Thread: Asthma

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Asthma

Well, at 50 years old it seems I have developed exercise induced adult onset asthma. (WTF???)

It's not something where I think I'm going to die - the inhaler helps a lot but I still feel like I'm breathing through a straw during hard efforts.

Anybody else living with and managing asthma?

not really an mtbr member
    I'm 19 and have been living with asthma basically my whole life. It's usually manageable; I just can't think about working out without my inhaler.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I always carry my inhaler on me but the biggest thing I try to do is to control my breathing. Focus on breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth in a controlled manner. I do, however, still get cut short on my rides when I'm really trying to push hard. It sucks but it's just something I've learned to deal with.

mtbr member
    I have exercise induced asthma and after trying a few different inhalers (ventolin/albuteral) and daily treatments (advair, and another similar) my allergist suggested to use a nebulizer treatment 15-60 minutes before I ride. I cannot believe how much it has helped. I use chromlyn sodium and it works so much better than the others with no side effects for me. If I have to travel I use a power inverter in the car to run the nebulizer. You can also get battery powered nebulizers. It even works better than the rescue inhaler (albuteral) when I start to get the wheezing after a ride.

This along with a slow warm up makes a world of difference for me.
    "I ain't right!"
    Fatback 190
    Stumpy Marathon
    El Mariachi SS

mtbr member
    It's not something where I think I'm going to die - the inhaler helps a lot but I still feel like I'm breathing through a straw during hard efforts.
    I know exactly how you feel and it sucks. I too developed this in my mid 30s. At this point I don't use anything for it. I have used an inhaler in the past but it really didn't do much for me just gave me a head ache and made me sick to my stomach. I experience the "breathing through a straw" feeling during nearly every race. Usually it's the first 20-30 minutes of the race then it gets a little better but every now and then it lasts the entire race. I'd love to find something to help this that doesn't require going to the doctor all of the time or being tied down to some medication like a crack addict.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I find a good warm up to bring on an attack, get yourself under control then go for your ride helps from having an attack on the bike. I would get on the spinner to bring on an attack before a hockey game then I seemed to fair alot better. Also on a bad day I will turn a harder gear to use up the legs instead of my lungs. Flovent has me pretty much under control now a days one puff in the morning good to go, some other friends have had good luck with singulair which is a pill everyday but it works for them. I searched the forum awhile back and found some good info. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My wife has it pretty bad. She takes Advair, Singulair, and claritin everyday. She basically wouldn't be able to race without the medications. It's much worse for her in cold weather, where she occasionally will need her rescue inhaler. A few years ago, before we started riding and racing, her symptoms were much worse. They have greatly improved along with her fitness.

I pretty much close up if I don't take my claritin and flonase daily (really bad allergies). Sucks, but thankfully there are a number of medications out there for treatment these days. As such, don't settle if you feel it isn't under control! Keep trying things until you feel better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Singulair and allegra are my salvation. Without them, I'm constantly reaching for my inhaler. With them, I hardly touch the inhaler. I do use a couple preventative inhaler blasts typically before a race, but I forgot to before one race this year and was fine. I credit the singulair.

I'd rather be riding
    I use singulair and typically take a shot of my rescue inhaler before hard rides/races. Works for me with the exception of a bad attack recently that was brought on by using insect repellent preride.

mtbr member
    don't settle if you feel it isn't under control! Keep trying things until you feel better.
    You're right. I actually went back to doctor today for another evaluation. Allergies are very bad right now and I've been taking Claritin but according to my doctor Zyrtec is better so I started on that today. Also, I've experienced adverse side effects with Albuterol and Advair so he prescribed a few different inhalers to try (can't remember the names right now) and an oral steroid. We'll see. Right now I feel much better than I have in months with only a couple of doses. I hate taking medications but I also hate not being able to breathe so maybe I'll stick with this stuff for a while.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerwah View Post
    You're right. I actually went back to doctor today for another evaluation. Allergies are very bad right now and I've been taking Claritin but according to my doctor Zyrtec is better so I started on that today. Also, I've experienced adverse side effects with Albuterol and Advair so he prescribed a few different inhalers to try (can't remember the names right now) and an oral steroid. We'll see. Right now I feel much better than I have in months with only a couple of doses. I hate taking medications but I also hate not being able to breathe so maybe I'll stick with this stuff for a while.
    Doper.

mtbr member
    Doper.
    I know right I thought someone here might bust me. For what it's worth the doctor did not give me any clenbuterol as far as I know.