Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bar Ends?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Bar Ends?

I used to run bar ends on all my bikes back in the late 90's when they came stock on bikes but switched to riser bars when they became the standard. I am thinking about going back to a flat bar with bar ends on my race bike after seeing a few guys running them over the weeked at a race. What are the pros and cons of switching? I don't need the 1" of rise I am getting from my riser, I know I might add a small amount of weight but I am not concerned with that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    if you like 'em run 'em. I've seen carbon bar ends if you're worried about weight.

Helmetless Crasher
    Cons: style and weight

Pros: style, great leverage and power position when climbing out of the saddle, multiple hand positions available for extended XC

W/ the advent of FS, seated climbing became the norm. Standing and cranking/torquing a FS bike up a hill is quite inefficient. So the need for bar ends died with the popularity of FS bikes. Uber wide gullwing handlebars provide better leverage for seated climbing than a narrow xc bar w/ bar ends.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Im on a single speed equipped with fsa slk 620mm carbon bars and titec micro bar ends.
    The 620mm bars without the ends are worthless for extended climbs but with the bar ends it makes a huge difference. And I am always out of the saddle yankin on em.

The weight is also comparable to wider bars without ends.
    Niner carbon bar- 175g
    Fsa Slk 136g + ritchey wcs 65g= 201g

So 26g weight penalty with about 8 cm more "tree clearance" and multiple hand positions.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The race I just finished had some long but gental climbs, they were long enough that I was wishing for bar ends.

What is the thoughts on the 11 or 17 degree sweep on some of these flat bars? I think the norm was like 5 degree in the past.

By the way I just switched from a FS XC bike back to a hardtail for the first time in 5 years so I am re-learning how to ride a hardtail efficiently.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've run bar ends for several years now via the GX2's. They aren't the lightest bar ends around but the comfort keeps me riding longer. I've found that since I went to a hard tail this year I use them a lot more for climbing out of the saddle.

mtbr member
    I use them for seated climbing on my hardtail, they seem to help leverage a bit, also i think it is good to move about a bit, helping you core and back. Down side is if you catch one on a branch or sapling on a steep single track downhill!

mtbr member
    I LOVE my barends. I use them all the time. Put them back on your bike and decide for yourself what you think.

mnoutain bkie rdier

Ohhhhhhhhh noooooooooooo

go here for "opinions":

http://forums.mtbr.com/endurance-rac...ys-566274.html

IMO, those who rarely stand and climb will not see a huge benefit to bar ends. I stand quite a bit (got in habit from SS days and road biking) and hate the feel of climbing out of saddle w/o bar ends. When standing/climbing, w/o them, I feel like a t-rex on a bike

Nearly everyone I watch stand and climb w/o them looks like said t-rex..aka..awkward.

When standing on a climb on my road bike, I go to the hoods for this exact same reason

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by rydbyk; 09-27-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by richmondrider79 View Post
    What is the thoughts on the 11 or 17 degree sweep on some of these flat bars? I think the norm was like 5 degree in the past.
    The ends will be more succeptible to getting "hung-up" on things as, depending on the type of end, they may be slightly splayed-out on bars w/ that much sweep.

That is the only true "con" I can see to using ends (and that's only w/ a super wide swept-back bar). Otherwise, the added hand positions made available by them, alone, makes them desireable.

their absence is largely dictated by fashion, me thinks (but I happen to like the look of horns" on my bikes)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I like 'em too.

I went for a long ride yesterday on my new Stumpjumper HT and it's going to have to get bar ends. I need the variety of hand positions, especially when climbing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I would never ride a HT without bar ends. I have had them on my bikes since my first pair of Onza's back in early 90s. Along with the standard pro's, I have found a new one - they help with my tennis elbow.

On a side note, even though I don't use bar ends on a FS bike, I still climb out of saddle a lot. I love my Special Ed brain shock

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Got rid of the bar ends after changing from rigid to suspension fork. Don't like to stand so much now and just don't feel I need them anymore. Also much more space on the bar now for the hands.

mtbr member
    I used them in the 90s, went FS and got rid of them, also considering going back now that I'm a steady HT rider again.

I think the course has a lot to do with it, if there is no sustained climbing there is no point. However, I do find L-bends useful on flat road sections- I learn forward and get into a comfy aero position.

mtbr member
    its a fashion thing, I run shortie bar ends on FSA low riser bars, gives me great leverage on my hardtail, and hand relief.I read an article awhile back in MBT action and they inspired me to go back to bar ends, said they still are useful fro certain types of riding.

mtbr member
    One word: Sauser

If the top pro runs them, then you should.
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Early this year I wrote a short blog on the advantages or bar ends. Check it out!

alloycowboy

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

bar end on the Tallboy

Is it weird? I put a pair of bar ends on my Tallboy for the 24hr race this weekend at Conyer Horse park. I LOVE bar ends on all my HT SS and gears bikes. I haven't try it with the fs yet. We'll see. I love the different hand positions and the leverage when going up hill on the SS. I'm so used to it that climbing without bar ends feel really weird.
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have had 2 shoulder surgeries, each time I went through 6-8 weeks of physical therapy. If you have ever been through physical therapy with a shoulder injury you most likely did arm lifts with light weights and you did it so that your thumbs would be pointing up when your arms are out in front of you. The point is your shoulders, arms and hands are more natural in that position like you would be with bar ends. Had I had bar ends on my bike during one of my rides I most likely would not have injured it when I pulled up hard on the bars to come out of a ravine. Both my Orthopedic surgeon and physical therapist agree that bar ends are good to have.
    Still learning how to keep the rubber side down.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by snellvilleGAbiker View Post
    Is it weird? I put a pair of bar ends on my Tallboy for the 24hr race this weekend at Conyer Horse park. I LOVE bar ends on all my HT SS and gears bikes. I haven't try it with the fs yet. We'll see. I love the different hand positions and the leverage when going up hill on the SS. I'm so used to it that climbing without bar ends feel really weird.
    Conyers would suck for a 24 hour race! Last time I rode there, the trail was fun, but it was seriously rough. I cant wait to go back to Atlanta and ride my home trails.

As for the bar ends, I swear by em, but i actually took em off for the "dead dog" Trussville AL race this weekend. Short punchy climbs dont warrant bar ends. They really shine on the long extended/steep ones.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I got rid of mine on my last bike after I took one to the kidney and whizzed blood for a week lol. Probably not the greatest reasoning but I feel alot more comfortable now.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have ran bar ends since '96. When I bought my Epic in '09, I tried the stock riser bar without bar ends for a coupe rides, but just didn't feel right with that set up. Bought an EA70 flat bar, a set of bar ends, and have been very happy since.

Most of my climbing is seated, and as mentioned, the position of my hands/arms feels more natural to me with a flat bar & bar ends.

Chris

It's about showing up.
    Mine came off in about '99. End of story.
    I don't rattle.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    Mine came off in about '99. End of story.
    +1

I still sometimes just grab the end of the bar (without barends) for short periods and it gives me a few seconds to change positions during long races.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    I think I would like to try the Ergon's someday. The website says they are not compatible with carbon bars, but there are probably many riders that use them that way.
    Get it unlocked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast