noob

Balance between geared and ss training

What do you guys think is a good balance between riding geared and ss for xc training. My geared bike is and will be my race bike. I just got a ss and love riding it but need to find the right balance of riding both bikes.
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

mtbr member
    I'm no expert, all I can tell you is what I did. However, I am faster this year than last. Last year was also my first year XC racing, so I could probably say that no matter what I did with my SS. But I did take about 10 minutes off my first race of the year. More than anyone else who did the race both years.

Anyway, I pretty much rode my SS Mukluk all winter, but now that I have my geared bike out (starting about mid-March), I have been riding it almost exclusively for MTB riding. But I still ride SS on the road. With sometimes commuting, I spend about 40% road, 60% dirt time-wise. Seems like a good mix to me.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    I generally ride gears for 'training' type rides, not that I do a ton of those, and SS for rides that are more fun oriented. I think mixing gears and SS is helpful, mostly due to the way SS encourages keeping momentum up on Singletrack.

mtbr member
    I like the rigid SS when I am working offload on things like lines, handling, etc.

I like the gears when I am doing intervals and want to keep the hr in a specific zone for training.

The percentage is whatever I feel like that day. I can't help but be happy when I am out on one gear.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    The SS is a great way to get in a fartlek interval session. I race the SS, so I use the geared bike for recovery rides.

mtbr member
    CB - do you only train on the SS then? I race SS also, but I feel like if I trained on it exclusively, I'd need more rest days than if I mix up training between the SS, geared, and road bike.
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by longshanks View Post
    CB - do you only train on the SS then? I race SS also, but I feel like if I trained on it exclusively, I'd need more rest days than if I mix up training between the SS, geared, and road bike.
    Recovery rides are part of training.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    Recovery rides are part of training.
    Of course, but I was more wondering about hard training efforts though - if you did all those on the SS or if you mixed it up.
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

banned
    In the past I would ride the SS once a week for XC training, now that I race SS I only ride the geared bike for recovery rides. I can usually go 3 days in a row on the SS before I need to lighten the load to gears.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by longshanks View Post
    Of course, but I was more wondering about hard training efforts though - if you did all those on the SS or if you mixed it up.
    Generally my hard efforts are on the SS.
    But if that's a rule it's made to be broken.