Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bar Ends?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Bar Ends?

Does anyone use bar-ends anymore for riding or racing? I don't see them much anymore and 10 years or so ago they were on almost every mountain bike, now I hardly seem them.

I'm asking because I"m attempting to get more serious about racing this year and I'm trying to determine if it is worth buying a pair or not. I'm unsure if they provide any increased control/handling while climbing and such. I'm not so much concerned with the fashion trend as if they look cool or not, rather trying to understand if they do help control or handle the bike better especially while climbing.

I had a pair on my old mountain bike years ago but wasn't serious enough of a rider to be able to tell a difference or not.

Also curious about Ergon grips. Anyone try those out?

Your Best Friend
    No on the bar ends. Yes on the Ergons for long endurance rides.

ups and downs
    They were quite popular with 550mm wide bars, the advent of wider bars in the 660-685mm range has reduced the need for bar ends for climbing leverage for XCO racing. The Ergon grips are more useful for a variety of hand positions in longer races.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I liked them, but I now don't have them on any of my bikes. I liked them for an alternate hand position to keep numbness out of my hands, but I've found if I just grab the ends of my bars/grips with my palms while climbing I get the same effect. Last time I used them I had cut them down to stubbies, with barely any forward bar. It is interesting how EVERYBODY used to have them, but nobody uses them anymore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i used the specialized bar ends, i found they were really good, very handy for climbing and it felt like they improved performance, but that was 3 years or so ago so i dont know what they're like now.

mtbr member
    For short (3 hour) XC races I don't bother with them. For ultras (6 or more hours) I will throw a pair on just for the extra hand positions on the sustained climbs. I ride Specialized Overendz now, but used to run the Singletrack Sollutions bar ends and loved them. I couldn't find them for a few years, but now can.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Use them all the time for sustained and/or hard climbing efforts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derkson91 View Post
    Does anyone use bar-ends anymore for riding or racing? I don't see them much anymore and 10 years or so ago they were on almost every mountain bike, now I hardly seem them.

I'm asking because I"m attempting to get more serious about racing this year and I'm trying to determine if it is worth buying a pair or not. I'm unsure if they provide any increased control/handling while climbing and such. I'm not so much concerned with the fashion trend as if they look cool or not, rather trying to understand if they do help control or handle the bike better especially while climbing.

I had a pair on my old mountain bike years ago but wasn't serious enough of a rider to be able to tell a difference or not.

Also curious about Ergon grips. Anyone try those out?
    You won't really know unless you run a pair of them. Find a relatively cheap set and give them a go. I personally like them for climbing.
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I can't imagine climbing out of the saddle without them. Plus they make it easy to flip your bike upside down to do maintence.

mtbr member
    While I'm not a fan of bar ends I could see the advantage of extra hand positions in long races or out trekking. My normal race isn't long enough for my hands to bother me, so I don't bother with them.
    But.....to each his own. I'm not gonna make fun of someone else for having bar ends. Ok, maybe a little.

mtbr member
    Does anyone find the larger palm area of an Ergon grip, such as a GS-1, can be used as a mini-end? Meaning, give you the "fingers outward" position that is so useful with a bar end. I really prefer a small bar end (2 finger), but, the GS series only has a 3 finger. I would like to know if i could get by without an end at all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    still using my 20yr old Onza barends

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Quote Originally Posted by RojoRacing53 View Post
    I can't imagine climbing out of the saddle without them. Plus they make it easy to flip your bike upside down to do maintence.
    I've been thinking of trying some for that reason. I've recently started standing and mashing bigger gears on climbs. I love putting down the power that way, but while standing my hands are close to my hips, and I feel like I'm having to stay more bent over than I'd like. I could raise the bars, but I'm very happy with my current bar height when I'm not mashing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I used bars ends for a while. tried big ones then tried and like the stubby ones.

then...meh, I took them off and never looked back.

they did help by giving me some other place to put my hands and that
    allows forearm and shoulders a bit of a break...but I discovered that if
    I can take one hand off and use it to squeeze my other forearm very
    hard and very quick...that does even more for 'partially rebooting' my
    forearm and I realized, bars ends were just added weight...

what sealed the 'no bars ends deal' was I entered a CX race with my mtb with bar ends and rules were: bars ends have to go. after that i never was compelled to put them on again.

if you like them, keep them.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Bar Ends?

Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    Does anyone find the larger palm area of an Ergon grip, such as a GS-1, can be used as a mini-end? Meaning, give you the "fingers outward" position that is so useful with a bar end. I really prefer a small bar end (2 finger), but, the GS series only has a 3 finger. I would like to know if i could get by without an end at all.
    For me: no, because I can't put my thumb in a comfortable position when I grab the Ergon grips in the way you describe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimv View Post
    For me: no, because I can't put my thumb in a comfortable position when I grab the Ergon grips in the way you describe.
    Thnx.

Thats what i was afraid of. I'm used to them on my SS and was wondering if i could get away from them for the geared bike. I don't think i can. The extra positions and grip force is worth it for the added weight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've used them for years, and will continue to do so.
    I just find they are so much better for climbing out of the saddle(I live in a valley with lots of steep hills) and I also like the added hand positions.

I used to rock super long ones, now I am using the Titec carbon ones, and they only add 110g to the bike(nothing) and they are really nice to have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steveohio View Post
    I've used them for years, and will continue to do so.
    I just find they are so much better for climbing out of the saddle(I live in a valley with lots of steep hills) and I also like the added hand positions.

I used to rock super long ones, now I am using the Titec carbon ones, and they only add 110g to the bike(nothing) and they are really nice to have.
    But...but,... do the pros run them??
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..

Trail Prospector
    No. Never have, and will likely not to ever try them.
    Have a hard enough time staying upright. And it's very scary to watch one get slammed,
    as they hook a sapling with one of their "antlers".
    YMMV - yet on tight singletrack they really svck sweddy ballz.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    No. Never have, and will likely not to ever try them.
    Have a hard enough time staying upright. And it's very scary to watch one get slammed,
    as they hook a sapling with one of their "antlers".
    YMMV - yet on tight singletrack they really svck sweddy ballz.
    In every single case where I have, or seen, a wipeout from hooking, the crash would have happened anyways.
    For a bar end to be able to hook onto something it would smash into your hand or handlebars anyways and if big enough, cause a crash.

on the flip side, because my ancient Onza barends curve inward, they have protected me from a few crashes/scrapes by pushing the branches out and away from my handlebars, course doesnt protect my elbow/upper arm from said brush scrapes.

mtbr member
    ^^^ this. The "hooking" situation would be the cause of 1 out of 100 crashes due to bars anyways. And i have had them protect my hand 9 out of 10 times. This excuse should really go away. Its a non to "struck by lightening" issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Ditto on the protecting the hands.
    I've never had any issues with them snagging brush or trees and I can't see how low the % chance of them possibly causing a crash would be.

Multiple hand and foot positions is awsome.

Trail Prospector
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    ^^^ this. The "hooking" situation would be the cause of 1 out of 100 crashes due to bars anyways. And i have had them protect my hand 9 out of 10 times. This excuse should really go away. Its a non to "struck by lightening" issue.
    No doubt, you are WAY better than I, or do not ride the tight & twisty.

The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have Ergons with the integrated stubby bar-ends on my gravel grinder. I also have longer bar-ends mounted inboard of the controls on that bike for more hand positions and getting narrow for aero. Looks a bit odd but it works really well for me. I had Ergons on my mountain bike for a little while but took them off because I didn't feel like I had as secure of a grasp as with regular grips.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    No doubt, you are WAY better than I, or do not ride the tight & twisty.

that's funny. yeah i do remember hooking crap in vegetable tunnels and when you do hook a bar end you wreck -really bad- vs 'I got this'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast