Thread: Bar ends

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Bar ends

What happened to bar ends?

When I raced in the mid-90's they were all over. Now you don't see very many if any racing with them. What happened?

mtbr member
    People say riser bars killed them, which I don't understand. The point of bar ends for me is to bring the body forward to use different angles on muscles for climbing. I love the power I can make when I spread out over the bike on the bar ends. I use titec micros.

Just Ride.
    I don't use them atm but I love them. When I can afford to get some nice light ends I will be running them again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Bar ends kept getting caught on stuff along the side of the trail. So now I have a set of carbon fiber bar ends collecting dust in the basement. Anybody interested? )

Just Ride.
    For free?

Giant Anthem

bar ends made me happy

Just put some ergon grips with the bar ends on my race bike for my race last week-I didn't want the extra weight but I did it anyway. It made a huge difference in my climbing, allowing me to stand up more and it gave me an extra element of control and comfort on the flats and descents. I will not be taking these off anytime soon except to replace with a lighter version.
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fst4u
    Just put some ergon grips with the bar ends on my race bike for my race last week-I didn't want the extra weight but I did it anyway. It made a huge difference in my climbing, allowing me to stand up more and it gave me an extra element of control and comfort on the flats and descents. I will not be taking these off anytime soon except to replace with a lighter version.
    +1... I just mount the ergon grips with bar ends for a 100km marathon. WOW! they are on the heavy side,but they are staying for sure !

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Yup

Ergons are bringing them back.

For me, they went away because of carbon bars. I couldn't get a bar that wouldn't crush or come delaminated, and frankly, after taking the bar ends off, I got used to not having them and it was no big deal. Now that I have bars made for them (syntace) and the ergon grips, they are back and I am happy.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    They all left and went to Europe

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    They're still being used. At least on my bikes. As for them getting caught on stuff alongside the trail mine don't because they're looooong. I began using longer bar ends after a few encounters with trees. I'd rather bounce the bar end off a tree than my hand. And since I use my ATB exclusively the added length means additional hand positions on-road. The ones I'm currently using are so long that I can actually use them on-road to get into a modified aero position. Definitely helps on those long road rides into strong winds.

Just Ride.
    These are my favourites. I'll get some when I get some cash.

http://www.canecreek.com/component-o...t=ergo-control

gunslinger
    Ran 'em 1.5 decades ago down in SoCal, but gave 'em up just cuz. Not really missing anything IMO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Love them and can't imagine not using them...my hands are not on them only when I need to brake.

New MTB XC Racer
    Warning Ergon bar end users ! ! !

One summer night while doing a 24 hr solo race (Summer Solstice Ont) a tree reached out and tried to steal my awesome grips ! ! ! I fought desperately head over heals to keep it from getting them. Chain ring cuts on my left leg, scrapes and bruises, lights flying all over the forest ! In the end, with the help of several riders following, I managed to scare off the tree, collect my lights and continue on.
    To this day I still have my Ergons with bar ends

Seriously, before the Ergons my hands would get so bad during a 24hr that they were numb for a week and I could hardly tie my shoes or zipper my jacket.
    For my local races I sometimes switch out to my foam grips(40g total with caps) and my hands are a bit sore after, but that's racing
    One negative, other than the obvious, tree thieves, I find I get so comfy out on the ends that I sometimes am in a tricky section at speed and need to grab a whole lot of brakes. This sometimes makes for interesting moments

I do like to use old style bar ends for commuting as well.
    I think bar ends are not gone, just evolving into smaller renditions of them

Cheers,
    Paul

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I bought some and put them on last weekend; and they are already off my bike. Its probably just me/my setup but they didnt seem to help much and they restricted how wide I could place my hands on the bars. I guess to each their own.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    They are supposed to be used uphill, but I believe that they allow for a much more relaxed grip on the handlebar when going down.
    This is especially helful on long , rough downhill. Singe your hand cannot slip past the bar end, you can avoid the classical "death grip" and focus on picking the best line.
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

N23
    mtbr member
    It helps when I need to get out of the seat and change my grip angle. Additionally, it helps me throw the bike around when I feel the need to push harder.

mtbr member
    Couldn't live without my Cane Creeks. Heavy but oh so comfy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    dont bump this ****

innate behaviour

Already hashed out in Endurance Section

There was already a huge debate about this recently in the endurance section!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Every week there's one...

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Bar ends are wicked for out of the saddle climbing. If that is way you climb then bar-ends are the way to go. If you climb in the saddle then other than giving a different hand position for comfort they don't really serve any purpose.

mtbr member
    When bar ends were "in" I had them on my bike, but later I realized that I never really used them, so now it just one less thing that I have to haul up the hill. I have also eliminated a lot of other parts by switching ot 1X9 and tubless also.