5-3 hours at a pace of "7.5 out of 10" (PE). Per Hunter article, do SST (or a little harder) every other day with an easier spin on inbetween days.

Also, if your riding for X hours a week, do more to move up to next level (that's his #1 thing for improving; I agree).

Hunter also says do a 5-6 hour ride 2-3 times a month. Now that's a tough one to do. I only got one of those this year so far......3 times a month???? Wow.
    www.utahmtb.org

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I get ya, dog. How do you do with your training programs, nutritional plans, and intense focus? You are right though but I was at a race recently and some gun knocked me over to get to the front of a Cat freaking II race. He took off like a bullet on a Specialized 10k wonder machine only to have my butt catch him within 2 miles. Oh, and he would not move over attempting to block my path. I really enjoy guys like that! But I hear you on the training end of things...I probably outwork many guys on my rides.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
    What part of "for some people, competition isn't stress, it's fun" was unclear?

You are on a message board titled "XC Racing and Training".

Perhaps you should start one called "XC Racing - But Just For Fun and I Don't Care How I Finish Because I'm Not A Pro Anyway - And The Guys Winning My Races Are All Sandbaggers So Why Bother?"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Base training during race season?

Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post

Hunter also says do a 5-6 hour ride 2-3 times a month. Now that's a tough one to do. I only got one of those this year so far......3 times a month???? Wow.
    I think I'd die if I tried to do that on a mountain bike. The trails I typically ride that would be like 7.5k ft of climbing in 5 hours if I could keep up my 3 hour pace. Maybe on a road bike where I'd have to stop for lights constantly lol.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    This ONE thing helped me a lot this off season as mentioned in this Hunter Allen article

"Focus on doing longer intervals at or very near your functional threshold power (FTP)."

Hunter Allen Next Level Article
    Hunter Allen Peaks Coaching Group: December 2010

My off season
    Preparing for first MTB race of the season

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    This ONE thing helped me a lot this off season as mentioned in this Hunter Allen article

"Focus on doing longer intervals at or very near your functional threshold power (FTP)."

Hunter Allen Next Level Article
    Hunter Allen Peaks Coaching Group: December 2010

My off season
    Preparing for first MTB race of the season
    I hope that you can continue improvement since you started intensity so early. I'm seeing that the guys that did lots of winter threshold work and straight into hard group rides and races are fried right now (and getting worse). One dude that won a P-1-2 crit in a major regional stage race in March, just got popped off the back in 10 mins two weeks ago in a local crit.

After going through traditional base 1, 2, and 3 (3 weeks cycles for old guys), I just started LT work last week (for base 4). So I'm doing the Hunter LT approach somewhat, but not till after 3 good base periods (9 weeks). I've seen my threshold workouts go from a painful 250W, to a more comfortable 270W (4X10') by end of second week (getting used to it, getting a bit stronger; these are on flat roads by the way).

So gains are quick, but will probably plateau though. Of course will make intervals longer and fewer as we get stronger.

BTW, I've been doing LT intervals with a teammate which has been pretty fun. We'll do a 3-4 mile nonstop on flat road with a 50m stagger to each other. We try not to start too hard or you'll lose too much speed second half of TT. It works great since you have that carrot in front of you, and behind you in a sense (don't want to get passed up). Gotta stay aero and seated for highest speed though. For me, it results in power at upper threshold throughout the segment, something that would be very hard to do alone.

Next week we'll be doing 5-6 mile segments which should give 15 min of threshold work each. It's the next best thing to motor pacing.
    www.utahmtb.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    I hope that you can continue improvement since you started intensity so early
    Thanks Ponch - i understand what you are saying - Only on bike 3 days a week (4 hrs or so of total riding), so at least 48 hrs between hard rides.

Sounds like your season is being well planned out

Took one week off after CX season, then pretty much hit it hard (since mid-november...yikes!).

First race of season was a 13 mile off-road TT (1hr 2m). I was 6th fastest out of 54 (sport and expert).

Second race 15 mile sport CC - 7th fastest time out of 76 riders (1hr 26m).

It has been wet here in midwest so only my 5th and 6th time on mtb this season with these races.

I will be honest and let you know if I implode....