Thread: Is it bad?

mtbr member

Is it bad?

Going to try to keep this short, so it's not incredibly long but knowing I might leave relevant info out - so if I do I'll add more.

The first race in my series doesn't start until June. Last year was my first year of racing and so I'm catting up this year. I was always a recreational rider, so any extra riding I did last year, whether miles or hours on the bike was a big bonus. Especially since I raised the intensity level.

Since I'm catting up this year, I'm already starting to do some high intensity training. Not everyday but considerably more than I ever have. Let's say I'm riding the trainer about 4 days per week and doing a sufferfest video and sometimes 2 in a row, then a spin class. So 3 out of 4 days of training are at high intensity, long sustained periods of increased Heart Rate.

Is this a bad idea this far away from the actual race series? Am I possibly going to burn my self out? General thoughts?
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yes, I think it is too much intensity for January if your first race is in June.

If this is your second year of racing, it would be more beneficial to build a solid base before starting with that intensity.

As it has been already commented many times on this forum, try to follow an structured training program (i.e. MTB Bible by Friel).

Basically, on the first weeks you should do mostly endurance rides in Z2, with some spin-ups and some force drills.

Build up slowly, so that you don't burn down come April or May, let alone June!

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Trainers are a beast to ride. Some people can put long steady hours on them, but those people are few and far between and usually not quite right in the head.

Most people to ride the trainer need structured intensity. If they don't have structure they don't ride. The key thing is to recognize that you are not going to be able to do 3 hard workouts a week for every week between now and June. In March or April as you start to ride outside, back off the intensity and ramp up your volume for a month or two. It is the reverse of a classical training program but a lot of athlete do that with success.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    If you're doing a single peak that's in mid-late summer, then you really shouldn't be "training" till March anyway, IMO.

For now, exercise enough to keep your weight in control. Go lift some weights, have fun, cross train, go ski, ride some bike when the weather is good, etc.

I've decided that for 2013 I will focus on cyclocross. Since this season goes to mid-December, I won't start "training" till April probably (14-15 hour weeks, that's what I call training, for me). For now, I'm just in exercise mode (crossfit and xc ski) and not riding the bike, unless it's a real nice winter day outside.

From the few years I've spent training, I know I can only mentally last 8-9 months, so why start early?
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 01-15-2013 at 11:27 AM.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    I am not a good racer or an expert on training.

I think you're going to peak way too early and be toast by June. Look for smart people locally and ask what they do. Their weekly schedule including active recovery and any off the bike workouts, diet, sleep, equipment, must do/must avoid races, pick their brains about everything. Plus it's more fun to train with other people with similar goals. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Whats could be wrong with your approach is not the high intensity per se, but more your hability to handle such a training load, given you seem to have a short experience with structured/serious/intense cycling training or whatever you want to call it. You need to remain progressive with your training stress, otherwise your CNS could shut things off and you'd be quite burnt out.

I'd start progressively, factor in good recovery and see how it goes from there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Trainers are a beast to ride. Some people can put long steady hours on them, but those people are few and far between and usually not quite right in the head.
    Who you calling psycho?
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team